PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get plans for put puts?

Colin Howkins
22nd August 2007, 09:22 PM
:?Some of you kind folk may be able to give me a lead as to where I can get plans for wooden put puts.

Have googled it and have not had much luck

Thanks in advance

Colin Howkins
Graceville. Qld

bitingmidge
22nd August 2007, 10:40 PM
David Payne (payneyachts.com/)

Cheers,

P:D

graemet
22nd August 2007, 10:53 PM
What Midge said!

bsrlee
23rd August 2007, 01:33 AM
If you mean the childs toy powered by a candle, Lee Valley sell a kit of all the parts for the 'motor'.

As for the inboard motor cruiser, I suspect the main problem will be sourcing the engine.

bitingmidge
23rd August 2007, 08:11 AM
If you mean the childs toy powered by a candle, Lee Valley sell a kit of all the parts for the 'motor'.

As for the inboard motor cruiser, I suspect the main problem will be sourcing the engine.
The toy boats are usually referred to as Pop-pops and they are readily available in toy shops and on the web. Plans to build one in tin can be found here (http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/buildpop.htm).

Engines for putt putt boats, so called because of the noise their single or sometimes twin cylinder engines make are still being manufactured and re-manufactured by at least one company.

The last address I had for the manufacturer's of the Blaxland was:
BLAXLAND CHAPMAN MARINE ENGINES. BLAXLAND RAE Pty Ltd. 132 Princess Highway Arncliffe

That was a few years ago. Duck Flat Wooden Boats had a couple for sale in their auction recently, it may pay to give them a call as a start.

cheers,

P
:D

Boatmik
23rd August 2007, 08:32 PM
Second hand motors do come up from time to time. Condition can vary, but one big improvement is to get a solid state (electronic) magneto.

MIK

Wombat200
8th November 2007, 04:15 PM
Engines are not too difficult to come by - I'm in the process of selling a very nice little Penguin 4hp 2-stroke.

Blaxland / Chapman 2-strokes are still fairly common around the place

Olds, of Queensland, are also still making these little inboards, theres is a 4-stroke petrol. And I'm fairly sure Hardman & Hall still build their Simplex single & twin cylinder engines (basicly a 1/4 or 1/2 of a model T engine).

Many small diesels are suitable for conversion, too.

Having built & repairs many small inboard boats over the years, I can say that the small inboard motor launch is a lovely style of boat to own & use..... Good luck to those attempting to build one for the first time!

TK1
9th November 2007, 10:20 AM
Hi,

Wombat - I've sent you an email (via the forums) regarding the Penguin engine, PM me here if you don't get it.

Colin, if you're still looking for plans, as said David Payne is the way to go. I've been looking for a while too and haven't come across much better than David's (and recently bought his kayak plans, which I'll start on soon - very clear and easy to read).

I tried Selway-Fisher, Glen-L, and a few other overseas ones but David's seem the nicest.

You caould also try the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydne,y they have a huge number of plans on file and very helpful staff, they may have soemthing from one of the period Australian builders they can copy and send you. I'v gotten plans from there in the past, a great resource.

Regards,
Darren

Colin Howkins
9th November 2007, 11:13 PM
Have got plans from David- currently my shed is going through a metamorphosis. All been re clad in weatherboards, doors & windows fitted. About to be painted. 20amp circuit going in. Come the week of 3/12/07 in comes the new Felder K 500S with 2.5m table.

Got a mate who is also a bit keen on boats also. For a quid he makes boilers and the like and is an absolute steam nut. He is trying to convince me to put in a steam engine. The deal being he will build me an engine if I help him build a boat - also a put put. It's probably going to take a bit to get my head around as last time I built [part] was 40 or so years ago.

The steam engine thing has got me thinking. It'd be different and I would have somewhere to get rid of the offcuts

What input from you esteemed gentlemen?

Thanks & regards

Colin Howkins
Graceville Qld

Wombat200
11th November 2007, 10:22 PM
Steam is great, but has two drawbacks....

You will need a steam engineers ticket to drive it;

It take a bit of time to work up steam before you can puff & hiss away - so if you want to keep the thing on a trailer to just drop in & use, steam probably isn't the go....

Near one of the yards I worked in, an old fella had a 15ft steam launch - absolutely gorgeous. But it used to take him 30-40mins to get enogh steam up to motor off.......

A small diesel is the go in a re-created putt-putt. Some people have even built dummy steam engines over the diesel engine box ;)

Boatmik
12th November 2007, 08:07 AM
Howdy Wombat,

I think you are underestimating just how nice other people's steam engines are! I would be very pleased if Colin puts in a steam engine!

I love the smell of anthracite, and they are just about silent, they look gorgeos, and you can draw off water to make a pot of tea - I guess it would be possible to use it to make a proper latte with a correctly shaped spout and valve!

Along with liking and enjoying other peoples steam engines ...

I like other peoples babies

And I like other people's gardens.

All these things add so much to a beautful and lively environment.

For me own boat - yep - an electric start diesel - every time!!!!!

I can still enjoy other peoples' steam engines that way and I'd certainly idle on over for a look and a chat!

Best wishes to all
MIK

Wombat200
14th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Howdy Wombat,

I think you are underestimating just how nice other people's steam engines are! I would be very pleased if Colin puts in a steam engine!

I love the smell of anthracite, and they are just about silent, they look gorgeos, and you can draw off water to make a pot of tea - I guess it would be possible to use it to make a proper latte with a correctly shaped spout and valve!

Along with liking and enjoying other peoples steam engines ...

I like other peoples babies

And I like other people's gardens.

All these things add so much to a beautful and lively environment.

For me own boat - yep - an electric start diesel - every time!!!!!

I can still enjoy other peoples' steam engines that way and I'd certainly idle on over for a look and a chat!

Best wishes to all
MIK

I think you've summed up my approach to steam beautifully - great if someone else owns it!!

cruiser
17th July 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi folks, regarding the putt putt engines, there is a place which (was) and I think still is located in Seven Hills NSW that still sells the Blaxland Chapman engines new. They use to be sold by St George Motors but then this place took on the engine sales and service. I restore old engines and the old Blaxlands that were used in salt water have all been U/S that I have found. There are 2 members in our engine club that have one. One was used in fresh water and was fine and the other one runs a water pump.

Cheers :)
Art.