PDA

View Full Version : sherwood drill press table rack

ajwa
22nd August 2007, 10:59 PM
has anyone ideas on how to stop the rack on the leg of a drill stand from coming away from the the leg. we have tighten the stop ring at the top the best we can and it still moves away the leg when the table ai wound down.
AJ
:C

Harry72
23rd August 2007, 10:43 PM
Is the stop ring slipping on the shaft?

Check the end of the grub screw in the stop collar, if its smooth and shiney rough it up a little with a coarse file, make sure the stop collar area on the shaft has no oil on it until after the grub screw is tightened.

If this doesnt help you may need to drill and tap another 1 or 2 grub screws into the collar.

Andy Mac
24th August 2007, 12:01 AM
Sometimes those collars aren't made from very strong material, even nylon on some cheapies. I had the same problem, with the collar deforming when the grub screw was tightened, so I made another collar out of flat bar steel to encircle the original one, and this stopped the problem pretty well.
Another problem is the rack itself bowing out when winding the height adjust handle...caused by not releasing the lock on the pedestal, and can weaken or snap the rack.

Cheers,

Sprog
24th August 2007, 01:38 AM
has anyone ideas on how to stop the rack on the leg of a drill stand from coming away from the the leg. we have tighten the stop ring at the top the best we can and it still moves away the leg when the table ai wound down.
AJ
:C

Check out this link
http://www.piricdesign.com.au/
Click on the Easy Riser link.

With the Easy Riser you will never have to worry about the winding mechanism again and life will be oh so much easier :-)
You will also be supporting one of the sponsors.

The Easy Riser is a great device.

BobL
24th August 2007, 02:05 PM
With all respect to Terry @ Piric (He is a terrific fellow and I have a WASP and 2 of his blowflys, both very useful) a pulley based lifter for a DP is also quite easy to make.

See this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=400234&postcount=20) post where I show a very simple external pulley system.

If you decide to make it yourself, the most difficult thing can be finding a decent counterweight to balance out the DP table. In my case I needed a heavier counterweight because I leave a cross slider vice more or less permanently mounted on the DP table and I add a wooden table on top of that when I'm drilling panels etc.

Although it's much neater (as per the Easy Rider kit) if the counter weight can be located inside the DP column, the easy rider pulley can interfere with the 3 pulley/2 belt systems used on some DPs meaning you lose the bottom 2 pulley locations, so mounting the whole thing outside avoids this problem. The way around this for such DPs when using the easy rider is to change the equal length belts for unequal lengths

A few months ago I added 2 extra kgs of counterweight to my set up and it now works very well.

K_S
24th August 2007, 02:18 PM
I have a similar situation and I was thinking of adding a hose clip just under the collar.
Comments welcome

ajwa
31st August 2007, 07:43 PM
thanks
the drill is a friends workshop that he kindly lets me into. After looking at it again I think the problem is caused by not unlocking before winding down as AndyMac has said .
Cheers Al