PDA

View Full Version : Filling large areas

fcm
6th July 2001, 12:05 PM
I have had some experience with filling in cracks and holes in the likes of tables, but I'm sure there must be a better way?
I've used car-bog mixed with black base paint tint with success on smaller cracks and where matching natural feature is desired - like red gum.
For larger areas (ie. size of your thumb to the size of a fist or long sections) I've used fibre glass resin again mixed with a black tint.
Are there any better methods/products I can try, especially for the larger jobs?

Rod Smith
6th July 2001, 03:05 PM
G'day
For knotty stuff like pine, you can use a peice of fruit tree (dry), stick it in with some car bog, I use universal tints to get the colour for the bog. I have also just used the bog. What sort of timber and furniture are you into?
Cheers
Rod

Shane Watson
6th July 2001, 05:18 PM
Pays to use caution when using car bog or anything with a solid colour on open grained timbers. If you apply the stuff outside the crack, hole etc you will also fill the grain surounding it. This can be near impossible to remove. A keen eye will pick this up even if the colour is rather close to that of the timber. Also the pigments used to colour the bog can darken the area of timber it is applied to & some timbers will soak this up rather deep, like some pines.

Anyway, just my 5.5cents inc. GST for the day.....

Cheers...

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

fcm
9th July 2001, 10:39 AM
The main timbers I use are red gum and vic ash. I must admit I've had a couple of fair size sanding jobs where car bog has grain filled the surrounding area on vic ash.
Solution was to use masking tape and fully tape up to the edges of the hole being filled. I haven't had any trouble with colour bleed with these timbers (yet).

The best result I've had was using fibre
glass resin with the slightest tint of black on a red gum coffee table top - it matched the other black feature but unlike solid car bog, you could also see into the timber.

Thanks for the feedback, Mark

[This message has been edited by fcm (edited 09 July 2001).]