PDA

View Full Version : Best concert you've ever been to

Pages : [1] 2

namtrak
24th August 2007, 11:30 AM
Festival or Band doesn't matter.

Going along with the Best .......... thing ever theme!

I love live music and I added it up one day to over 70 bands (of note) that I have seen and an inifinite number of bands of no note (literally and figuratively)

I saw Bob Dylan about 20 years ago when he toured with Tom Petty and I though he was crap.

Dire Straits were all right and the Pink Floyd tour was a great show.

But my favourite concerts were:

1. A Hot Chocolate cover band that used to play in a dodgy dive called the Johhny Mac in Wagga. The stage was about as big as a kitchen table and the lead singer got around on roller skates. Used to be a great night!!

2. Stevie Ray Vaughan when he played at the Horden Pavillion in Sydney. His support band was Jimmy Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, and at the end of their set, Jimmy was left alone on stage playing the bottom neck of this double necked guitar, with a spotlight on him. After a few minutes of blazing guitar work this pair of hands lent over his shoulders and absolutely blew us all away - I nearly wet my pants!!!!! I still have the ticket!!

Bleedin Thumb
24th August 2007, 11:48 AM
Flying Pickets at the Enmore about 86??? Not an instrument in sight - a cappala. They did about 5 encores and the crowd was wild.

2nd was the Gill Scott Herron at the Metro

silentC
24th August 2007, 11:49 AM
Pink Floyd, definately
John Cougar Mellenchamp were good in their day
Roger Waters
KISS were hilarious, especially when the cherry picker got stuck and they had to rescue Ace and Paul Stanley

The Cure were crap. I fell asleep during Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, Sting was boring.

Best pub gig would have to be Armando Hurley and band at the Manly Hotel every Sunday arvo in 1988 with a pub full of backpackers and a girlfriend who worked behind the bar.

Honorary Bloke
24th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Rolling Stones 5 times. :oo: SWMBO is addicted and thinks money is no object. :( :rolleyes: :D

derekh
24th August 2007, 12:41 PM
I saw Marianne Faithfull back in 1995 in Canberra. Problem was, her performance was the evening of our wedding anniversary. Big problem was, I only bought one ticket. I had a great night !

Andy Mac
24th August 2007, 01:23 PM
Most spectacular, maybe because I was young and impressionable, was Alice Cooper "Welcome to my nightmare" show at Perth Entertainment Centre, late 70's.
Best for wall-to-wall atmosphere was Midnight Oil at the Old Melbourne Hotel in Perth, or maybe them at that nightclub near Tallebudgerra, early to mid 80's.
Best for sheer noise and guitar skills was Roy Buchanan at the Roxy in Fortitude Valley, late 80's.
My favourite artist in concert, very laid back, soulful & moving, was Harry Manx at Woodford Folk Festival...about 3 times!

Cheers,

Grunt
24th August 2007, 01:27 PM
Jethro Tull 1993. :)

Pink Floyd was great

Worse concert I went to was Van Morrison in '84. He didn't want to be there.

I saw Dire Straits in '85. It was the last convert of a world tour. They were tired.

Chris

Bleedin Thumb
24th August 2007, 05:45 PM
In the earlyish to mid 80's I use to love the live local (underground)scene in Sydney. Madroom/ Box the Jesuit, Smash Mac Mac, The Deadly Hume and not to forget (Melbournes)Shower Scene From Psycho..

The weirdest band I think I've seen but great fun ...these were the days just before post-lobotomy haircuts, silver suits and patent leather winkle pickers:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzJFIkLp9M

markharrison
24th August 2007, 06:21 PM
Ray Charles in 2000 at the Cinerama theatre in Seattle. The theatre itself is worth the price of admission! What can I say, Ray Charles and his big band. He might have been an old man even then but he was still sensational.

Someone I was surprised to be impressed by is Chris Isaak. We went on a whim (the unusual offer of baby sitting by my sister-in-law) and bought tickets at the last minute. We went to see him at Enmore and we stood right at the front. He is a great live act.

If you get the chance, also check the Chris Isaak Show that was on Foxtel (Comedy Channel I recall). It was really unusual. Not the usual American sitcom.

namtrak
24th August 2007, 06:32 PM
In the earlyish to mid 80's I use to love the live local (underground)scene in Sydney. .........

Which reminds of the night at the Kardomah Cafe at the 'Cross. I emerged after about 12 hours of silly carrying on to the Beasts of Bourbon, into a full on weekday mid morning - very surreal.......

Big Shed
24th August 2007, 06:47 PM
Not exactly a concert, but went to see Cats in London in the eighties.

Great show.

Only thing that peed me off was that I bought the tickets here in Oz, and on the night found that I could have bought them for half price from the scalpers:oo:

Oh well, one born every minute...................

Lignum
24th August 2007, 07:07 PM
In the earlyish to mid 80's I use to love the live local (underground)scene in Sydney. Madroom/ Box the Jesuit, Smash Mac Mac, The Deadly Hume and not to forget (Melbournes)Shower Scene From Psycho..

And you would have remembered this then - Great band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJuoyu4lC0

The other good thing about Sydney back then was JJJ what a belter of a station, not like the crap it became after becomming national

wheelinround
24th August 2007, 07:09 PM
:(:( Sadly due to mothers $40 board out my wage of $60 not much left.
Then the mighty $$$ and starting a family by age 20 buying house etc 70's 80's concerts passed me by
Well ok all but 1 Elton John at Randwick when he released Yellow Brick Road 7 encores and the band members dragged him off the stage and litteraly threw him in the limo could see from where we were sitting.
Recent Moody Blues.
Stage shows JC Superstar, Godspell a few smaller productions
Jon English De;tones Jan & Dean at a Club
Peter Paul & Mary a few times
Peter alone a few times when he's done christian stuff.

Tonyz
24th August 2007, 07:10 PM
Neil Daimond ... New Zealand early 70's Open air concert did Skybird with sun setting behind stage and jumbo 747 came in on a slow fly over. Said later the plane had landing gear trouble and wanting to burn off fuel buzzed Christchurch for awhile.

Best musical concert... Hell call me stupid was the 'evening fireworks musical thing at Disneyland Anaheim Los Angeles 1982

Bleedin Thumb
24th August 2007, 07:14 PM
Which reminds of the night at the Kardomah Cafe at the 'Cross. I emerged after about 12 hours of silly carrying on to the Beasts of Bourbon, into a full on weekday mid morning - very surreal.......

Thats how I ended up living here. I was on my way to WA to study Geology having traveled from Townsville and my sister took me out to the Manzel Room in the Cross... at the end of the night I walked out into bright sunshine and said "this is the place for me!":D that was 1983.

martrix
24th August 2007, 07:27 PM
Rage Against The Machine at the now burnt down Palace in St kilda.

Nothing will ever come close to that raw anger.....

SoundGarden were pretty cool to at the BDO.:cool:

Ianab
24th August 2007, 07:32 PM
Best concerts - U2 and BB King at Western Springs Auckland or David Bowie (serious Moonlight) also at Western Sprngs.

Best local concerts - Split Enz or Cold Chisel at Brooklands bowl in New Plymouth - before the locals realized they could complain to the council and get noise limits put on the outdoor concerts :((

Last 12 months - REM at the Bowl in NP or U2 in Auckland

Bands I need to see, Metallica and Pearl Jam :2tsup:

Cheers

Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2007, 07:44 PM
First concert I ever saw was Johnny Farnham, back in the "Raindrops" dayz. Not exactly spectacular, but it's one of the few that I still remember clearly, even after all this time.

ELO in the Sydney-Meyer (sp?) Music bowl in Melbourne... first laser show I ever saw and it blew me away.

A while later Pink Floyd :2tsup::2tsup: and they more than upped the ante in the FX dept. I sorely wish I'd been a bit soberer at the time...

On t'other end of the scale, I paid a small fortune to see Jerry Lee Lewis (back in my greaser period :-) and he was so he couldn't make it to the piano without assistance. Tried kicking the stool out of his way and fell over, even with a bloke under each arm. Mangled a couple of songs, fell off the stool, abused the audience and crawled off into the wings. No graceful aging there. :no::~

Barry_White
24th August 2007, 08:16 PM
This will show my age. The only live concert I have ever been to in my life was a Johnnie Ray concert at the old Sydney Boxing stadium at Rushcutters Bay in Sydney in about 1954.

The stadium has long gone not sure about Johnnie Ray.

http://www.johnnieray.com/entrance.html

Bleedin Thumb
24th August 2007, 08:21 PM
And you would have remembered this then - Great band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJuoyu4lC0

The other good thing about Sydney back then was JJJ what a belter of a station, not like the crap it became after becomming national

Nah, sorry Lig doesn't ring a bell at all. I know of most of those bands that are on the playlist beside that video ie Vanilla chainsaws, laughing clowns et all but I didn't arrive in Syd till 83 before that (what I call my lost years) I was working in far Nth Qld in the bush.

Music in those years was listening to cassettes of Alan Parsons Project, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello and The Cars played and repeated add nauseam.:D

fred.n
24th August 2007, 08:34 PM
The Sweetwater concerts in the 80's just out of Auckland somewhere:?
Thems was the dayz....

Doughboy
24th August 2007, 08:48 PM
I once saw The Wiggles and they went off!:U

Groggy
24th August 2007, 08:49 PM
The Moody Blues at Bruce Stadium.

speedy
24th August 2007, 08:57 PM
First live concert Sherbert in 1974.
Now the best concerts are the free ones I get to work at, they pay me $50.00 and hour to sit there and enjoy the show, gee I love my job. :D :2tsup:

Bleedin Thumb
24th August 2007, 09:53 PM
First concert for me was Chain supported by Axiom and the Masters Apprentices( I think). They played on the back of a flatbed truck at some shopping Centre in Brissy. I was all of 8 or 9 maybe and I remember the bass pounding my chest ...man I was an addict from then on in.:o

Harry72
24th August 2007, 10:20 PM
Best musically was a Powder Finger concert(Vulture street) with JBT and Spiderbait as supporting bands.

But the most awesome concert I've been was Iron Madein's "live after death" tour in Adelaide was about 1985~6.
They had their mascot(Eddie)as a huge robot whose arms and head came out across the crowd, the 1st time it came out it was in pitch blackness then they lit it up... just about everyone shyster themselfs!

Wild Dingo
24th August 2007, 10:34 PM
Most spectacular, maybe because I was young and impressionable, was Alice Cooper "Welcome to my nightmare" show at Perth Entertainment Centre, late 70's.

Cheers,

YOU WERE THERE TO??? MAN!!! that was probably THE best concert EVER!! :2tsup:

Worst... Elton John his first concert in Australia at the WACA (or was it Subi Oval? Damned if I remember now)... friggin gave me the utter shytes

Second best Joe Cocker... drinkin Johnny Walker or Jim Beam by the bottle on stage propping himself up on Leon Russells piano... man can that bloke SING!!! :2tsup: Saw him had my pic taken and smoked a joint with him at the Carrie movie the next night seriously the man is a gentleman :2tsup:

Most fun... Dr Hook an the medicine show... laughed my ass off all night :2tsup:

For some reason I was shanghaied and taken to see... Devo... most pathetic bullshyte excuse for a "live concert ever" bloody movie!! I left halfway through in disgust

Beach boys got the same result when Brian Wilson was so damned stoned he couldnt phart straight the music was utter shyte and the phiss poor excuses they gave made me chuck! :~

Best pub bands
DAVE HOLE BAND... Best damned overhanded slide guitarist EVER! PERIOD!
Matt Taylor and Chain (great stoned mellow music for the folksy type hippy yippie yaya set :; )
But then Im biased as I roadied for Dave for a couple of years...

Best pub scene... White Sands and Scarborough hotels along with the OBH in Swanbourne... and in 1979 the Vic in Darwin... and for sheer spectacular fun to view a band from the bar the Spinifex hotel in Derby :U oooh the fights oooh the stupidity ohhh the wonderous spectacular idiots :U

ahh some good times back then :2tsup:

wheelinround
25th August 2007, 07:10 AM
The Moody Blues at Bruce Stadium.

Thought I was the only one

Justin is performing in the War Of The Worlds around AU http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=WAROFTHE07&searchId=287644ae-e73b-406c-969c-1fd033eff098

Worst pub gig was at Jindabine Hotel roup called the Naked Skull started out ok by the trid song loclas were ready to lynch the publican but through the band out instead paid the DJ an extra $50 and he worked for the rest of the night

Andy Mac
25th August 2007, 11:05 AM
YOU WERE THERE TO??? MAN!!! that was probably THE best concert EVER!! :2tsup:

Funny I didn't see you there!:D Also saw Status Quo, Chuck Berry and others there. My first concert was Gary Glitter at the WACA, back in about 1974! AC/DC at Subi oval

Best pub bands
DAVE HOLE BAND... Best damned overhanded slide guitarist EVER! PERIOD!
Matt Taylor and Chain (great stoned mellow music for the folksy type hippy yippie yaya set :; )
But then Im biased as I roadied for Dave for a couple of years...

Best pub scene... White Sands and Scarborough hotels along with the OBH in Swanbourne...

Yep, I was in amongst all that scene, loved the Sands, especially when Dave Hole played and the OBH, at North Cott. Remember a local band called Everest then too? Bit of groupie for them!

ahh some good times back then :2tsup:

Too right, my old surfie days!

Lignum
25th August 2007, 12:03 PM
The JamTarts at the Seaview in freo were always great value. Ben Elton seen them and ended up marrying one of the Tarts

And also as mentioned before by Andy Mac, the Oils down near the Tallebudgerra (was it the playroom:?) i think it was `82 and Peter Garret was like a giant kettle, steam was just pissing of him so great the energy he was giving it. Shame they went all crap and political.

And the poor support band was heckled after the 2nd song to the chants of "we want the oils, we want the oils...."

Also an honerable mention goes to The Divynals at the old Bombay Rock at Surfers, she was soooooooo off her nut and it was the most amazing concert.

2nd favourite was Thorpie at the Melbourne Music and Blues Festival about 4 years back. He came on to finish the night after, Ray Charles, Bonnie Rait and Tony Joe White and showed them a clean pair of heels. World class was our Thorpie:-

But my all time fav was The Boss up in Brizzy in `84 (i think) 3 non stop hours of awesome music (before he went all love dovey) and the big man Clarence Clemons was just sensational, and it was memorable because for the first time in QLD history the cops just stood by and watched everyone havin a choof:wink:

Grunt
25th August 2007, 12:09 PM
Ah memories of growing up in Perth.

My brothers best friend was the sax player for Nansing Quartet. I must have seen Nansing and the Tarts a 50 times.

Many a beer passed thru these lips watching Matt Taylor and Chain. Oz Blues. :2tsup:

Lignum
25th August 2007, 12:14 PM
My brothers best friend was the sax player for Nansing Quartet. I must have seen Nansing and the Tarts a 50 times.

I seen them over a dozen. They used to have the Sunday gig at the Seaview.

And a memorable spot, the Stoned Crow and a gut full of Kyrup Syrup:oo::cool:

Andy Mac
25th August 2007, 12:42 PM
Some good reading here, I'm enjoying this!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan when he played at the Horden Pavillion in Sydney. His support band was Jimmy Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, and at the end of their set, Jimmy was left alone on stage playing the bottom neck of this double necked guitar, with a spotlight on him. After a few minutes of blazing guitar work this pair of hands lent over his shoulders and absolutely blew us all away - I nearly wet my pants!!!!! I still have the ticket!!

That would have been awesome, love the Fabulous Thunderbirds, and SRV of course. Imagine seeing those two growing up together, trying to outdo one another!:oo::D

the Oils down near the Tallebudgerra (was it the playroom:?) i think it was `82 and Peter Garret was like a giant kettle, steam was just pissing of him so great the energy he was giving it. Shame they went all crap and political.

Yep, that was the place!

Thorpie at the Melbourne Music and Blues Festival about 4 years back. He came on to finish the night after, Ray Charles, Bonnie Rait and Tony Joe White and showed them a clean pair of heels. World class was our Thorpie:-

What a concert that must have been, some real talent there! Did any of them get on stage together?

Cheers,

Grunt
25th August 2007, 06:05 PM
I seen them over a dozen. They used to have the Sunday gig at the Seaview.

And a memorable spot, the Stoned Crow and a gut full of Kyrup Syrup:oo::cool:

I must have been there on at least one of those times. Do you remember me?

Ah the Stoned Crow. Another place that I have faded memories of.

derekcohen
26th August 2007, 02:12 AM
Worse concert I went to was Van Morrison in '84. He didn't want to be there.

Chris, was that is Sydney? I saw VM at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and abslutely loved it! He had earlier released a CD of a live concert (in Belfast) and most of the versions were replayed at the show. I still listen to it very frequently.

The WORST concert of all time was in '87 (I think), again at the Sydney ET, where Mick Jagger (minus the Stones) strutted his stuff. The bloody sound engineer kept turning up the sound until the building was vibrating. It was SO LOUD that it was impossible to determine what the music was. It just kept getting louder and louder, and so we left (about 30 minutes into the concert).

Two absolutely GREAT concerts stand out for me. Both within weeks of each other. About '92? This time we are living in Perth. The first was Crosby Stills Nash and Young. At the time Cosby was recovering from yet another drug rehab, and the rest of the guys were looking after him on the stage. But they were firing on all cylinders. We were sitting in the 3rd row.

The concert that ranks top was Stefan Grappelli. From the second row I heard and watched and was enthralled. I had seen/heard him at a concert about 15 years before that one, but now at the age of about 90 he had definitely got his sh*t together. :U

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wild Dingo
26th August 2007, 02:48 AM
Geeez Andy we were probably bloody mates!! :o The good ol surfy days aaah yes indeed :2tsup: ...twere a problem child back then by gawd!! :U
Weekend runs down to Yallingup with Chris and Tony and the girls plenty of good and I DO MEAN GOOD hootch some of the finest times back then all fun all good no rough crap just good times good music good people... wonder what happened to them all :C

ooh right we got old :q

Heading over to Kirup in the next couple of weeks... will see if I can pick up a couple of wee drams of the good syrup for yer... mind you I will have to drink it since your so far away :;

Cheers
Shane

namtrak
26th August 2007, 08:53 AM
.......The concert that ranks top was Stefan Grappelli. From the second row I heard and watched and was enthralled.........

Now that would be a great concert to see.

Grunt
26th August 2007, 08:33 PM
Chris, was that is Sydney?

No, it was at the Perth Entertainment Centre. VM wanted to cancel the concert but was threatened with legal action so he played. I wish he hadn't. He spent half the concert with his back to the audience.

silentC
27th August 2007, 10:23 AM
I've played there! Only they had changed the name to The Tom Tom Club. Did three or four gigs there on a Tuesday night.

The only show I ever went to there was The Black Sorrows. Can't remember much about it.

Sebastiaan56
29th August 2007, 04:58 PM
Has to be Talking Heads, State Theatre, forgotten the year, the band just rocked the joint, no dancing due top the venue and the band stayed rooted in their spots. The most exciting stage event was when Tina Weymoth took a 3 metre walk in "Once in a Lifetime". Unforgettable.

The other was the first performance by Dimitri Sigouros in the Opera House, 1982 I think. 17yo genius played Bach, Liszt and Chopin. Encored with Impressions of the opera by Paganini that he had transcribed. Unbelievable talent.

Got to mention Loeke Stardust Quartet, Frans Brueggen soloing on an original Stansby Jnr treble, magnificent,

Osibisa, 3 hrs non stop drumming, couldnt sleep that night!

Sebastiaan

namtrak
29th August 2007, 05:25 PM
I've played there! Only they had changed the name to The Tom Tom Club. Did three or four gigs there on a Tuesday night.

Wow, we have a certified superstar in our midst - how cool!!

...... was The Black Sorrows. Can't remember much about it........

And why would that be? :rolleyes:

silentC
29th August 2007, 05:31 PM
we have a certified superstar in our midst
Yeah, and all 15 of the people who came to see us loved it! Surprised one of them hasn't come along and posted it here as their favourite concert :)

namtrak
29th August 2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, and all 15 of the people who came to see us loved it! Surprised one of them hasn't come along and posted it here as their favourite concert :)

Refer to new thread..... (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=576874#post576874)

Ruddigar
30th August 2007, 11:34 AM
My favourite live band of all time (so far) would have to be Midnight Oil.

I've seen them in large venues, small venues, accoustic performances, festivals, etc.

But the stand-out for me was the night before the Wave Aid benefit concert. Garrett had already left the band to persue his political ambitions, but agreed to come back and play for Wave Aid (fund raiser for Tsunami victims). With no official announcement other than a small advertisment on the Manly Leagues Club website, they held a warm-up gig the night before, back on the Northern Beaches, where it all began.

I don't know if it was because everyone knew that this would be the final hurrah for the Oils or what it was, but the atmosphere was brilliant. The crowd was going off and the Oils reciprocated. I found myself in the second row and came home with one of Rob Hirst's drum sticks. A highly treasured souveneir.

I give this performance ten thumbs up!
:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

Edit: Just remembered I had a picture from the concert. See attached.

Chris Parks
31st August 2007, 04:13 PM
Worst pub gig was at Jindabine Hotel

Memories. I was in that joint one night and a monster blue started. Not wanting to be involved, I hid behind the jukebox and continued drinking until they all fell over.

Gingermick
4th September 2007, 04:17 PM
Midnight oil at the James cook uni refectory. I have seen them in a few much larger venues but that concert at the uni was unreal. They did quite a lot from the blue album and headinjuries and 10..1 and. It really rocked.

wheelinround
4th September 2007, 04:30 PM
Memories. I was in that joint one night and a monster blue started. Not wanting to be involved, I hid behind the jukebox and continued drinking until they all fell over.

Just saw this

Was in there one night and flamin through the side doors rides a bloke on his horse up to the bar where both downed a ber and off they went.:o:o:o

Thought it was one off but regular as clock work everynight.

johnf888
15th September 2007, 03:20 AM
OK, I can't let this one go by...
Saturday 8th September 2007 will live long in my memory - it was the night Steely Dan gave their first performance in Australia - heck it only took them about 35 years to get here. The concert was open-air in a winery setting - very nice, but very, very cold and with a faint wisp of sewage every now and them. Apart from that, it was without exception the best music concert I've been to. They were supported by a ten-piece band of very fine musicians. The rhythm section were tight-as and the horns were just magical. Backing vocals were tasty. Arrangements were true to the originally released versions from their 70's albums. And the songs - well if you know Steely Dan, then I don't need to comment. Their songs are meticulously crafted and arranged and capped by their witty and often intelligently sarcastic lyrics. The concert was just oozing great musicianship. It was an all-round generous offering - good value for money. In true SD fashion, they did not play their most commercially successful tracks (Rikki don't lose that number; Reelin' in the years) The post-concert reviews were lavish in praise of the performance. Those in the business know where it's at - and they know it doesn't get much better than this.

goodwoody
20th September 2007, 12:37 AM
We saw rage against the Machine in L.A. in the late 1990's. That was very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB King at Festival hall in Brissy
Recently I saw 'Wolfmother' in a live house (aka squash court) in Shibuya, Tokyo. Truely amazing!!!!! About 2 meters from the band. Yipyah!!!!!!!!
Damien.

Geoff Dean
20th September 2007, 07:49 PM
ACDC 3 times: Wang town hall '76, Myer Music Bowl '80 & Rod Laver Arena about 5 years ago
Neil Diamond, RLA about 6 years ago
Fleetwood Mac, RLA about 4 years ago
Dire Straits, same concert as Grunt (don't remember seeing him:D) if it was at RLA about 12-15 years ago
Midnight Oil, at Yarrawonga mid 80's
Icehouse, at yarrawonga late 80's

but the best would have been Long way to the top in the big tent in Wodonga.

Lineup of Australia's best bands and artists, the concert really rocked.:2tsup::2tsup:

Bleedin Thumb
20th September 2007, 11:47 PM
Midnight oil at the James cook uni refectory. I have seen them in a few much larger venues but that concert at the uni was unreal. They did quite a lot from the blue album and headinjuries and 10..1 and. It really rocked.

Hey Gingermick I went to James Cook but looking at your age I was long gone. Lived at Uni hall for a while till I got digs at Palleranda.

Late 70's Sex, Drugs Rock n Roll! not much Uni.:)

Justin
21st September 2007, 10:43 PM
Best Gigs :

- Red Hot Chili Peppers in Melbourne, the first time they came to Australia. The second time they came, you could hardly hear them over the sound of sub-teenage girls screaming
- Live. Scored some great tickets from a connected friend (second row from the stage)
- Crystal Method, in the tent at the big day out. Hot as hell, right on the edge of the stage, everyone pi$$ing sweat but GOING OFF.
- Honourable mention goes to 28 Days when they played at the Metal Mulisha freestyle motocross show. They were playing off the back of truck, parked parallel to a ramp, with guys doing jumps off the ramp and straight over their heads. Highlight of the night !

Worst Gig :

Without a doubt, Motley Crue. Started to die from the second song they played and it just got worse.

crankie72
22nd September 2007, 11:33 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan Festival Hall 1985 was crap I walked out after about 4 guitar changes his future was inevitable. Buddy Guy 89 Greek Theatre was the greatest show of all Still wondering what roadies were doing back stage??? Nearly as good as Thorpie 72 Myer Music Bowl

Crankie 72

namtrak
11th October 2007, 04:39 PM
Saw the Waifs on Monday night - uber cool. We are thinking of heading down to Moruya to see them in few days as well.

silentC
11th October 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry but we don't allow your type over here...

namtrak
11th October 2007, 09:13 PM
May have to sneak in then

Bleedin Thumb
12th October 2007, 03:43 PM
Silent is your band the support act?:p

Go on put Namtrak on the list at the front door.....back stage pass and all, show him a big Moruyian welcome..........:D

silentC
12th October 2007, 03:51 PM
Harrumph!

They are supporting us!

Actually I can't help much with backstage passes at Moruya. Might be able to get you into the front bar at the Royal Willows in Pambula though :wink:

Bleedin Thumb
12th October 2007, 04:52 PM
I guess Namtrak will have to make do with the ubiquitous black roadies tee shirt complete with tour dates.:p

boatchippy
16th October 2007, 01:00 AM
Seen so many good live bands over the years.
Favourite venues were Hordern pavilion in Sydney and Dee Why hotel.

One memorable concert was Def Leppard, I was a huge fan of da Leps and a mate won tickets to see them. So I went for $0.00. Worth the ticket price then alone going for free.

Last bands I saw were the Angels in June followed by Alice Cooper.

Can't wait to see Iron Maiden in Feb 08 \m/:cool:\m/.

Hope Manowar get their @rses into gear and tour downunder too.
\m/:((\m/

clubbyr8
27th October 2007, 09:52 AM
Deep Purple 1999 Sydney Ent Cent
Deep Purple 2001 Sydney Ent Cent
Deep Purple 1972? Randwick
Deep Purple 1984? forgot where that was
Deep Purple 2006 Sydney Ent Cent
Eurythmics Sydney Ent Cent
Simply Red Sydney Ent Cent
Led Zepplin 1972 Sydney Show Ground
Supertramp Horden Pavilion

Bob

JaD
2nd November 2007, 10:05 PM
Late 70's...Stage Door Tavern, Sydney(I think:p left p'matta in a "smoking":wink: Kombi..and next thing I was at the Stage Door..the engine was OK..The inside was the smokey bit...Thanks Kenny) and sat IN the speakers...The Angels, Rose Tattoo, AC/DC I think.... others I can't remember.... Why can't I remember, Doctor...

The Best was...
THE WHO at the Sydney Ent Cent couple of years back... Waited a long time for that......Went with my 17 yr old son...saw a grandfather with his grandson when we left, they were walkin hand in hand and the young fella was asking a hundred questions and his excitement just couldn't be missed:)......Another convert

David Bowie at the old Sydney Showground:2tsup: I think just before the yuppies stopped the speedway and outdoor concerts:((

NEIL YOUNG......Syd Ent Cent...don't know when.....BUT was Excellent..Bruce Springsteen came out at the end for a bit of a "jam"...

ALICE COOPER.....Somewhere way back then...Welcome to my Nightmare:2tsup: Why can't I remember, Doctor??... And again about 7 yrs ago, maybe, at Sydney Superdome......Stuck amongst a lot of oldies who didn't get up and sing or anything....Probably from Paddington...

PAT DRUMMOND is great value........ Aust songwriter and singer/storyteller.....I think Harry Chapin copied Pats style:wink:
Anybody used to see him at the Wrest (?Rest) Hotel, Nth Sydney?????? I didn't but after hearing all the stories, I feel like I did....Maybe I did and can't remember!!!

So many grat memories.......Ohh Cold Chisel at the BAthurst Bike races..:D:2tsup:... Uh not sure ...can't remember...O YES I CAN.....'Pharkin Classic"

One question......How did we make it this far???:rolleyes: Lucky we've got all the do-gooders lokkin after us now....We might not get the rest of the way thru LIFE

The Worst was
Beach boys at the old Sports ground....THEY WERE SHYTE.......

patty
3rd November 2007, 09:21 AM
Acdc absolutley brilliant live also saw Alice in Chains and Suicidal Tendencies together that was crazy! Rage against the Machine at the Big Day out and Pennywise,Metallica,the Offspring,Henry Rollins,the chilli peppers all great live acts!
The Angels also use to put on a great show but without Doc Neeson now even though I havent seen them it just can't be the same...

Poppa
9th November 2007, 08:59 PM
I've been lucky to see quite a few bands and live shows. A few of the standouts have been:

Green Day in Sydney 2006 (maybe 2005? - doesn't seem that long ago!)

Finn Brothers at the Opera House 2006?

Tracy Chapman (with Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls in support) at the Ent Centre a while ago

Saltimbanco (Cirque Du Soliel show - live music, live acts, best single show I've ever seen)

Eurythmics in the 80's in Wellington

Dire Straits in Wellington in 1985?

David Bowie in Wellington in 1986?

Billy Joel (with John Farnham as back up) in 1984?

Elton John 3 times in Wellington in the 80's.

Phil Collins at the Ent Centre in the 90's

The Angels (as No Names, including Doc) at the Crows Nest Hotel in 1990-odd.

Simon and Garfunkel in Wellington in the 80's (afternoon/evening concert - fantastic)

George Benson in Wellington in the 80's (afternoon concert)

And a few more that I can't remember!

macaroni
11th November 2007, 08:07 PM
The Black Crusade 10 days ago.

Arch Enemy, Trivium and Machine Head!

Machine Head was just absolutely phenomenal.

Got front row and phil's pick:D

Cant wait til machine head comes back again

Harry R
4th January 2008, 12:55 PM
From what little I remember the Birthday Party playing at the NSW Uni Roundhouse on Black Friday 1983 - fawesome atmosphere...very moshy pit...just perfect.

Other awesome concerts: AC/DC 1981 at Sydney showground (supported by the Angels!) and any Oils or Angels gig in the first half of the eighties. A band I played with in the late 80s rehearsed at the same studio as the Angels (Now Studios in Rushcutters Bay). They had the Sunday pm shift while we were stuck with the Sunday am shift (which was hell after Sat nights). But we got to meet one of the most awesome Aussie bands, including one especially memorable Sunday when Doc Neeson and Rick Brewster gatecrashed our Studio and joined us on our rendition of Shadow Boxer:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: (we played mostly originals but did a few covers).

The best gig I've been to in the last 10 yrs or so has to be Radiohead in 1998. My mate's cousin was their tour manager so we got free tickets and backstage passes. Even he said they were amazing that night. Saw them again last time (2004) and although it was awesome, not quite as amazing as 1998.

The worst: U2 Joshua Tree Tour in 1992. Never been a fan but all my mates were going so thought what the hell. Paid a fortune to see a bunch of jumped up w##kers strutting around the stage like they were God's gift. And the sound :oo: all mid-range, no definition, absolutely horrendous for the first 2/3 of the show until someone sorted out the sound(?)man.

meansy_wood
9th January 2008, 11:40 AM
well i cooked backstage at groovin the moo in 2006 i think..so that was all good.. at the start of last year i went and saw the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and that was AMAZING. and then last night i went and saw the spicks and specktacular at newcastle civic and that was great... then in FEB im goin to the sydney Soundwave festival.. which im lookin forward to.

but to the point yer the best concert was def the chili peppers.. absolutely amazing band

Koala-Man
9th January 2008, 03:00 PM
Led Zepplin 1972 Sydney Show Ground
Bob

I was there too! What a concert!

Three full hours not counting the 20 minute drum solo. Led Zeppelin at their absolute peak.

The Led Zep DVD "How the West Was Won" shows them playing "Rock and Roll" at that very concert. It also shows the vision from "Immigrant Song" from the same concert although they dubbed sound from another concert onto it.

The DVD also shows some footage of a reception or party after the concert. It includes a scene where none other than Germaine Greer just about drools over Robert Plant. Hilarious.

Gaz.

Koala-Man
9th January 2008, 03:07 PM
..and how could I forget The Saints, playing "Stranded" upstairs at some dive overlooking Taylor Square in Sydney - just a room with a trestle table with some cans of beer on it.

It's probably a gay bar now. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It was late 1976 from memory (not that memory and the 1970s really belong in the same sentence).

Top gig.

Gaz.

HappyHammer
9th January 2008, 03:11 PM
A toss up between:

the final ever Queen concert at Wembley Stadium, 70,000 people in the crowd, Freddie Mercury was awesome, backed up by Status Quo and The Clash.

and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts at a small 600 person venue in San Jose.

If I had to choose it would be Queen at Wembley.:U

HH.

Koala-Man
9th January 2008, 03:11 PM
aah yes, and how about the Skyhooks playing on a barge in the Murray River at the Peaches and Cream Festival in Cobram in 1974?

And then there's the Rockarena concert in Sydney (the Showground I think): Fleetwood Mac, Santana and the Little River Band one after the other. Mid-late 70s, probably 1977.

Koala-Man
9th January 2008, 03:15 PM
SWMBO saw both AC/DC and INXS (in their former incarnation as the Farriss Brothers) at school dances years ago.

astrid
15th January 2008, 02:48 PM
Talking Heads and the TomTom club.
Melbourne, cant remember the year. old entertainment centre
Springsteen at showground.
Astrid

HappyHammer
16th January 2008, 08:56 AM
Almost forgot also went to see Pink Floyd at the Oakland Colosseum. Not really into Pink Floyd but it was an awesome show. Queen still top of the list.

HH.

Ivan in Oz
16th January 2008, 09:04 AM
> Dire Straits were all right and the Pink Floyd tour was a great show
Yep!

The other one was Deep Purple of Led Zeplin.....can't remember,
to much Smoke from the 'Fires' apparently

Nah...........

Tina Turner, Simply the Best

Festival Hall,
Brisvagas

Frankmc
16th April 2008, 07:22 PM
For me Rory Gallagher at the palais theatre around 1980...

Frank

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th April 2008, 09:04 PM
Johnny Farnham, singing Sadie & Raindrops at the Sidney-Myer Music Bowl? :innocent:

The best? :think: Hmmm... Georgie Thorogood? That had to be good as I don't remember sweet FA about it. :roll: But of the ones I do remember I'd have to pick Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, also at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. Now, that was a great show. :2tsup:

Socrates
24th April 2008, 02:31 PM
How good are you guys, I reckon I was at most of the concerts mentioned in Sydney, Yes Van the Man was crap, Yes Jethro Tull was unreal, Neil young couldn't put a foot wrong with me etc etc etc. BUT, Yes George Thorogood and the Destroyers (last time at Selinas) was my favourite. and I CAN remember.

Sebastiaan56
26th April 2008, 07:31 AM
Santana, ACER Arena, March 08

Gingermick
26th April 2008, 08:47 AM
Oils at the James cook uni club in '91.

corbs
26th April 2008, 09:43 AM
Mine was the 2003 Big Day Out festival in Perth. The line up was awesome and I got to see a truckload of bands, none of whom were a let down:2tsup:. I saw bands like the Waifs, The Music, The Living End, The Hard Ons, Chicks on Speed, Janes Addiction and The Foo Fighters. Going from Jane Says into the Foo Fighters set was awesome and another highlight for me was Chicks on Speed doing "We don't play guitars" with the Hard On's whilst playing blow up guitars. There were a lot more bands in the line up but they were my standouts (and it was a few years ago).

Corbs

TomH
26th April 2008, 10:38 AM
Tough one this.

The Cure - Bloodflowers tour, ent centre (rubbish venue)
Smashing Pumpkins - hordern pavillion
Adorable - Phonecian club
You Am I - anywhere
Live - Metro theatre
Muse - Birmingham Academy

There are so many...

Metal Head
27th April 2008, 09:57 PM
Here in Melbourne it was the Foo Fighters
Milton Keynes - Bruce Springsteen
Barcelona - Simple Minds
Cardiff - U2
London (Old Wembley Stadium) - Queen
Paris - Roxy Music
London - Dire Straits

Etc Etc Etc

Pop concerts have cost me a small fortune over the years but there is nothing like being there and soaking up the atmosphere. You only live once because you are along time dead:o:U.

artme
30th April 2008, 06:35 PM
Tony Bennet and K.D. Lang in Bribane.
Gilberto Gil in Campos, Brasil.

Wild Dingo
21st May 2008, 01:40 AM
"Dr Hook and the medicine show" way back in the 70s at the Perth Entertainment centre... ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SHOW EVER!! a whole bunch of fun laughter and good music made you come away feeling GREAT well worth the $20 entry fee :2tsup:

Joe Cocker... again way back in the 70s with Leon Russell in top hat... fanfriggintastic show :2tsup:

Fleetwood Mac... the ONLY concert Ive been to in 25 years and worth the money by gawd! Stevie Nicks ROCKS!!

Wouldnt say the best but other good ones were Status Quo... ACDC before they got big at Steves in Nedlands and the White Sands in Scarborough with Bon at his absolute best... and Suzie Quatro... just cause she was HOT!! Ive always had a real thing for tiny blondes :; and Kevin Bloody Wilson what a flamin hoot he is!! :2tsup:

Worst... Beach boys bloody pathetic waste of friggin money... Devo how in hades I got roped into that one is still beyond me... Elton John way back when he was UNKNOWN here he actually got booed of the stage at the WACA a lousy 10 minute concert and he walks of stage! WAKKER!

And Ive missed the Stones every time theyve come down here :C

Mind you most musos and bands miss WA cause theyre sookylalas and think its just too far to come... wakkers! :q

Cheers
Shane

abitfishy
21st May 2008, 10:22 AM
I've only ever wanted and have been to only one concert and that was KISS at the Reunion tour. Old classics, fireworks on stage, the lot. If I'd been hit by a truck leaving the centre, I'd have died happy. Just FANTASTIC. :2tsup:

silentC
21st May 2008, 10:24 AM
Was that the one where Ace and Paul got stuck out over the crowd on the cherry picker? That was a hoot!

TommyC
21st May 2008, 12:55 PM
Stray Cats - Palace St Kilda
Ramones - Palace St Kilda
Cruel Sea - The Tote Collingwood (yes!)
Stones - Rod Laver, not MCG
Steve Earle - Price of Wales St Kilda
Dave Hole - Central Club Richmond
Beasts of Bourbon - anywhere
Jeff Buckley - Palais St Kilda
Nirvana - Hordern Pavilian Sydney
Nick Cave - BDO Melbs (with the sun setting behind him - spooky)

This could go on all day!

Wild Dingo
25th May 2008, 03:50 AM
FINALLY!!!

You know all these years Ive been muckin with this internet thing theres been a bunch of times this has come up on different forums... and you know thats the FIRST time Ive ever seen anyone put Dave Hole up as one of the best concerts!

Years ago when I was a mad young fella I worked as a roadie for Dave... throughout West Aussie until he got it in his head from Paul Manning to head east... I pulled out in Albany after 2 years with him... brilliant bloke top muso and did a great gig!!

Could have made it absolutely HUGE in the States or Europe but chose to stay home in Aussie.

Another that should have gone on to better things was Matt Taylor... didnt seem to do very much after Chain disbanded now lives down in Nannup and does the occasional gig... but brother when he played the White Sands it went OFF!!! Never roadied for him just went to every gig he played after I left Dave

Good to see someone else appreciates Daves talent :2tsup:

TommyC
3rd June 2008, 02:44 PM
When I saw him with 2 mates, it must have been about 14 years ago (at least), and what impressed us (in addition to his blistering slide chops) was the way he enjoyed playing for the crowd. He looked like he would not want to be doing anything other than jumping about on that little stage and blowing us all away! went to say hi afterwards - what a top bloke!

petersemple
3rd June 2008, 03:07 PM
Icehouse - Expo 88
Crowded House - Beenleigh Tavern Early 90-'s sometime - standing above the stage
Whiteheart - Brisbane - several different times

Peter

kmthor
3rd June 2008, 05:49 PM
i saw quiat a few concerts when i was younger the followin would sand out

1982 black sabbeth - london - hammersmith odean
rush - wembley
alice cooper - wembley x2
kiss - wembley
motorhead - all over the place
Ozzy osbourn - wembley b4 Randy Rhoads died
Pat benatar - hammersmith odean
AC/DC - all over the place

i used to love going to concerts :2tsup:

km

AL1
20th November 2008, 01:41 PM
Midnight Oil in the 80's. Their 'Red Sails In The Sunset' tour in Melbourne.
And a local pub band 'No Nonsense' ( ska music like the band Madness(pommie band)). They actually put out a couple of records at the time.
That was it I'm afraid. Must've led a sheltered life.
Still jealous of those of you you saw Stevie Ray Vaughan.
What were his concerts like ?

AL

WillBrook
12th December 2008, 02:35 PM
Saw him supported by The Thunderbirds in Adelaide...'86 I think. Six rows from the front, right in the middle. Could chucked a rock and hit him in the head, we were that close. He was LOUD LOUD LOUD. Changed my life. Got me into the blues and then into playing blues guitar.

Saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd at Byron '98 I think. A great exponent of LOUD Blues.

Some other notables - Myer Music Bowl - ELO, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC (Back in Black tour).
Palace, St Kilda - Albert Collins, George Thorogood. Pier Hotel, Frankston - Rose Tattoo, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, etc

WillBrook
12th December 2008, 02:37 PM
FINALLY!!!

You know all these years Ive been muckin with this internet thing theres been a bunch of times this has come up on different forums... and you know thats the FIRST time Ive ever seen anyone put Dave Hole up as one of the best concerts!

Years ago when I was a mad young fella I worked as a roadie for Dave... throughout West Aussie until he got it in his head from Paul Manning to head east... I pulled out in Albany after 2 years with him... brilliant bloke top muso and did a great gig!!

Could have made it absolutely HUGE in the States or Europe but chose to stay home in Aussie.

Another that should have gone on to better things was Matt Taylor... didnt seem to do very much after Chain disbanded now lives down in Nannup and does the occasional gig... but brother when he played the White Sands it went OFF!!! Never roadied for him just went to every gig he played after I left Dave

Good to see someone else appreciates Daves talent :2tsup:

Just for info's sake.......

Dave Hole was the first non-American to be signed to one of the largest blues label in the world, Alligator Records.

Recommended listening - The Live One

Grumpy John
12th December 2008, 05:48 PM
OK, here we go most memorable concerts, not counting local bands at pubs like Matthew Flinders, South Side 6 and Village Green between '70 and '75.

In no particular order,
Jethto Tull 2x - Festival Hall (Melb)
Slade - Sydney Showgrounds
Led Zepellin - Kooyong
Plant & Page Rod Laver
Eric Clapton 2x - Rod Laver
Steve Vai 2x - Palace St.Kilda
Eric Johnson - Palace St.Kilda
Buddy Guy - Palais St.Kilda
Jeff Lang +8x all over Melbourne
Kenny Wayne Shepherd once in Memphis 2x Palace St.Kilda
Rolling Stones Kooyong, MCG, Rod Laver
Pink Floyd early seventies Festival Hall (Melb)
Cyndi Lauper - Arts Centre (Melb.) Originally went along to keep SWMBO happy, was actually blown away by her performance.
Queen - Festival Hall (Melb)
George Thorogood 2x - Palace St.Kilda
Link Wray - San Juan California 1999 (google him)
Deep Purple - Festival Hall (Melb)
Free - Festival Hall (Melb)
Paul Rogers - Hallam Pub
Jimmy Vaughan & the Fabulous Thunderbirds FTG hotel

AL1
15th December 2008, 08:33 AM
Didn't know Buddy Guy Toured here. What was he like ?
If George Thorogood ever comes back I'll catch him if he comes to Geelong.
Actually sat and watch a couple of Led Zep DVDs on the weekend. Love their music.

Jethro Tull any good ?

AL

Grumpy John
15th December 2008, 07:24 PM
Didn't know Buddy Guy Toured here. What was he like ?
If George Thorogood ever comes back I'll catch him if he comes to Geelong.
Actually sat and watch a couple of Led Zep DVDs on the weekend. Love their music.

Jethro Tull any good ?

AL

Saw Buddy the first time in 2000/2001, he was OK but not brilliant. The second time, in March this year he toured with Keb Mo and the concert was bloody fantastic.

The Tull, bloody brilliant. I don't know if any of their early concerts were filmed, but if they were and you get a chance to watch them don't miss it.

A shot of Buddy doing his trademark walk through the audience. Sorry about the quality, low light, mobile phone.

Gingermick
15th December 2008, 09:21 PM
Oils at the James cook uni club in '91.

Hey I was there too, oh hang on, that was me

AL1
16th December 2008, 08:28 AM
Saw Buddy the first time in 2000/2001, he was OK but not brilliant. The second time, in March this year he toured with Keb Mo and the concert was bloody fantastic.

The Tull, bloody brilliant. I don't know if any of their early concerts were filmed, but if they were and you get a chance to watch them don't miss it.

A shot of Buddy doing his trademark walk through the audience. Sorry about the quality, low light, mobile phone.

Keb Mo ...???!!!
You're killing me here... I'm just not getting out enough !! There's another one I've listened to but never knew toured. What were you doing in the states to see those other concerts ?

AL