PDA

View Full Version : August Pen Swap Pictures

karlkuehn
25th August 2007, 10:36 AM
HAH! Gotcha!

You know you're not supposed to peek, and yet here you are, slumming on my misleading thread!

You don't get to see my foray into brindle madness yet, you'll just have to wait, smarty-pants!

(Sorry, after the week I had, I really needed to do something childish and inappropriate...man, I gotta tell you, it was fun, too! :U)

lubbing5cherubs
25th August 2007, 10:38 PM
:worthless: :worthless: Well Karl where is your picture???? what your brindle pen look like?
Toni:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2007, 11:37 PM
Mine's looking very sad indeed. :- I'm not a great fan of painting/staining or otherwise embellishing wood but in this case... one paint job coming up!

At least we'll have a ready made thread to post pix in.... :D

karlkuehn
25th August 2007, 11:49 PM
Well Karl where is your picture???? what your brindle pen look like?
Toni:D

hehehe

Gonna have to wait, I don't want to give away my trade secrets until the end!

Don't worry Skew, I'm right there with you. Good point on the ready-made post! That was my whole goal, to be helpful, you know? Muhahhaha

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 05:21 AM
Brindle lads, Brindle for all you're worth, or we be goners. :o Brindle I say, Brindle!!! Brindle!!!!

(meanwhile, Matthew contentedly sits at his bench turning out perfectly round flat slimlines without a hint of brindle on them, muhahaha myself he says, my, but aren't the other chaps having fun, muhahaha.)

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 06:13 AM
Brindle lads, Brindle for all you're worth, or we be goners. :o Brindle I say, Brindle!!! Brindle!!!!

I'M GIVIN' 'ER ALL SHE'S GOT, CAP'N! THE BRINDLE DRIVE IS AT - *shake-rumble, stumbles and catches hold of his lathe bed* - MAXIMUM REVOLUTIONS!! SHE CANNA' TAKE MUCH MORE OR SHE'LL COME APART AT TH' SEAMS! WE'RE ADDING ALL THE LIQUID CYANOACRYLATE WE CAN, BUT I JUST DON' KNOW HOW WE'LL MAKE IT AT THIS VELOCITY!! *shake shake, rumble...smoke and steam rising*

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 10:22 AM
I'M GIVIN' 'ER ALL SHE'S GOT, CAP'N! THE BRINDLE DRIVE IS AT - *shake-rumble, stumbles and catches hold of his lathe bed* - MAXIMUM REVOLUTIONS!! SHE CANNA' TAKE MUCH MORE OR SHE'LL COME APART AT TH' SEAMS! WE'RE ADDING ALL THE LIQUID CYANOACRYLATE WE CAN, BUT I JUST DON' KNOW HOW WE'LL MAKE IT AT THIS RATE!! *shake shake, rumble...smoke and steam rising*

Quick lad, you've no choice now, the only way you're going to make it is iffin you give yourself a coating of cyanoacrylate and stick yourself to the lathe!! Hold'er steady into the brindles until they occur at approximatly a 1:1 ratio. At this point you should be able to shut'er down. At this point you should also be able to unstick yourself. Should be able to, if the cyanoacrylate has hybridized properly into brindles, you should just fall free from the lathe, you'll be brindle, but you'll be free. :C :q :U

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 10:50 AM
Dammit, Jim! I'm a pencrafter, not a miracle worker! None of our tools are capable of reading alien brindle life-signs, and I could easily destroy the pen if I start experimenting at this stage!

(man, I hope they have Star Trek in Australia, or I'm going to sound like an idiot. Yeah...like these posts would have anything to do with people thinking I'm an idiot. heh I know, too late!)

So when can we start posting pictures? I've got one pen done, and the other is close. I'm almost brindle-free! Woot. :U

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 11:09 AM
So when can we start posting pictures? I've got one pen done, and the other is close. I'm almost brindle-free! Woot. :U

Wait, did you only get two blanks or did you brindle one to death? Fess up Karl...:;...you did didn't you? :o

Ok. I'll go first, here is my first attempt.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/max010.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/max010.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Things were a little bit tight at this point.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/max008.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/max008.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/max011.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 11:33 AM
OMG...I almost shot wine out of my nose when I saw the picture of the square blanks with the kit set up on them. The plastic bag pen stand is a nice touch. You're a marketing genius!

Hey, Matt, my trusty buddy fellow yank team-mate...listen, since we're the representatives of the good ole US, I think I should give you one of my little secrets: I typically like to drill in the center of the blank. :U Man, I can't tell you how familiar that blank looks! You still got enough for a good slim, though!

I did get three blanks, but I'm pretty sure we make two pens?...? Right? PLEASE BE RIGHT, OR I'M GONNA SCREAM! *ponders the brindle colored sawdust and how much casting resin he has left...*

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 12:46 PM
OMG...I almost shot wine out of my nose when I saw the picture of the square blanks with the kit set up on them. The plastic bag pen stand is a nice touch. You're a marketing genius!

Hey, Matt, my trusty buddy fellow yank team-mate...listen, since we're the representatives of the good ole US, I think I should give you one of my little secrets: I typically like to drill in the center of the blank. :U Man, I can't tell you how familiar that blank looks! You still got enough for a good slim, though!

I did get three blanks, but I'm pretty sure we make two pens?...? Right? PLEASE BE RIGHT, OR I'M GONNA SCREAM! *ponders the brindle colored sawdust and how much casting resin he has left...*

I did drill straight, that was my problem, I was supposed to drill crooked. :q

You mean you didn't order the Class II hard blanks? They have one end that is thinner than the other. Pro's use them all the time, I thought I'd give them a try. :cool: Slimeline? :~ Ha, that blanks gonna be a cigar, a cigar I say. I like my cigars. The last one I had almost turned me off them though. Jose Melendes, usually the best cigars, ugly things but the best, I think this one got mixed up with some chili skins or something though, talk about a spicy cigar, it almost gave me indigestion. :C

I thought we were supposed to do a black, a white, and a brindle one? Thats three isn't it?

You mean you chopped up your three and made two? Neat approach, I thought about chopping them up and making a brindle pattern out of the different colors, but it was too much chopping and gluing, I can't saw two things straight to save my life anyway. :no: So I just took the easy way out and used super brindler.

Say this super brindler is some great stuff isn't it?

Touchwood
26th August 2007, 01:02 PM
(man, I hope they have Star Trek in Australia, or I'm going to sound like an idiot. Yeah...like these posts would have anything to do with people thinking I'm an idiot. heh I know, too late!)

We Aussies are not saying a word ... have you noticed?????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your original post did send me into the memory banks trying to recall the date ...aaarrgghhhh... it's nearly time!!! Mine are still sitting waiting for inspiration.... still waiting!

JD

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 01:21 PM
You mean you chopped up your three and made two? Neat approach, I thought about chopping them up and making a brindle pattern out of the different colors, but it was too much chopping and gluing, I can't saw two things straight to save my life anyway. :no: So I just took the easy way out and used super brindler.

Say this super brindler is some great stuff isn't it?

Yep! I cut the bejeezus outta all three of them. Sawing straight? I only drill straight. Sawing's a whole other thing. I was counting on those drifting blades to save my bacon!

Yeah, that super brindler is the ticket. Unfortunately I drank my last bottle an hour ago, so now I'm just winging it, as usual. Talk about indigestion! :q

We Aussies are not saying a word ... have you noticed?????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
JD

Psst, hey Matt, one of them woke up! Ix-nay on the osts-pay, they might steal our secret recipes.

Go team USA! Hoo Hoo Hoo! *fist pumping in the air*

We're not all like this, you guys. You just got lucky with me and Matt. :U

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 01:58 PM
Yep! I cut the bejeezus outta all three of them. Sawing straight? I only drill straight. Sawing's a whole other thing. I was counting on those drifting blades to save my bacon!

Yeah, that super brindler is the ticket. Unfortunately I drank my last bottle an hour ago, so now I'm just winging it, as usual. Talk about indigestion! :q

Psst, hey Matt, one of them woke up! Ix-nay on the osts-pay, they might steal our secret recipes.

Go team USA! Hoo Hoo Hoo! *fist pumping in the air*

We're not all like this, you guys. You just got lucky with me and Matt. :U

I think they know how lucky they are. :U

I'd better go finish up pen #2 then. Come tomorrow my "pen shop" is going to be converted to my "rebuild my transmission" shop. Had to show one two many of those pesky little ricers who was boss. :q :roll:

Good luck with the indigestion Karl. :C

Cheers lads, I'm off to strike down pen #2. Woohoo.

:U

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 02:55 PM
Wow, I think this camphor laurel is going to clear up my stuffy noise and this Huron pine smells good enough to eat. Sweet woods. :2tsup:

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 03:22 PM
Wow, I think this camphor laurel is going to clear up my stuffy noise and this Huron pine smells good enough to eat. Sweet woods. :2tsup:

yeah, I noticed the smell coming off of the huon, too. Thought it was lemony at first, but then it changed. Pretty neat stuff!

I think you're right, I think it's three pens, so I rooted through my vacuum, added a little from my scrap pile, used up a good bit of adhesive, and viola! I'm back in business for the third. It's gonna be a little weird, though. heh

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2007, 04:47 PM
Now that you've started on #3, we can let you in on a little secret: we only need two.

Mwahahahaha! :dev:

Matt88s
26th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Pen #2 done. Not very happy with it. I really don't like slimline kits, they never seal up right, joints are alway wobbly, kind of like the front seam on Wallstreet II's. :no:

Big kits like Cigars and whatnot, when you put'em together they usually seal up right proper, very little flex and whatnot in them.

Meh. ARg. Roar. Meow. :~ There. I feel better now.

All right lads, ready when you are.

Tornatus
26th August 2007, 07:41 PM
yeah, I noticed the smell coming off of the huon, too. Thought it was lemony at first, but then it changed. Pretty neat stuff!

Watch it, guys! The smell of Huon Pine oil is unique and attractive, but be sparing with your sniffs - just reflect on the fact that Huon Pine logs have been found lying on the forest floor in South-west Tasmania, still preserved, thousands of years after they fell, and they were already very, very old when they fell! Any substance that can preserve timber so well against organisms that specialize in decomposition has got to be of the highest order of toxicity, so common sense should tell you that it can't be good for us human organisms, either.

Mind you, the Tasmanians have been known to use Huon oil as a perfume, but you need to know that Tasmanians are our equivalent of the people who live in your backwoods "Deliverance" country (gdanga dang dang dang .....) :;

karlkuehn
26th August 2007, 11:06 PM
...but you need to know that Tasmanians are our equivalent of the people who live in your backwoods "Deliverance" country (gdanga dang dang dang .....) :;

Deliverance down under, huh? "SQUEAL, MATE! SQUEAL!"

Wow, we were trying to keep that whole movie on the quiet-like. hehe - nice work on the banjo gadangas, by the way.

"Hear that Matt? See how they tell us about the huon after we've already eaten it? I tell ya, there's somethin' funny goin' on around here...let's pull the canoe over to the side and wait for the others..."

Matt88s
27th August 2007, 12:47 AM
Deliverance down under, huh? "SQUEAL, MATE! SQUEAL!"

Wow, we were trying to keep that whole movie on the quiet-like. hehe - nice work on the banjo gadangas, by the way.

"Hear that Matt? See how they tell us about the huon after we've already eaten it? I tell ya, there's somethin' funny goin' on around here...let's pull the canoe over to the side and wait for the others..."

Excepting the squealing part that was a good movie.Due to the squealing part though for years afterwards I never went backwoods without a weapon. Who am I kidding, I still don't. If I crashed backwoods in a plane the first thing I'd do is jump out and make myself a bow and arrow and a big club. :C Maybe a spear too.

That said, we weren't supposed to eat the Huron? Oops. :roll: It did kind of get to me after a while. I started sneezing and coughing a bit. Snorting it may have been taking it too far though.

They don't eat Huron back country around here that I'm aware of, you're more likely to find them eating heron's. Should you find yourself in a heron eating place you may want to strike out for more friendly territory with less banjo music.

karlkuehn
27th August 2007, 09:02 AM
Oh Brindle-Schmindle. I got my three done.:flex:

What's taking you guys so long? That was a piece of cake!

*passes out*

Thud.

:sleep5:

Matt88s
27th August 2007, 11:09 AM
Hey, everybody, Karl's finally done!

Now after all this waiting we can post our pics. :2tsup:

:q

Matt88s
27th August 2007, 11:12 AM
Wait, have I been spelling Huron pine wrong all this time? Is it Huon or Huron? :doh: :B :no:

Where are you guys getting all your neat smilies from?

DJ’s Timber
27th August 2007, 11:25 AM
Wait, have I been spelling Huron pine wrong all this time? Is it Huon or Huron? :doh: :B :no:
Huon

Where are you guys getting all your neat smilies from?
Under the smilies in the reply box there is a [More (http://www.woodworkforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=575267#)] button, mind you there is a lot there and it takes a while to open

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2007, 04:09 PM
Ah, bother it. What difference is a day going to make?

Here's my "arts'n'crafts" interpretation :rolleyes: of brindle:

Used one of DJ's black slimline kits, replacing the centre-band with a section of ebony. Had turned a replacement ebony finial too, except I dropped it into the dust extractor as I removed it from the chuck. :B

I was going to do a matching pencil as the second pen, but after cutting/gluing all of the laminations I ended up with only enough for 1¾ pens. [sigh] I know, I know... I should've used a bandsaw blade with a thinner kerf.

Ah well... until I get a Sierra or similar kit which only takes a 3/4 size blank, that one's on hold. Considering I don't like most kits that use the 3/4 blanks and am in no rush to order one, well... I ain't a-gonna hold my breath on it ever happening. :p

Simomatra
31st August 2007, 05:29 PM
I see thinking along similar line I too only have enough for 1 and a bit so till I turn a Sierra this is it

Like your brindle lolly pop pen Skew

Simomatra
31st August 2007, 05:31 PM
I see thinking along similar line I too only have enough for 1 and a bit so till I turn a Sierra this is it

Like your brindle lolly pop pen Skew

With the pic's this time

Simomatra
31st August 2007, 05:32 PM
Come on Karl where are u man?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2007, 11:48 PM
Great idea with the patchwork - it shows each timber's grain & character nicely and let you do away with the centreband altogether. :thyel:

I lost the grain detail with mine, which is a shame, but being 45° cross-cut I gained the cat's-eye effect as the pen's turned around. I didn't even bother trying to catch it in the photo, having failed miserably before. It's one of those things that doesn't photo well... [sigh] but that's why the Huon seems to change colour down the length of the pen with seeming white highlights.

Come on Karl where are u man?

Still recovering from the turning, I think. :D

ss_11000
1st September 2007, 12:10 AM
nice work sam and skew:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
1st September 2007, 08:59 AM
mine will be done by the end of the weekend
bye Toni

karlkuehn
1st September 2007, 09:44 AM
Gah! I missed the start pistol! heh...checked the posts on the way out the door this morning, and I've been chomping at the bit all day long!

Nice work, guys! I see we ended up reaching the same conclusion. The wonderful idea that I posted about? Yeah, that consisted me thinking, "Here's an idea: I only got a few days left, so draw some lines that make me feel like I've got a plan, start hacking, glue it back together, and viola! Brindletown."

Incidentally there, Skew, old buddy...*points up, scowling*...about that whole '3 pens' thing you posted about...I'm waiting, pardner. You best get to diggin' in that dust collector! You have any idea what I went through after you posted that to come up with pen #3?! Bad enough with my 'stellar' blank conservation skills to come up with two, but noooooo...listen, I'm supposed to be the smarty-pants!

You big fraud!!...okay have your laugh. Your day is coming, oh yes my friend...somewhere, somehow...hey, how much is a round trip to Oz? :devilred:

mine will be done by the end of the weekend
bye Toni

Hark! A rogue procrastinator! I love it, thank God our little club reaches all around the globe! If I'd have only known we could've waited til the last minute! Get crackin', sister! We expect nothing but full-on brindlage, 8 pens worth, right Skew? And no peeking at our pens, missy! A word of advice? before you start milling, put a tight mesh screen over your dust collector port. heh

Now, I just need to take the pictures I forgot to take. I've been waiting for days to post my pens, and just now went to attach the photos and...wait...yeah, just to attach...hmm...what'd I do with...see, the photos, and what-not...I'm pretty sure that they'r...um...yeah...attach...didn't I...what the...oops......

DANGITALL! :~

Did I mention, 'Gah!' ?

Be right back. *sigh* That's okay, you're all probably sleeping anyways. heh

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2007, 04:03 PM
Nice work, guys! I see we ended up reaching the same conclusion. The wonderful idea that I posted about? Yeah, that consisted me thinking, "Here's an idea: I only got a few days left, so draw some lines that make me feel like I've got a plan, start hacking, glue it back together, and viola! Brindletown."

Yup. 'Twas either that or drawing in some dark lines with a black marker. :- While fossicking through my blanks I came across some pieces that are naturally brindled & would've been perfect for the themes :2tsup: ...but the rules say we gotta use what we were given, dammit.

Incidentally there, Skew, old buddy...*points up, scowling*...about that whole '3 pens' thing you posted about...I'm waiting, pardner.

Now, where did I say we need 3 pens? :innocent: But I take your point. If I slap a bit more ebony at one end of my "short" blank to represent a dog's nose, and a ring o' pink myrtle at t'other end to represent, well... t'other end :rolleyes: I should be able to make a second pen. Won't be pretty though...

You big fraud!!...okay have your laugh. Your day is coming, oh yes my friend...somewhere, somehow...hey, how much is a round trip to Oz? :devilred:

Egads! 'Es unmasked me! :oo: Don't worry about packing clothes or toothpaste, you can buy them here. Pack your cases with plenty of those lovely turning blanks you milled though!

Matt88s
1st September 2007, 04:31 PM
Gosh, now I'm embarrassed to even post my pens. I'm sure there will be plenty of this :pointlaugh: going on.

Karl, you're our only hope now, take it away. :brava
I'll cover your back.:brucelee:

Matt88s
1st September 2007, 04:41 PM
Ok, I'll post, no laughing. :~

Here's black
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/095.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/256.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Here's white
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/258.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/258.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Here's brindle

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/256.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JamesBondsAAB/095.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Why did I stick them in an icky old inkwell to take pics of them? Cause I can thats why. :roll:

Why are they so big? Cause the dang resize button didn't work. :~

BernieP
1st September 2007, 06:19 PM
G'Day Penturners and others

Well after seeing Skew's magic pen, followed by Sam's flash brindle and of course Matt's big, brash, beautiful pens (love the Huon one) I don't know wether to post my poor attempts. Just keep in mind I'M still learning!!!!

By the way the gaps are intentional (my story and sticking to it)

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2007, 06:48 PM
Looks like Matt has done the closest to a "true" brindle so far... what's yer secret champ? Black marker? :wink:

Good effort, Bernie, personally I like the form of the second pen. I've found that type of shape doesn't sell too well to people who want a "pretty" pen but is fairly popular with people who are more concerned with comfort. :thyel:

Matt88s
2nd September 2007, 12:40 AM
Looks like Matt has done the closest to a "true" brindle so far... what's yer secret champ? Black marker? :wink:

Good effort, Bernie, personally I like the form of the second pen. I've found that type of shape doesn't sell too well to people who want a "pretty" pen but is fairly popular with people who are more concerned with comfort. :thyel:

Super Brindler! :U :U Just wait til you see Karl's pens. :p

Actually, watercolor pencils. The cedar gave me a good background to start with, so all I had to do was lay in the brindle pattern with a brown and black. Then water was applied to make the pattern flow out, then "super brindler" or "super glue" was applied over it to seal it. :2tsup:

Cheers!
Matthew

karlkuehn
2nd September 2007, 01:50 AM
Okay, here they are...my interpretation of brindle!

I have been wanting to try a couple of new techniques (well, new to me) - segmenting, using tinted superglue, and making my own centerbands - and this swap seemed to be the perfect time to try them! All three pens use combinations of CA and CA/BLO finishes. All three have huon center bands with wire burned details

Pen #1 (left): "Brindle"
Cut this up on the bandsaw in random curves matched between wood types and used my tinted superglue idea to glue them back together. I made some that was black, some gold pearl, and some a dark red. All three pens use this gluing method. Used a black ti 'fancy' slimline kit.

Pen #2 (middle): "Brindle 2"
Had plenty of wood left to work into a second pen with some more creative bandsawing. Used a gold 'cross' style slimline kit.

Pen #3 (right): "Black White AND Brindle" or, as I've come to call it, "Skewslayer" :q
Had to really root through my scrap bin for this one. Black and white swirl acrylic acetate sandwiched between the red cedar and camphor with a huon center band. Added glitter-filled dots, but they have air bubbles riddled through them. Used a silver 'fancy' slimline kit. I just noticed that in the picture, the lines and grains don't match on this one - the barrels were twisted a bit. They really do line up, honest! :)

http://karlkuehn.com/pens/pen%20swap/1_small.jpg
http://karlkuehn.com/pens/pen%20swap/2_small.jpg
http://karlkuehn.com/pens/pen%20swap/3_small.jpg
http://karlkuehn.com/pens/pen%20swap/4_small.jpg

I love Matt's watercolor brindle! What a great idea, gets me to thinking about trying similar technique in the future.

This was a lot of fun you guys, thanks for including me! :U

karlkuehn
2nd September 2007, 02:54 AM
Now, where did I say we need 3 pens?

oh crud, you're right - it was Matt who said we needed three! My own team mate! Arg, troubles in the ranks already! Oh well, since there's only 2 of us, I guess we needed to maximize our entries! heh

Simomatra
2nd September 2007, 04:43 PM
Well the completion so far is pretty good with Mick leading the way with the brindle so far, but they are a few still to come in yet.

Bernie
Nice set mate you should have seen some of my early attempts and some of mine now are not all that good. Its all a learning curve. Practice they say helps.

Karl
Also a nice set very flash but I see some ring in in the material side heh! They do look nice though tell us all about how you color the CA

Lets see what the late comers bring

September

Do we have a sponsor for the month?? We certainly haven't been around yet

karlkuehn
2nd September 2007, 06:13 PM
I tinted the CA using my Prismacolor art markers. When I made the cuts, I just colored both sides of the wood with whatever color I wanted and then gooped on the thick CA, working it a little to dissolve the marker coloring. When I got the color just right, I just squished the pieces together and sprayed with accelerator. Then I hit the bandsaw again.....:U

Simomatra
2nd September 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Karl

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2007, 06:41 PM
One of the reasons I don't use CA for gluing, is the seepage into the wood. I'd never given a moment's thought to tinting it and doing it deliberately! :doh: Very bloody nice, Karl, I'm feeling envious of yer talent for thinking off the beaten track. :thyel:

But no matter how I look at 'em, I see a sunset, a sunrise and a flute. (Or is it a Kazoo?) Where's the brindle...? :innocent:

karlkuehn
2nd September 2007, 07:06 PM
One of the reasons I don't use CA for gluing, is the seepage into the wood. I'd never given a moment's thought to tinting it and doing it deliberately! :doh: Very bloody nice, Karl, I'm feeling envious of yer talent for thinking off the beaten track. :thyel:

Most the time it's not me thinking off the beaten track, it's that I've been trying all this time to scratch and tumble my way on to the beaten track...:q

But no matter how I look at 'em, I see a sunset, a sunrise and a flute. (Or is it a Kazoo?) Where's the brindle...? :innocent:

Heh...good description! I like the sunset and sunrise thing, might make a good scheme for a pen and pencil set in the near future. A flute? I hadn't even thought of that until you said something, now I can't see anything else...:U My mom said that it looked like it belonged in a bowling alley.

As far as brindle? You'll notice that I said my interpretation of brindle! I thought I was doing as well as anyone until I saw Matt's. Gah. I need a better interpreter. Mine don't talk Oz so good...:C

Terry B
2nd September 2007, 07:39 PM
Here is my attempt.
The white is easy in huon. Couldn'd do much justice to black but the pen does have a dark aresa on it. It is made from the centre of a branch of mulberry and the brindle has dots rather than dark streaks but oh well.

ss_11000
2nd September 2007, 11:27 PM
nice lookiong pens every one, particularly like Karls:2tsup:

karlkuehn
3rd September 2007, 08:41 AM
... and the brindle has dots rather than dark streaks but oh well.

Nice pens, Terry! I couldn't help but notice how clean your 'dots' were. How do you do them? I tried using a drill bit on my turned blank and filling the holes with glitter and glue, but the holes weren't exactly round when I was done. :C

Simomatra
3rd September 2007, 08:47 AM
Nice set there Terry

Terry B
3rd September 2007, 10:02 PM
Nice pens, Terry! I couldn't help but notice how clean your 'dots' were. How do you do them? I tried using a drill bit on my turned blank and filling the holes with glitter and glue, but the holes weren't exactly round when I was done. :C
Thanks.
The dots are made with a plug saw and I drill the holes in the blank when it is still square. These ones only go half way and there is a single dot on the other side in the middle.
The wood for the dots was some apple tree prunings from my garden as I didn't have enough huon left. The little end slivers are huon.