PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Purchase

Geoff Sims
19th September 2003, 12:23 AM
I know there have been many posts on different makes and models of bandsaws, however, I have an opportunity to purchase a unit for $200.00 but I'm unfamiliar with the brandname.

It's a W.M.S., 2 speed, 1hp unit, with a fairly common model no, SW-1402.

Is anyone familiar with this model? It's about 9 years old, barely used.

Is this a good deal?

Picture attached to help identification.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Geoff

Sir Stinkalot
19th September 2003, 10:09 AM
For $200 how can you go wrong. It looks like the generic model that can be seen everywhere from Carbatec to Timbecon. I think it will be well worth the risk.

Stinky.

John Saxton
19th September 2003, 08:57 PM
Geoff, my 2c worth. For 200 notes its probably not a bad deal even if you have to re-furbish it.
ot
I had a similar one got around $300 for it and the guy walked happy.

I reckon you proibably have a bargain that would be hard to beat.
Check for wear on the tyre,blade guides,bearings but these don't add up to much in terms of maintenance providing the motor is in good nick.

Cheers:)

kenmil
19th September 2003, 10:50 PM
WMS is a generic brand, see here.

www.woodworking.com.au/cgi-bin/WMS.exe?WMS=list&title=Products

Geoff Sims
20th September 2003, 02:17 AM
Gentlemen

Thanks for your advice, I'll go and do the deal in the morning.

Cheers
Geoff

vcohen
28th October 2003, 11:03 AM
Hi,

Your bandsaw looks exactly like mine, down to the cabinet and switch. I think it may be a Toolmac.

I heard parts are available for them somewhere in Newcastle. Maybe someone else could give more details.

Be careful when adjusting lower cool blocks, the casting is quite brittle and will break very easily if your are even mildly willing tightening the bolts. (Trust Me, I know!!!!!!!). I am just replacing the guides with the Carbatec bearing guides.

Vince 'found out the hard way' Cohen

AlexS
28th October 2003, 08:52 PM
It seems that there are several quality standards for these 'generic' bandsaws, or maybe they've improved their standards. I've just bought a replacement top wheel slide assembly and the alloy castings are much better finish than the old ones.

Parts seem to be readily available from Hare & Forbes, Garry Pye Woodworking in WA and other suppliers. Replacement (better) motors from Smith & Butler in Hornsby NSW.