PDA

View Full Version : Do you do wood-turning at night?

lubbing5cherubs
26th August 2007, 09:38 PM
Hi I am wondering do you turn at night. I am only meaning like from say 5pm to 8.30pm or longer ? Please answer this for me. I am missing my night turning so much. Makes me want to cry..LOL. I got very spoilt I know

If you chose yes can you share with me what time do you finish turning at night
Toni

ss_11000
26th August 2007, 09:40 PM
yeah, sometimes

chrisb691
26th August 2007, 09:46 PM
Hi Toni,

I don't turn at night, because I don't think the neighbours would appreciate the noise. The Jet mini not a problem, but the dust extraction would be. If you're not using your dusty, then the noise levels should be okay........unless you swear a lot. :D

Wood Butcher
26th August 2007, 09:53 PM
Alright, no more smart alec comments please!

When I had the lathe set-up and a shed for it to live in, if I was working on something that was particularly enjoyable then I kept going till SWMBO came and told me to stop. I think the record was 10:30pm - the joys of having deaf neighbours:D

DJ’s Timber
26th August 2007, 10:10 PM
Have turned till 3 or 4 in the morning sometimes, but that was before I had neighbours.

Now-a-days I would probably only go to 10 or 11 without the dust extractor

thefixer
26th August 2007, 10:25 PM
Mostly, late afternoons and evenings are the only times I can get to spend time at the lathe. My job takes up 10 to 11 hours a day, 6 days a week and then there's the family to consider especially swmbo. :D

Cheers
Shorty

BernieP
26th August 2007, 10:39 PM
G'Day Toni

I usually don't turn at night as I tend to spend just about every afternoon in the shed, average about 4 to 5 hours a day, I guess I'm lucky.

Cheers
Bernie

DavidG
26th August 2007, 10:45 PM
Next door has a blue uniform so works shifts.

Other side is too far away to worry about.

When she (blue uniform) works night shift, late night turning is fine but keep it quiet of an AM (sleep in)

when she is on day shift I can work through the day.

ie Fit in with the neighbours and no problem :U

BANNED
26th August 2007, 10:46 PM
Sure lubbing5cherubs,
I do most of my turning, in the peace and quietness of the night time. There are no such thing as the correct times for turning, irregardless if during the day or at night. Most wood lathes are located in dark places, sheds, underground garages/store rooms, etc., etc., were lights have to be on, anyway, so it doesn't make any difference for the work itself.

I do prefer to turn at night, after dinner, I just make sure I do all the log preparations with the chainsaw, etc. during the day, so that the noise levels at night, mainly after 10:00 pm, are in within acceptable levels. I have neighbours all around, they can't hear the lathe, electric senders, etc., but they do hear sometimes, the air compressor when it kicks in, after they go to bed, but they don't have a problem with it. My best times for turning are in between 7:00 pm (or after dark), until at least midnight.

What deters you from turning at whatever the time you feel like it? If you work on something else during the day (job), I would still start turning after dinner, so that you can have a small break, before you will spend some hours, back bending on a lathe. Two of the biggest negatives of turning late at night, are the excessive humidity (up-here) to use and finish the timber with certain types of finish products, the other is the low temperatures in winter (0 to 10°) standing still on a cement floor for hours on end, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!.

Basically, work out what suits you, and follow some basic rules, don't worry what other people may think or say, it doesn't matter!

Good luck
Cheers
GV

Toolin Around
26th August 2007, 10:48 PM
Before when I had a shop on a farm and I got really stuck into something I could be in the shop till sunrise. But I sure felt it the next day. Out door welding at 1:30am can really get people's curiousity up, you can see the flash for miles. Since moving here I only have a cramped garage next to the house so wife won't let me go past 10:30.

hughie
26th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Toni,

When I had a workshop and the lathe set up. I would turn when ever there was a spare moment, night or day it was irrelevant to me.....''tis the nature of me addiction'' :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm another night owl.

Unfortunately, being stuck in the middle of suburbia means limited working hours, my big lathes, DC, saws and other noisemakers can only fire up during business hours. Well... more or less. (This may be changing soon... [fingers Xed])

However, my lovely little Leda is the perfect cure for insomnia. Many's the night I've lain in bed staring at the ceiling... and decided to sneak out to the shed "just to see how my glue-ups are going." One or two pens later, back to bed and no sleeping pills needed! :thyel:

TTIT
26th August 2007, 11:28 PM
I do pretty much all my turning at night - tend to work on outdoor or noisy projects during the few daylight hours I get free :U Usually only go until about 10pm though when the dog comes out and lets me know it's time for her bedtime snack - don't (won't!) have a clock or phone in the shed :shrug:

Barry_White
26th August 2007, 11:37 PM
Now that it is warming up of a night I will work to finish something. Latest I think is about 8:30pm so far. But then I've got all day to spend in the shed if I want to.

The only thing that I would disturb would be the sheep or the rabbits and the shed is about 4 metres from the house and you can't hear any machinery because the house is fully insulated.

Harry72
26th August 2007, 11:47 PM
Well being a shift worker as the main crust, I think nothing of turning till its sun up... I actually havent turned during day time yet!
Lucky I dont any neibours currently, as I have an empty block on one side and the house next door is MT.

rodent
26th August 2007, 11:47 PM
Crazyscew and I finished one night at about 3-4 AM one morning ,( we had a brain fart after a discussion in design ) sooo we turned till we almost dropped . But late night turning with no distractions , a clear mind ,and plenty of coffffee , a great way to go .till about 1AM .

Speanwoody
26th August 2007, 11:54 PM
Yip turn in the evenings, not every evening though, say from 7pm till about 11pm and at the weekend of course during the day and evening off

ticklingmedusa
27th August 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm also a member of the nocturnal spinners club. A session lasting from
9:00 PM til 2:00 or 3:00 AM is nothing unusual for me.
My shop is insulated and a block wall keeps the machine noise & music down & in my yard.
I've checked with the people next door and they hear nothing.
Whenever I turn during the day I am startled by someone coming :oo:
in the shop door, which could cause an accident.
And then theres the telephone.
For me the night time is the right time.
Of course as a consequence, I do not exist before the crack of noon.
tm

OGYT
27th August 2007, 12:39 PM
I turn at night when I have the need, or a desire to. I have turned 'til 1 or 2 AM before, when her majesty is gone to the kid's. For one thing, in the summer it's cooler in the shed at night.
Don't have a DC, and all the chainsawing is done before I start turning. The air compressor isn't very loud... my shed has open eaves... and I've never had a complaint from neighbors... only one close enough to hear anything anyway.
But now I'm gettin' to the age that I can go like a house afire, 'til about noon, then it's naptime, and after that only a couple of hours and I'm too pooped to pop. :D

Hardenfast
27th August 2007, 12:46 PM
Yep, like many of the others the evening is really the only time I get to spend any time on the lathe, Toni. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't share my wife's taste in television shows so I usually look for other activities most evenings, and sometimes there is some inspiration to switch on the spinner.

No noise probs for me. The workshop is well insulated by being down under the house and I don't bother with the dust extractor for lathe work. Interestingly, I have a small TV and a stereo system down there, and I can usually hear either quite clearly over the noise of the lathe - most operations, anyway.

Wayne

lubbing5cherubs
27th August 2007, 03:34 PM
so my house being fully bricked underneath that should dull the noise quite a bit? so I should be able to go til the heart content within reason. My neighbours on both side are lovely people I have met them. both friendly one does do bit of wooddwork but he said he is retired and he hears my kids talking. so I am just curious
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2007, 03:43 PM
Simple. If you're on good terms, simply talk it over with them and let them know. Tell 'em that you'll stop if they think it's too loud.

Which I'm sure you've already done, eh? :D

Good neighbours are a blessing... if you want to find out what a bad one's like, I'll do you a swap. Hell, I'd even consider paying all mine's travel expenses if I knew 'twas a one-way ticket! :~

Cliff Rogers
27th August 2007, 07:48 PM
I would if I could but I don't have power on in my shed so I can't see what I'm doing. :wink:

funkychicken
27th August 2007, 08:34 PM
The lastest I've worked was making a jewellery box till midnight.

The usual turning knock off time is 10:30ish

TTIT
27th August 2007, 11:26 PM
I would if I could but I don't have power on in my shed so I can't see what I'm doing. :wink:???????? Hmmm - so you're using a treadle lathe Cliff !!!!!????? :rolleyes: Next you'll be tellin' me you've seen the Mallan monster!!!!:;

Cliff Rogers
28th August 2007, 11:09 PM
???????? Hmmm - so you're using a treadle lathe Cliff !!!!!????? :rolleyes:
http://www.ubeaut.biz/fishing.gif

Next you'll be tellin' me you've seen the Mallan monster!!!!:;
Gina works with a bloke who had a dairy farm there, I'll ask about it. :think:

Stu in Tokyo
28th August 2007, 11:19 PM
I turn whenever I can, a lot of the time it is at night. I built some simple vibrations isolation pads to go under the legs of my lathe, and I turn until the sun comes up, not that I'd know, down in the Dungeon :D

Cheers!

Rance
29th August 2007, 06:28 AM
Well, I'm surprised some had not done this before me. Or maybe they did but they had too much dignity. Well... I DON'T. :D

Sometimes I DO turn in the night,
but I always need a light,

especially when I turn a burl,
so I can see that faithfull curl.

I always turn in the round,
right beside my trusty hound.

Sometimes I turn in light of day,
and feel the warmth of the suns ray.

I never turn while really tired,
lest I try clay that's just been fired.

I could turn while on a boat,
or in a Truck or with a bloke.

I could turn with a cat,
or with a dog on my lap.

I could turn on my house,
with a friend or with a mouse.

One thing I've learned from the past,
is if it flys, i've turned too fast.

One thing I've found I like to do
is turn at night for a change of view.

So WHEN you turn it doesn't matter,
just don't try it on a ladder.

Rance

David L
29th August 2007, 05:21 PM
Toni I assume you are worried about the disturbing the neighbours?
Why not give it a go for a while and then ask your neighbours if it disturbed them, you and them will not know till you try.
Surely turning a pen can't be that noisy particularly when surrounded with brick walls

littlebuddha
30th August 2007, 04:56 AM
If i did not have people close by then i would turn at night as i do love the evenings and small hours the smell of the air and lack of noise, untill you turn the extract sys on, if you don't live near to people and wana turn do so, but if others can hear you and its at a time others sit down to watch there tv or sleep then i would say you run the risk of a bit of 4x4 on the back of the head, i like my peace so noise from others when no need is a no no. happy turnings, and watch for those 4x4s.

Terry B
30th August 2007, 10:35 AM
Toni
I do most of my turning at night after 8:30 when the kids are finally settled for the night, homework finished etc.
Noise is no problem as my closest neighbour is about 1km away.
It has just been too cold recently so I haven't been doing much but will restart soon.

BarFly
30th August 2007, 08:59 PM
I do nearly all my turning at night, the sheds a great place to escape for a few hours and when the lathes on the wife doesn't bother me.:U