PDA

View Full Version : Canberra wood show

Greg Ward
27th August 2007, 09:33 AM
Canberra wood show 8/9 September.

Mal from Boutique Timbers will be there again, with red cedar, rosewood, mackay cedar, huon pine, river red gum, camphor, etc. etc.
Burls, slabs 4X4, slices and boards.

Let him know on 0416 097 827 if you want anything special taken down.
Regards
Greg

wheelinround
27th August 2007, 10:02 AM
:rolleyes: LOML how would you like a weekend in ACT ou can spend time checking out galleries and stuff while I check out WWS and buy stuff:p

Think it will work

Greg Ward
29th August 2007, 08:29 AM
Mistake in last note regarding Canberra wood show:
dates are:
Friday 7 Sep to Sunday 8 Sep.

Orders can be picked up from Mal on the Thursday as he sets up.
Regards
Greg

DavidG
29th August 2007, 11:29 AM
Shall we try
Fri Sep 7 to Sun Sep 9

jaspr
3rd September 2007, 03:34 PM
It's a shame that Carbatec won't have a presence this year, but at the price of a stand, I'm not surprised.

I really don't know how the other exhibitors cover the cost. It must be part of their advertising budget as well.

DavidG
3rd September 2007, 04:53 PM
The cost of the stall spaces and the cost of entry may see an end to the shows.:C

mcarthur
3rd September 2007, 06:18 PM
So, shall we make a time to meet?

How about one of these:

Friday 10am
Friday 2pm
Saturday 11am
Saturday 2pm
Sunday 11am
Saturday 1pm

Rob

les88
4th September 2007, 07:35 AM
Rob,
I will be there at 10am Friday and as' Joe the gadget man' said,....... bring your money with you :2tsup::2tsup:
les

mcarthur
4th September 2007, 10:52 AM
Bring money?? :oo:

Don't have much of that - just bought a new car since mine bit the dust :C.

Still, I wouldn't mind some things - drum sander, festo 150/3, time :o and a shed :~.

Sigh. Selling my ML392 at the moment to get dosh for new shed. If I can find a buyer before friday, then I'm sure I could siphon off a bit for this weekend :roll:.

I'll try and get there at 10 on friday then.

Rob

BrettC
4th September 2007, 06:32 PM
I'm going to have a look on Sat, will try to fit in the demos on the router table, laminations, cabinet scraper demo and maybe the files rasps demo. No Carbatec is a bummer, seeing they are national and I thought at the other shows (Melb? Syd?) would have thought they could have worn the Canberra show but as said the stall cost must be pretty high although you wonder if BenchPro 2000 man can do it then....

Noticed that Richard Raffan appears to be doing the Melb event but not Canberra - would have liked to have seen one or two hollow form demos...newby like me needs it!

No UBeaut again - shame would be nice to see all their products in the one spot - having said that I know Neil has his reasons at the moment.

I think Gifkins will be here but not Roger (or no demo's this year at least). I hope the ACT Woodworking Guild is up to its usual fantastic standards. Am tossing up whether to get myself a nice little HNT Gordon 3/4 inch Shoulder plane:U . I've also been checking out the size of the Melb show and tossing up if I can fit this into my plans for October would be great to see a fully fledged show.

I_wanna_Shed
4th September 2007, 06:49 PM
I think Gifkins will be here but not Roger (or no demo's this year at least). I hope the ACT Woodworking Guild is up to its usual fantastic standards. Am tossing up whether to get myself a nice little HNT Gordon 3/4 inch Shoulder plane:U . I've also been checking out the size of the Melb show and tossing up if I can fit this into my plans for October would be great to see a fully fledged show.

Roger's website still says that Gifkins will be there and will be doing demos. I hope he is still there - I'm going to compare the Gifkins and the Leigh!!!

BrettC
4th September 2007, 07:49 PM
Ok, apologies to Roger, think he might be demo'ing from his stall instead of listed as a seperate demo on the WWW site then?

thewoodworker
5th September 2007, 08:12 PM
i have had a looked in the australian dewalt site if you check in the events ,dewalt will be there with the name of
Fisher Discounts
http://www.dewalt.com.au/events/local-events/calendar/
very happy i can buy myself a dewalt nailer and a radio

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:2tsup:

s_m
7th September 2007, 09:49 AM
I will be at the show this arvo with my father-in-law while grandma stays here with Miss 3.5 who has declared "NO!" she doesn't want to go to the woodwork show.

My mantra for today will be:

I must not buy timber
I must not buy timber
I must not buy timber...

Oh except a teeny bit of purple heart if there is some :B.

PS. Saw a preview of this week's Stateline and looks like there is a story on the Woodwork Guild. Billed as "every bloke needs a shed" :~.

Steph

notenoughtoys
7th September 2007, 10:17 AM
could someone who is attending the show today post a report please. SWMBO would like a "bit of a day out" tomorrow, might take her on a nice drive... to Canberra for the WWS :o

Big Shed
7th September 2007, 10:25 AM
could someone who is attending the show today post a report please. SWMBO would like a "bit of a day out" tomorrow, might take her on a nice drive... to Canberra for the WWS :o

Hope you're leaving early............

mcarthur
7th September 2007, 10:59 AM

Damn - I'll have to back that. I was getting there this morning (in 2 minutes time), but now doesn't look like it's anytime today at all :((. I'll go anyway, probably tomorrow, but a report would help that ol' lethagy :rolleyes:.

Rob

thewoodworker
7th September 2007, 08:32 PM
carbatec will be in canberra woodworking show in the stand 56 and 57,please if you guys have been at the show let us know how did you go.
i will see you sunday canberra show :2tsup:

:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:U :U:roll: :roll: :roaro-r: :aro-r:o-r: :aro-r: :doh:

Coffee
7th September 2007, 09:26 PM
Spent all day at the show, surprised really because there wasn't all that much there, but still spent time watching some demos, bought one of Terry Gordon's new planes, a keyless chuck for the drill press, couple of odds and ends from Fisher Discounts. Sturt Woodworking School were there, first time I think. Doing one of there courses in a couple of weeks.

Was very surprised to see that Fitch Sharpening had a large Jet Display. In the spot that Major Woodworking from Sydney usually have. Major Wood had a much smaller stand than usual.

Timbercon had a huge space, but nothing of interest. Combined Electrical sold the last of the Kapex's, was talking to the guy who bought the last one. Festool say that they will not have stock in Australia again till June next year.

Was charged $7 for a muffin, must have been a mistake, but I paid up and then complained about it all day - and tonight!

Felder was there. Love their gear, was tempted by their bandsaw, but put off for another day.

But the best thing by far was that it RAINED, on and off all day.

notenoughtoys
8th September 2007, 12:23 AM

discussed the idea of travelling to Canberra tomorrow after dinner, and I have to say, it didn't go well at all :no:
Needless to say she didn't share my enthusiasm at the prospect of 3+ hours either way to Canberra to fill the rest of the day in wandering around a WW Show, I think we're heading off to a nursery instead to take advantage of the current weather :kickcan:
Ah well, at least the dog lets me be in charge..... sometimes :doh:

les88
8th September 2007, 09:01 AM
I was among the first to get thru the gate at 10am, bought some nice wood, then went looking for a scroll saw, Timbercom had two models and while the salesman was giving me a demo on the larger model Sherwood at $285, the three that they brought with them were sold, so I dipped out:((:((. So by 10.30 the first day sold out they made a mistake there. I was not going home without the saw no CT. The Ryobi stand had one for $185 with a plastic tray full of Demel type of tools and a flexible shaft with a chuck for the tools, so I took that home. Got one of the digital angle guides.:2tsup:Also bought one of those vyces that do every thing
les

corbs
9th September 2007, 10:33 AM
I am going along today, getting the kids ready now... so I should be walking out the door just after lunch :rolleyes:. Actually will be getting going shortly. The financial situation isn't the greatest at the moment so I hope I don't see too much that I like. Thinking pen kits and blanks but I really want a chuck:roll:. Will keep my out for $8 muffins though :o.

Corbs

DavidG
9th September 2007, 01:46 PM
Almost made it out without damage.

Bought a set of Vicmarc jaws and some Aluminum brazing rods. :U

Back there at 5pm to move the stuff back to the shed.

corbs
9th September 2007, 02:36 PM
I didn't go with the intention to buy anything, nothing really on my shopping list at the moment but grabbed a perfume applicator kit (SWMBO birthday in a couple of weeks :;) and a cheap slab of camphor for the bases of some blanket boxes which are an ongoing WIP. Boxes will be basic pine but thought the camphor in the bases will smell good enough. It was my first show and was better than I was expecting after hearing the stories from others on the forums. Loved walking around the wood merchants out the front and inside looking at those slabs.

Corbs

BrettC
9th September 2007, 11:13 PM
Well I had a good day, wasn't expecting much after the last few years and looking at the floor plans seemed as though it would be even smaller this year. Had a good look at a few workbenches around the place to get a few pointers for the one I'm building at the moment. Couldnt help it had to get a shoulder plane from HNT Gordon - very nice and had been wanting one for ages.

Liked the look of Roger Gifkins router tables - seemed nice and simple but effective, didn't end up pricing the new (ish?) Triton routers but meant to. Got a few other odds and ends, bench dogs from McJing, corner chisel and a couple of bits of wood from Trend including a nice peice of Spanish Cedar, I'd been looking for some of that for a while and it seemed to be sitting all by itself on the bench, will sit on it for a while while I ponder a humidor...no hurry.

As usual the Guild had some very nice furniture and smaller stuff had a chat to few members. Saw the Kapex demo, loved the cutting behind the blade arbor:U All up the show wasn't bad.

jaspr
9th September 2007, 11:40 PM
I went on Friday - seemed a bit smaller than last year. Shame that Carbatec weren't there - priced out of the market, according to Andy.

I wanted some timber for some boxes, so went straight to Trend. Got an assortment of colourful exotics I haven't used before - purpleheart, padauk, wenge, zebrano. Plus some nicely figured blackwood, curly maple and some queensland walnut.

I was astounded at the prices of the veneer packs. Had been toying with the idea (never done any before), but it was cheaper by far to by the solid timber. I was amazed.:o

Also picked up a Metabo 450 Duo ROS. I'd wanted one for a while and the show special had it in a neat plastic case plus 25 extra abrasives. Then went around to the abrasives guy and picked up some finer grits - 320, 500 and 600. Looking forward to some fine finishes on the boxes!

And I spoilt myself and picked up an Adria dovetail saw from Terry G. :U I'd been coveting one for a while. It's superb - real nice fine and straight cuts. It's uncanny - it seems to cut even better on a diagonal (a la dovetail tails) than it does straight ripping. Or maybe I just got better at it by the time I tried some angled cuts. Yep, I'm planning some hand cut dovetails on my boxes.

Oh, and a muffin - cheap at only $3.50!

Now I have to wait until next June for the next one ..:(

mat
10th September 2007, 09:35 AM
I had a list of five items that I wanted from Timbecon. They didn't bring any of these. Then asked for a catalogue - none of these either.
Over to MIK and asked for their latest catalogue - you guessed it they didn't have any either.
Went home relatively empty handed apart from a japanese pull saw from Trend and a few prizes from the crosscut saw race which my son ropes me into every year.