PDA

View Full Version : The finishing touch.

docusk
27th August 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm well back into the swing of things after a few years absence from the scene. Not much better mind but trying.
When I've finished an item, bowl, candlesticks, ring tray etc, I like to cover the base with a circle of velour fabric (used to be called Fablon in the UK). It comes in rolls of 3 or more metres about 1/2 a metre wide and in red, blue and green, rather like a baize finish.
If anyone else does use it, are there any tips for cutting a perfect circle? I'm starting with a square and then trimming with a pair of scissors which is not so good if you are old and decrepit like me and shake a bit when you're concentrating. Tremor of intention the quacks call it.
I suppose a set of turned circles of ply or hardboard would be useful but my luck the base would always finish up smaller or larger then my templates! Somebody's law I think.

docusk

Frank&Earnest
27th August 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi doc. The way I would do it is to collect tins of various sizes, put them on the lathe and sand the edge until it becomes sharp. You then have a set of round punches that you can tap gently with a mallet to cut the disks you need from the fabric. I am sure that our consumerist society will provide you with all the sizes you need...:)

Cheers
Frank

OGYT
27th August 2007, 12:47 PM
F&E's idea seems like a good one to me. Other than that, you might get a compass, and put a small Xacto knife in the place of the pencil, with the blade turned... you might even bend the thing into a slant so it would cut better, or sharpen the blade into a rounded shape.. It should cut a pretty fair circle. Let us see something if you figure it out.

joe greiner
27th August 2007, 01:16 PM
I'd go with Frank's idea, Al. Fabric stretches too much to cut piecemeal; keeps trying to wander. The punch would take it all at once.

Joe

arose62
27th August 2007, 01:44 PM
Can you sandwich the fabric between a cutting board, and the base of the object, and trim around it?

Or between a cutting board, and a disk of wood the required size, then run the knife around the disk?

Hot melt glue the fabric to a faceplate, then hold a knife against it as it rotates?

Cheers,
Andrew

mick61
27th August 2007, 04:48 PM
G`day you could roughly cut a piece glue it to your turned item when set carefully with a razor sharpe knife trim the fabric.
Mick:D

P.S I like the tin lid idea aswell aslong as you turn the pieces to suit.

docusk
27th August 2007, 07:52 PM
Wow!
That''s what I call a result. I like the idea of the tins and I've tried the sharp knife idea which works but can be a bit ragged. The compasses with an Exacto type blade sounds very promising.
I do think I shall have to be more picky and pedantic about the size of the base in future. I know I can do accurate work as I was an engineer in a former life, only a few years back got rid of a nice Myford engineer's lathe and all the goodies with it. FOOL!
Thanks blokes, I am drawn to this forum every I time I ask for help. So far always successful.

docusk
:2tsup:

rodent
28th August 2007, 12:31 AM
Baize mmmn try andrews idea but use double sided carpet tape ,sticks like mad but can be peeled off . Other uses include small ( read up to 2 inch 50mm for the metricated ) sticking small bits of trim etc . It's great stuff but don't use the foam stuff carpet tape is thin and sticks better .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th August 2007, 12:48 AM
Maybe paint an area with a dilute PVA mix and sprinkle it with flock?

docusk
28th August 2007, 01:30 AM
I had an uneasy feeling that the material might not be known to you chaps. It is self adhesive with tremendous grip, if you do try to move it, chances are you will get a ruck (not a wallabies type ruck) in the material which is by that time ruined.
Flock on glue sounds good but sourcing it might be a problem over here,

Thanks to both of you.
docusk

hughie
28th August 2007, 07:35 AM
Docusk,Have a look here they might be able to help youhttp://www.flocking.co.uk/

Richard Findley
29th August 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi Docusk,

I saw a demo by Gary Rance (big name pro on the demo circuit in the UK). He showed the "traditional" way of using baize on a base is to cut a small groove on the base of your item and use it to "tuck" the edges of the baize in to. I can't clearly recall the exact details now:doh: but it may be worth a go?

Good luck,:2tsup:

Richard

docusk
29th August 2007, 10:34 AM
Hello Richard F.
Curses and drats!!! Gary was the speaker at my Association this month and I couldn't go. I have seen him before and he's V good.
Mind, I might not have thought to bring the subject up as I was just about to start with the baize after his demo.
Thanks anyway, I can see what you mean and perhaps I can do that by planning ahead.
docusk