PDA

View Full Version : Couple of pics

GeorgeK
27th August 2007, 03:47 PM
Just a couple of things I finished up tonight. I'm just going to call them prototypes because they both need to be refined a little bit. The first one is about 7" square and 3" high and made from maple and finished with a wiping poly.
The second one is about 3-1/2" dia and from Oregon myrtlewood. I turned it between centers to start and made tendons to hold it ,then cut it in half, turned the insides. Glued it back together ,trying to match the grain, then turned half the outside in the chuck , then finished the other side in a vacuum chuck. It was alot of work and I'm not sure I want to make these to sell, I'll have to charge a mint in just time. :o

Sorry about the inches thing but I'm too old to learn to convert to mm's or cm's or what even . :C

Sebastiaan56
27th August 2007, 04:16 PM
These look very nice George. The square bowl, do you use sacrificial edges, or risk your knuckles?

Also dont worry about the measurements too much, most can talk inches,

Sebastiaan

wheelinround
27th August 2007, 09:34 PM
Intersting concepts nice work:2tsup:

GeorgeK
28th August 2007, 02:54 AM
Sebastiaan,
I turn it square and watch my knuckles . :U

Actually it is an awful lot of hand sanding to get it done. I don't have any problems turning square items I just watch the shadow line real close and try to keep my fingers outside the tool rest.

Sebastiaan56
28th August 2007, 08:13 AM
Sebastiaan,
I turn it square and watch my knuckles . :U

Actually it is an awful lot of hand sanding to get it done. I don't have any problems turning square items I just watch the shadow line real close and try to keep my fingers outside the tool rest.

Cool, Ive tried it a couple of times and always end up with with what I consider too much sanding. But then im not very patient with sanding a piece after its off the lathe. Tmie to give it another shot,

Hardenfast
28th August 2007, 09:39 AM
Really interesting stuff, George. Don't worry about trying to convert to metric by the way - we're versatile over here.

I've never heard of Oregon Myrtlewood, although other forumites probably have. In Australia the local generic term for imported Douglas Fir is Oregon. Can ask what you used to slice the 2nd item in half? What is the intended purpose of this piece, by the way?

Consensus of opinion seems that its quite difficult to sell these sort of items for any amount which resembles a reasonable return on the hours invested. Still, it's all good fun isn't it?

Wayne

GeorgeK
28th August 2007, 09:59 AM
Wayne,
I cut a flat spot on the item and run it through the band saw being very mindful that all that was resting on the table was about an 1-1/2" flat.
They are supposed to be used to display dried flowers or something like that. I just tried a small one to see if I wanted to give them to the gallery to sell, still trying to decide. Alot of work for a little return, maybe not worth the trouble.
I just started to sell my stuff and now I'm getting picky ..... :o

joe greiner
28th August 2007, 01:44 PM
Nice looking pieces, George. Is the lid on the first one ebony? Or just "ebonized?" And if ebonized, what technique did you use?

The second one sounds like an interesting hollowing exercise. I think I've seen something like it recently, but can't remember exactly where. Could have been AAW or SMC. IIRC, they didn't provide info about their procedure. But for a "weed pot" (as they're called), I don't think it needs to be completely hollow. Just needs a cylindrical hole from the top. In fact, completely hollow might not provide proper support for the stem. Mounting alone (for both faces) is a sufficient challenge.

Joe

GeorgeK
28th August 2007, 02:19 PM
Joe,
The insert in the square one is a flower frog, similar to the ones shown here .

http://stonelantern-highlands.com/kenzan/kenzan_3/kenzan_3.html

On the second one I was just thinking about making it one piece as you suggested and drilling it then inserting a plastic tube for flowers.
Have to give it a try.

Thanks for the nice comments guys

joe greiner
28th August 2007, 02:40 PM
Hi George.

Paint ball tubes are a perfect size. Cut off for less than full-depth holes. I got a bag of empties from this surplus mob:

http://www.sciplus.com/

but alas no longer in stock.

Joe

Frank&Earnest
28th August 2007, 02:48 PM
Well, George, you might have a better market than you think for this product. This is the only piece of wood "art" I ever bought, as everybody else here I prefer to do it than to buy it...

This one is made of mallee root. On closer examination I think it was just shaped with a sanding device, not turned, but I had already handed out my $50. Such is life!

GeorgeK
30th August 2007, 02:19 PM
Turned some wine stoppers and made a display base for them. The base is a small maple burl that I just couldn't throw away, glad I didn't now.
Attempted to turn a 3 legged flower bowl like the 4 legged one but it ended up as a three sided no leg bowl.
Last is a small hollow form from dyed cottonwood and African Blackwood finial. Don't remember if I posted it before. About 2.5" dia X 4" tall including finial.

BANNED
30th August 2007, 04:48 PM
Hi GeorgeK,

Some good stuff you got there, intriguing shapes, smooth finishes.

Well done.:2tsup:

Cheers
GV