PDA

View Full Version : My set of steel, helping "arms".

BANNED
27th August 2007, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

I have been building this idea, as a result of various reasons, not having a bandsaw, is one, the rest isn't difficult to work out, including the safety advantages. I have used all sorts of helping systems to try securing the logs, "A"frames, logs cut with a V groove, V groove and stopper, etc., etc.. Using a chainsaw to prepare your various sises/shapes blanks, is effective, quick but very dangerous. This way, is going to be 3 times as fast, easier on the back, stooping the risk of cutting a foot, and safer on the hands, as they are now both controlling the chainsaw, and not trying to stop the log to move around. I have finished this "portable" frame today, and gave it the necessary tests to make sure of its effectiveness.
It works well for me, therefore, I have a serious of pics (29), reduced to a small size, for easier download, that will be added in lots of 5 (maximum allowed).

Cheers
GV

BANNED
27th August 2007, 04:59 PM
Another 5 pics!

BANNED
27th August 2007, 05:02 PM
5 more pics!

BANNED
27th August 2007, 05:06 PM
I hope you like pictures...! another 5.

Alastair
27th August 2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Nyodine,

Nice and clever setup you have there. Certainly a better option than what I used in the years before I could afford chainsaw and bandsaw. I was splitting the log through the pith with an axe/wedge and hammer, and then mounting the 'half log' on a faceplate, and turning away bark and corners to get to a round shape. When this was combined with a single (1300rpm) lathe, it led to a very stressful beginning to any turning project.

Looking back, I was very fortunate not to suffer more mishaps. The only significant one was when an over-hardened carbon steel gouge shattered under the impacts, fortunately without damage. It is from those days that I developed a finely tuned sense of standing out of the line of fire while turning, which has stood me in good stead to date.

BANNED
27th August 2007, 05:15 PM
and another 5.

BANNED
27th August 2007, 05:23 PM
Well, these are the last 3 pics, making it 28 and not 29 as I mention:no:
Everybody likes to see pics, so these are all the photos in the camera from this metal frame. I've tried to use it on every way possible to mount a wood log on this frame of mine, and every time, it did the job, so I reckon, is good enough for me...!:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

DJ’s Timber
27th August 2007, 05:47 PM
Looks good GV, but how do you adjust it and lock it down to clamp the timber?

Looks like there's a bent bolt at the back but can't quite see it in the photos

Barry Hicks
27th August 2007, 06:17 PM
That looks like one hell of a good idea and I can feel one coming on! Can you give us a few hints on building one?

Barry Hicks

joe greiner
27th August 2007, 11:13 PM
:2tsup:

Very, very, very versatile instrument you've invented, GV. Thanks for posting. I expect there'll be several copies made in the near future.

Joe

Hardenfast
28th August 2007, 09:22 AM
Great innovation GV - I like it! Like DJ I was wondering what the clamping/locking mechanism is? Also, what did you make the spikes from?

Excellent solution to a potentially dangerous operation! Of course the down-side is that this is now another project that needs to be added to an ever burgeoning list. Oh well.

BANNED
29th August 2007, 12:32 AM
G'day everyone,

Thank you for your comments, they are most welcome.
I have no doubt of how many of you, will find this tool a really helper and are ready to make one. I'm glad this simple tool, is going to make things a lot easier and safer for yourself, as it does for me. I have been wondering what I could use to make it, looking around the yard and shed, I didn't found anything to my satisfaction, until last week in my routine quad run into the paddock next door, (next to the main road), I came across a bent sign metal post (only, no sign), dumped into the bushes, on the boundary fence that runs beside the road. Looking from the road side, a new Stop sign has been installed, so I reckon the Council fellows, didn't wanted to carry the bent pipe back to the yards, so thanks fellows, it does it just right for my idea. Actually looking at the very first pic of the first post, you can see laying on the grass, the let over of my "helper arms", with the bent still on it. The pipe was cut with a hacksaw in 2 pieces, and then all the angles cut near through, so that I could give it the shape and keep it all in one piece x 2. Using only one size pipe, did create some obvious problems, as one had to run lose, inside of the other so, I got around it by running the 4" grinder through the back of the top part (opening a bit, size of the bolt) and doing the same on the bottom part, but this time making a double cut through the length, to remove a strip of metal approx. 20mm wide, (closing a bit). If you use the same type of bolts as I did,(the 2 that holds into the timber post) and you don't want to insert them the same way (heads in), the metal strip to be cut, will only be 10mm. Another point of interest, is the locking system I made, which is simply 2 nuts (to fit the bolt/handle size you want), welding them properly on each side of the grinding cut (minimum 5 mm ), then after decide which side you want the handle from, the nut on that side, is then drilled to a size that the bolt can travel through easily, a couple of washes, and you're done...!
Hope that you are a lot better welder than me, the galvanised tube (lots of weldings) was coated with thinned roof tar.

OK, I think that's pretty much it, the rest is very much self explanatory, nevertheless, if you have any questions, don't be shy. There are 9 pictures to come, 5 now and the other 4 in the next post.

For those that end-up making something, I would be thankful if you could have the courtesy to send us a couple of pics.:2tsup:

Good luck
Cheers
GV

BANNED
29th August 2007, 12:35 AM
The final 4 pics

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2007, 01:12 AM
Good stuff :2tsup:

joe greiner
29th August 2007, 01:55 AM
Nominated for "Best of the Best"; also bookmarked.

Joe

munruben
29th August 2007, 10:05 AM
What a terrific idea. great work.:2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
1st September 2007, 04:03 PM
Cheers, JV. Awesome holder. Greenie Launched. :)

Bruce101
1st September 2007, 11:45 PM
Brilliant concept......Bugger, now you've started me thinking.

Stu in Tokyo
2nd September 2007, 12:11 AM
Well thought out, well designed, and executed, I like it! :2tsup:

joe greiner
2nd September 2007, 12:18 PM
Pics gone walkabout? Any idea where?

Joe

DJ’s Timber
2nd September 2007, 12:33 PM
Not sure what's going on here, but I think GV might have spat the dummy due to the "Mounting Systems thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=54846)".

He seems to have cleared all of his pictures in all of his threads and has also changed his location and even turned off his reputations.

If I am wrong I apologise and hopefully he gets the pictures back up

Frank&Earnest
2nd September 2007, 01:32 PM
As a homage to GV if you guys are wrong and he is coming back, or something positive to remember him by otherwise, here is a poorly drawn sketch of his idea.

joe greiner
2nd September 2007, 08:13 PM
What a dreary episode.

Of course, he has the prerogative to delete all his pics; might even be needed for any of us if the storage limit is reached. In most jurisdictions, copyright attaches to the image and text only, and occurs without registration. I don't think [F&E's] sketch violates copyright; none of his pics illustrated that view IIRC.

BUT, the toothpaste is out of the tube, and the idea itself has no protection after disclosure without filing for a patent. Even after issuance of a patent, again in most jurisdictions, private use for non-commercial purposes is a valid defence against an infringement action. Google relevant terms for insight.

Looks like the idea is fair game, and cloning may be allowed under the proper circumstances. Note: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on television; but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express.

He might not like it, but he's gotten a double lesson in intellectual property concepts.

Joe

BernieP
2nd September 2007, 08:38 PM
G'Day Joe

Seeing the other bloke has left I thought I would use this spot to direct people to a interesting site http://www.beammachine.com/

Cheers
Bernie

sumu
25th September 2007, 07:57 PM
BUT, the toothpaste is out of the tube, and the idea itself has no protection after disclosure without filing for a patent. Even after issuance of a patent, again in most jurisdictions, private use for non-commercial purposes is a valid defence against an infringement action. Google relevant terms for insight.

Looks like the idea is fair game, and cloning may be allowed under the proper circumstances. Note: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on television; but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express.

He might not like it, but he's gotten a double lesson in intellectual property concepts.

Joe

All what Joe writes is true. Especially in there when someone introduces an invention before studying it's protection and possibilities to obtain IPR ownership. Only thing where I would put a remark is that there is more descriptive ways to announce the nature of the situation than "toothpaste out of the tube".

If the original poster took the pics away because of sudden wake-up to apply for a patent, the fact is that anyone who has those pictures (BTW I did not see them) can shoot down the filed patent if it can be strongly enough proved that those pics are from earlier publication than the patent. It just is so.

Now, the inventor may still try to proceed by applying for so called utility patent, but it is much weaker than the actual application patent would have been. In many countries, there is no way to apply for a patent based on readily published descriptions because of the demand of the concept of absolute novelty. In an case of private person, in practice this demand has to be fulfilled well enough. For a major business enterprise, there is unfortunately other ways to handle with these things.

The thing works otherways, too, nobody else can patent the exact content of those pics, but the problem is then there that there may be a team of experienced engineers providing some extra ideas, doing some R&D a bit and then the thing is protected based on that. It is now a novelty, including the properties readily seen.

All those patent officials I have talked with would do one thing: ban all the search engines, and if not completely, at least their caches. Those cache memory storages will keep different types of files for a long time. I have found for example price lists, gone from the originating site years ago.

As far as I know, I do not work for IKEA, but I can't really say it for sure. I mean, today I put something on display here, and a couple of months later it can be found in large quantities from the shelves of some big store. You'll never know. To me it would be a matter of ROTLF, to some other it would be something else.

Despite of this, I'll keep on posting if I got something worth posting.

sumu

K_S
25th September 2007, 08:00 PM
The final 4 pics

:( no pics when I read thread:C (and other sad looks)

joe greiner
26th September 2007, 12:10 AM
Sumu, the "double lesson" referred to a situation that arose in another forum or thread before you joined, and seems to have escalated to what we have now. I don't think he intended to apply for a patent, but the question of morality came up after the fact. Also, note that, according to my imperfect understanding, US patent law differs slightly from other jurisdictions regarding filing versus disclosure; now brought into more exact conformance.

IIRC, of all patents granted, only about 1 or 2% ever generate commercial gain; and even in those cases, the patent itself is good for only about 10% of the value. The rest comes from production enhancements, proper marketing and such. Those values can be added without patent protection.

In USA, the utility patent is stronger. The design patent covers only the exterior appearance, and you could drive a truck through all the loopholes.

Joe

sumu
26th September 2007, 02:13 AM
Oh man, I clearly missed the point like with 180 degrees :-. I checked out the thread more carefully, and "there" it was. Right. Apologies!

IT's just that I have seen such a situation twice before, a guy presents his invention, and then suddenly silence, posts gone. Later on it was found out that in both cases they tried to apply for patent, but failed because of those public discussions.

I hope I did not mess up, and I hope this fellow comes back. There is never too much good innovations, nor fellows.

In USA, the utility patent is stronger. The design patent covers only the exterior appearance, and you could drive a truck through all the loopholes.

Joe

I see I failed here, too. That's what I really ment, the design patent. Utility patent is indeed very strong. Argh! (primal finnish scream when hitting the head against a hard Carelian pine)

Not my day today...:-

Kippis,

sumu

OGYT
26th September 2007, 11:44 AM
If you want the pictures, look in your Temporary Internet Files... they are probably still there.

I found them in mine.
If you want to know how to locate them, just pm me.

Frank&Earnest
26th September 2007, 11:55 AM
Given that I was partially responsible for the mess, by posting a sketch as a well intentioned but maybe in some respects inflaming memento, I feel I should add a bit of explanation. I have patents of both types to my name, all in the 98% category :D and am pretty sure that protection of intellectual property was never the issue here. I was paying homage to the cleverness of the home made execution, the concept is not IMHO sufficiently innovative to be patentable anyway.

It is in the very nature of a forum to be a place for sharing ideas. That's why I show mine and many others show theirs here without any ulterior motive. The intellectual satisfaction (vanity?) is the same as with obtaining useless patents and it costs nothing.

Actually, now that I think of it: I had forgotten a couple of "woody' ones, I could post them here to satisfy my vanity!:U

La truciolara
26th September 2007, 10:57 PM
:no: :no: :no:
How did you manage to see the pictures?

hughie
26th September 2007, 11:29 PM
Interesting that the pics have gone. But then it is the prerogative of the publisher and as mentioned before the cache limits etc

But it may not be of much help for patenting purposes here in Oz. It has to be 'new and or 'novel' once you publish or show the idea around it is no longer new or novel.Hence the reason for non disclosure agreements that are signed by all who are to view the device prior to any patent being applied for and I think that this holds true for most countries.

Frank&Earnest
27th September 2007, 12:11 AM
:no: :no: :no:
How did you manage to see the pictures?

We saw them a while ago, before they were taken off. Somebody could also have saved them on their computer (even unintentionally, as OGYT said, but it would be unfair, possibly illegal, to publish them against the author's will. It could, and it has, been argued that my sketch, although legal, was a bit unfair to him, even if it was ment as a homage, for which I apologised and asked that it be removed if deemed inappropriate.

And again, Hughie and everybody else, at the cost of repeating myself and appearing rude, patenting has nothing to do with this, anybody who is not a complete idiot could replicate the item after seeing it once, it is a frigging clamp bolted to a post! It has become bigger than life because of the emotions involved. Hope I am not contributing to reviving them.