PDA

View Full Version : Coolibah Burl Bowl - Pic

Lumber Bunker
28th August 2007, 08:45 PM
Hey guys,

I started this bowl about a year ago, and finially today got around to rechucking it and hollowed it out.
I hate turning burl! - But i like the results.
A bit like my sharpening moto, I hate sharpening but i love sharp tools, so i put up with it!

Enjoy.

Steve.

DJ’s Timber
28th August 2007, 10:03 PM
Nice one Steve :2tsup:, if burl turning is a prob for you, you can send them down to me :U

ss_11000
28th August 2007, 10:48 PM
Nice work Steve. :clap:

Caveman
28th August 2007, 11:25 PM
Nice work Steve - never had a chance to turn a burl. Would love to try, but only ever seen one tree with burls on over here - it is in the middle town in the central reserve of a highway! Can't see myself pulling over to harvest a burl or two and getting away with it unfortunately.

Lumber Bunker
28th August 2007, 11:47 PM
A couple of witches hats and a fluro vest and no one will even blink... Make it look offical and if any one asks, your cutting away the diseased section to keep the tree healthy! ;)

BANNED
29th August 2007, 01:35 AM
Hi Lumber Bunker,

I like that burl you turned, I don't remember to have ever since that timber blueprint.

"Make it look offical and if any one asks, your cutting away the diseased section to keep the tree healthy! ;)", You know, it worked for me some time ago, indeed I was asked to perform some time later, similar "treatment" on one of this persons friends property...!:oo:
I have since then moved away, and I haven't offer that sort of treatment, to anyone locally, YET!:D

Cheers
GV

Sebastiaan56
29th August 2007, 08:37 AM
Beautiful burl, beautiful bowl. You dont seem to have gone the ultra gloss finish Steve, may I ask why?

I dont mind giving burls a burl (sorry....) sharp scraper and patience. They beat Black Heart Sassafras.......

Sebastiaan

Simomatra
29th August 2007, 08:56 AM
Nice one Steve do like the burl

Lumber Bunker
29th August 2007, 11:31 AM
I didn't go with the high gloss, ... I just went with some trad wax.
I was thinking about a gloss, but to do it right i would have had to fill some voids etc, but i just wasn't up for it at yesterday, The wax still has a very nice luster, and is great to touch.
As for the scraper... I did this with the bowl gouge and a parting tool to cut it off. and loads of sandpaper!

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm glad I can share.

Steve