PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw choice

macca2
21st September 2003, 04:20 PM
I have read all the threads on this subject over the last few months and have come to the conclusion that I should buy a 14" saw at the outset instead of the 10" I was looking at.

Having decide that, I am now confused at the array of 14" bandsaws available at a reasonable price.

As I live in Perth I can look at the models held by both Carbatec and Timbecon.

My questions are.

Is it necessary to have more than a single speed.

How important is all-bearing blade guides as opposed to guide blocks.

Thanks in advance
Macca

alf t
21st September 2003, 09:21 PM
Macca,
If you are only cutting wood you really only need a single speed.

When you talk guide blocks , bearing guides are good but the bottom guide can be just as efficient if it is a guide block type.

You will probably find that you can have a choice of both with the same manufacturer, one at timbercon and the other at carbatec

Alf

Dean
22nd September 2003, 09:28 AM
Start with looking at the SW-1401 clones at both Carbatec and Timbecon. They go for around $400-$500.
If you dont like the look of those, and have extra money to spend, look for something a little bigger and beefier :)

derekcohen
22nd September 2003, 10:23 PM
Macca2

I won't bore all by repeating myself, but you should read the following thread if you are looking for a 14" bandsaw.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5244

Since I'm also in Perth, you're welcome to have a look at my setup in my workshop, if you're interested.

Regards

Derek

macca2
23rd September 2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks to all for your replies and info. I am still going through the "what do I need, to do what I want stage".

I have a spinal problem and need to sit on a stool to work at my lathe and other machines, and because all the 14" saws come on a built in stand the height could be a problem.

At first I was going for the Carbatec BAS 250 which comes without a stand and I could build one to suit my needs. However the opinion from my previous queeries re this saw brought negative replies.

Is this 10" saw realy too small to be considered.

It seems that choosing a bandsaw has been a challenge to a large number of people. But then I guess we all have differing needs and budgets.

Thanks for the invite Derek and the interesting reminder of previous threads.

Thanks again

Macca

Dean
23rd September 2003, 02:46 PM
Anything under 14" is not worth having. Almost every response I have ever read on forums/newsgroups etc about 9" and 10" bandsaws are negative. Even the Delta 9" bandsaw gets a hammering everywhere.

gatiep
23rd September 2003, 04:39 PM
Macca2

Following the others, a bandsaw smaller than 14" is really for modelmakers.

Your question about the saws on the base, Carbatec list two saws that could be taken off their base easily.

1) The SBW-3502D1 , page 41 of their catalogue has a direct drive motor, so you can even mount it on the floor if you like.

2) The BS-1400 has a motor which is mounted next to the spine side of the saw at base height. Again you can use the top of their base minus the legs to make mounting on whatever you fancy very easy. Page 40.

I am also in Perth and your'e welcome to email or pm me.

Have fun..............keep turning

PS. Where there is a problem there is always a solution, problem is usually finding the solution.................this BB is the place to find solutions. Thanks Neil this BB is invaluable to us all.

macca2
24th September 2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks all.

I am still adding up the pros and cons and will eventually come to a decision.

Macca

Daniel
25th September 2003, 01:27 AM
I was at C+S saw services in Glen Waverly a few months ago, they make band saw blades.

In general conversation they said do not by any bandsaw under 12 inches, exactly why I can't remember.

This is probably why the 14 inch units are the go. Maybe too many blade related problems with the smaller ones.

Daniel

gatiep
25th September 2003, 03:24 AM
Daniel

The reason is that wheels smaller than the 14" saws, including the 3 wheelers just flex/bend the blade too tight around the small radius of the wheels which weakens them. The result is premature blade failure.

It is generally accepted that 14" is the minimum size wheel to get economical blade endurance.

Have fun.................keep turning