PDA

View Full Version : What Timber??

Bruce101
30th August 2007, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

I have recently obtained some timber which allegedly came from Jindabyne prior to flooding for the lake. It is said to be Walnut, but I am unable to find any similar timber with colour or pattern in timber links.

I would appreciate it if anyone could either varify that it is walnut or suggest what type it is. This timber is quite soft and is a pleasure to turn as it just peals away from the chisel with an absolute minimum of pressure.

Any assistance in its identification is appreciated.

Ta all.

:?

BANNED
30th August 2007, 02:24 AM
Hi Bruce,
I like your recently turned box, but I don't recognise the timber log, you made it from. I thought that Walnut was a darker colour, the grain and the easy to work part, it would suggest to be some sort of Oak.
Don't worry, I'm have asked the same question in this forum, a couple of times, and I reckon more will follow.
Someone will answer, or at least give you couple of possibilities.

Cheers
GV

ubeaut
30th August 2007, 09:52 AM
Looks like walnut to me. If so it will have a pretty distinct, quite nice, almost leathery, sort of odor. There are a lot of different colours in walnut ranging from pale cream through to almost black, depending on the tree and the area in which it's grown etc. They all seem to have that distinctive walnut odor though

Usually it's on the softish side and easy to turn. However some of the local stuff can be really bloody obnoxious and extremely hard on the tools as some of it is imbedded with some sort of silica or something similar. Have come across this a couple of times usually in Qld walnut.

Sorry nyodine but it's definitely not an oak of any sort.

Cheers - Neil :)

DJ’s Timber
30th August 2007, 12:46 PM
I would agree with Neil, looks like a ringer for some walnut I used to make some Salt & Pepper Grinders. It is soft and turns beautifully, just peels away as you said and you can get a good finish straight off the tool.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36881

ticklingmedusa
30th August 2007, 03:03 PM
"Looks like walnut to me. If so it will have a pretty distinct, quite nice, almost leathery, sort of odor. There are a lot of different colours in walnut ranging from pale cream through to almost black, depending on the tree and the area in which it's grown etc. They all seem to have that distinctive walnut odor though"

I'm with Neil on this one. Walnut is variable in colour and has a distinct aroma. Nice work Bruce.
tm

Richard Findley
31st August 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

Over here in the UK we get 3 types of Walnut:

English, which is mid brown with grey-ish patches/streaks and pale sapwood

American Black, which is much darker and usually a bit plainer in appearance.

Claro, which is when English is grafted onto American to get better fruit yealds. The 2 species don't like each other much and the figuring you get is fantastic! Lots of different shades of browns in streaks and patches.

All are much darker than your picture but the working properties and smell etc are all as described.

There is another timber from the US called Butternut, which is a related species and is often called "White Walnut". It's used a lot in carving but I've never used it.

I don't know what sorts you guys have down there in Oz but I hope the above helps:2tsup: !

Cheers,

Richard

Ianab
31st August 2007, 12:34 PM
I've cut some Chinese walnut (Juglans mandschurica) that looks very similar to that, much lighter than American black walnut.

Seems to work and finish well etc, but the trees just dont grow in a good form, lots of branching and it's hard to find a good saw log. Would make good turning blanks though, lots of crotches and curly stuff.

Cheers

Ian

Bruce101
1st September 2007, 11:33 AM
It seems that the general opinion, and my original info from the sawmill, is that the material is Walnut so I think I'll go with that.

I very much appreciate responses from you all. Many thanks.:2tsup:

For those interested I have included the finished box. I have used Shellawax GLO for the finishing coat and I think it has helped bring out the grain a little (with a little added mulga).

Also as I really love the finished effect of Mulga I have included a desk I have just completed today as a variation from my pen turning.

Many thanks all.

Take care.

Tornatus
1st September 2007, 02:10 PM
Also as I really love the finished effect of Mulga I have included a desk I have just completed today as a variation from my pen turning.

Ripper, Bruce! I love that contrast between heartwood & sapwood that is characteristic of many of the arid country timbers, but is particularly pronounced in Mulga. I've been thinking of expanding beyond pens to matching desk sets, and you've provided definite inspiration. :clap:

Hickory
1st September 2007, 02:20 PM
Every stick of furniture in my house is Walnut. I knows it well and I vote a Hearty Aye for Walnut, Although not deep dark color that some would call Walnut, Walnut comes in an array of colors, but I would look closely at the grain and the smell. Weather English Walnut lighter in color, or Black Walnut, depending on the soil minerals and water content has a good deal with the color. Iron rich soil has a dark color and a hint of Purple, whilst a Lime strong soil has the lighter color.

rsser
2nd September 2007, 08:31 AM
An earlier thread on walnut contained the observation that in Oz only the larger trees have the darker colour. I'm assuming that we're talking about the domestic plantings of nut trees and if this piece came from Jindabyne it may well have been at a farmhouse.

There are commercial plantings up in the sub-alpine valleys ... Dargo, Ovens etc. ... it would be interesting to know what they look like when cut.

TTIT
3rd September 2007, 12:34 AM
It seems that the general opinion, and my original info from the sawmill, is that the material is Walnut so I think I'll go with that.

After looking at the new pic of your lidded box I'd have to agree on the Walnut bit - but Qld Walnut as Neil suggested. Had the same stuff for this dish (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43589&highlight=walnut) a while back. 'Orrible stuff!:C

Love the desk-set Bruce :2tsup: - you've given me a whole heap of ideas for all the different desert woods I've got here - like I haven't got enough to do:doh: