PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

Woodchuck
22nd September 2003, 07:44 AM
Hi, I'm new to turning & just after a little bit of help please.
I can't seem to find anywhere in Adelaide that sells "round" turning blanks, have seen pleanty in woodworking mags & some online but can't seem to find any local. (I've no chainsaw or bandsaw).
& I've read a few different ways of turning bowls, should I get a chuck or is it just as easy/good to glue them or to make a recess the same size as the spigot on a spare bit of timber & wedge the bowls spigot into it ?

Thanks for any help or ideas you can throw my way :c)

Neil
22nd September 2003, 08:45 AM
Try LEDA MACHINERY - 159 Richmond Rd Ph: 08 8234 1577. Ask for David Tulloch if Leda don't have any he will or will be able to tell you where to get some.

It is much easier to get a chuck for your bowls and in the long run a good deal safer.

Cheers - Neil http://www.ubeaut.biz/wave.gif

Spike
23rd September 2003, 12:16 AM
Go down to MIK International 27 Magill Road, Stepney. They have plenty of "Rounds" you can turn. Plus all the tools you need for woodturning. Very friendly staff as well.

Cheers
Spike

Woodchuck
23rd September 2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks heaps guys, Leda said they didn't have any for about another month or 2 but Mik said they have some. So I'm off to get busy trying my first go at turning...lol by end of week I should have a enough matches to open a factory.

Spike
23rd September 2003, 06:05 PM
Woodchuck

While you are at MIKS you may like to purchase the book called "Woodturning A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

Mik also run beginners woodturning courses at very reasonable prices.

Good luck :)

Cheers
Spike

q9
24th September 2003, 01:32 AM
I'll second that book idea. Great book, will save a lot of time and effort and frustration.