PDA

View Full Version : pen with a difference

nine fingers
30th August 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm not a pen maker of the quality that is displayed on this site,but I want to know why pens have to have the ferrel between the two sections.
I tried an experiment today , as shown below, please express your opinions about what I done.
regards nine fingers.

nine fingers
30th August 2007, 06:47 PM
Where the b#$%YI photo got to
nine fingers

arose62
30th August 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing you've done a slimline, and eliminated the centreband, or made a custom one of your own??

Seems to be a fairly common step in the growth of pen turners.

Cheers,
Andrew
(waiting to see the pic)

nine fingers
30th August 2007, 07:21 PM
another try:2tsup:

madmix
30th August 2007, 08:29 PM
Howdy Fingers,
You have done a good job there and in pic the grain is well matched,
but when nib is in the grain alignment will really stand out, at least
thats my reasoning for the centre band.

cheers Mick

ss_11000
30th August 2007, 10:44 PM
to me, it just looks wierd, and not a good wierd either:no:

nice bit of turning and great finish though:2tsup:

karlkuehn
31st August 2007, 08:30 AM
Heya fingers!

Way to think outside the box, keep it up! I like the fit and finish. I've often thought the same as you - eliminating the centerband really opens up the possibilities and doesn't restrict you to making wasp-waisted slims. I've had pretty good luck wire burning details that emulate the centerband and disguise some of the grain offset.

Nice job on the pen!

lubbing5cherubs
31st August 2007, 08:55 AM
Karl you can also add a highlight timber in by parting off the small portion of the bottom pen. Make the top only slightly larger. Slimlines are very versatile this is another idea
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27667
slimline are fun though they is no real limit to them
bye Toni

karlkuehn
31st August 2007, 10:07 AM
Ahhh, thanks Toni!

I hadn't thought about parting off the existing tube, I've been making centerband width slices and gluing them on . Your way seems a lot easier as you don't have to worry about lining up the tubes at glue time

Good on ya!

:U

PenTurner
31st August 2007, 11:29 AM
Hello Fingers, welcome, hope you are having a good day. Keep experimenting, you have done well, usually we all differ in our preferences but appreciate each others skill and individualality. If we like we tell you, and if we don't we still tell you(in a nice way of course!), now show us more of what you have done, so we can all continue to learn, Amos