PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah benchtop finish

Darryn
22nd July 2001, 06:13 PM
Hi All
I am in the process of making some jarrah benchtops for our kitchen. I would like some advice on the best type of finsih to use. I do not really like the plastic looking high gloss finishes, but it does need to be durable and reasonably moisture resistant as the sink will be fitted into the benchtop.

Thanks if you can help

Darryn

S Hayward
28th July 2001, 03:59 PM
Hi Darryn
I don't like plastic finishes much at all. There is a misconception they are more durable, particularly two part types, than other finishes. Depends on your definition of durable. I have used Organoil Hardburnishing Oil on our working display kitchen with Red Gum tops. Great success. It repells water very well, is easy to wipe clean, can be touched up with ease and hides most little marks and scratches. Poly coatings, although very tough, will mark and scratch and are much harder to repair. Further, if there is a break in the finish water will work its way in causing all sorts of problems.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Regards
Shaun.

Darryn
28th July 2001, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that info, I actually did consider using an oil finish and have used the hard burnishing oil on my woodturnings before. Unfortunately I am unable to proceed with my project at the moment :-(

I have all of this beautiful timebr I need machined but do not have my own buzzer and thicknesser. The prices I have been quoted to get the timber machined comercially do not make it a feasible project for me.

Maybe in my next house I will be able to have another go, when I get my own machinery

Thanks anyway

Darryn

AlexS
28th July 2001, 06:20 PM
Darryn,
If you're in Sydney, you could try Hendermans at Balmain, they charge you by the hour to use their machines. Expert advice is on hand there to guide you if it's needed.

Darryn
28th July 2001, 08:59 PM
I saw their web site the other day and thought that it was great idea. But I am in Perth so I am bit too far away.

Do you have any idea of how much they charge per hour for the use of the machinery?

It might be a good idea for someone in Perth to start up

Darryn