PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt D27300 -XE Combination Planer Thicknesser

Burnsy
1st September 2007, 07:17 PM
I have been looking around at the different combination machines and have currently given up on my dreams of owning the Hammer unit. I have been looking at the Dewalt unit as it is made in Italy and appears well constructed. Has anyone here got one or used one and like to comment on it's performance and use in comparison to say the Carbatec AW106PT 10 inch combo (the Dewalt is $400 more in price)

Cheers,
Mike

Burnsy
1st September 2007, 11:51 PM
I see that Jet has a combo out in Aust too now. Not to much info on the forum here, or anywhere else on the web that I can find. Has anyone bought one and got any comments? I am interested to know how people rate these mid range combos in comparison to the base range, is the extra money worth it?

Tex79
15th September 2007, 11:58 PM
AWR reviewed the Jet in issue 54. It got quite a good write up and some very good feedback from reviewer, the only thing that let it down was the access to the tightening knobs on the back aluminium fence.
I had a look at one at the Adelaide wood show, beautiful piece of equipment. If only I could justify the $3000 at the moment.
MIK currently have them on special through their website.

Cheers,

Evan

Pops
16th September 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Burnsy,

I've got a Dewalt combination, not sure of the model no. though, (am not near the machine right now). It has a 10 inch blade, 2 hp motor, aluminium tables and fence. So not a cast iron jobby like the Carbatec and Jet.

Have done 6 x 3 oregon on it no problems. In fact that is what I bought it for, to make some door / window frames. Did get some snipe though, but probably id not have it set up well at the time.

Will handle 4 x 2 jarrah but would not like to put say an 8 x 4 jarrah through the thicknesser though, might be a pushing it a bit, never tried though either.

Nice little unit really. Don't know how it compares to the model you mention. Mine could sit on a low bench and I can just lift it, just, can't walk with it of course.

Have it fixed to a frame, like a wide saw horse, bees knees.

You are welcome to borrow it for a while for a test drive if you want. PM me if interested. Else best of luck with your decision making, there is a choice these days compared to 10 years ago when I got my Dewalt.

Cheers
Pops

Burnsy
16th September 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Pops, I think I know the model you have, they don't seem to have made to many changes over the last ten years. I have put buying one on the backburner at the moment, but am still reading up so I am ready when I find the money. At this stage I am leaning to a Jet as a minimum and would like to be able to stretch myself to a European one if I can, maybe even three phase. I figure I would like to buy quality once and hope it lasts me the next 20 years if possible.

Cheers,
Mike

Pops
17th September 2007, 09:30 AM
Good move Burnsy. I reckon for the same price of a new Jet you might even pick up a good second hand 3 phase machine. Heavy old cast iron that can take a bump is very handy.

Best of luck mate. Of course we will be looking out for photos when you do get the job done.

Cheers
Pops

knucklehead
1st November 2007, 09:34 AM
Burnsy, I have also been trying to justify the $3000 for the Jet 310 combo machine.
But yesterday I was in Gregory's and they had a smaller model (260) for $1700. The machine looks almost identical to its bigger brother.

Unfortunately I only link I can find is for the UK http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/6/product-Jet-JPT-260-Planer-Thicknesser-603785.htm

The Jet web site still only lists the larger model.