PDA

View Full Version : Ratio of views to replies

3Landerblue
23rd September 2003, 08:46 PM
One thing that I have noticed with this forum is the large amount of views a post receives but very very low replies.

Is it that woodworkers don't like to share their knowledge?
There is a 4WD forum that I frequent and the help that you receive there is amazing compared to this forum.

Oh well

3Landerblue
23rd September 2003, 08:50 PM
If you don't believe, me then click on any forum on this website and look at the huge amount of views a post has received compared to a reply.:confused:

Dan
23rd September 2003, 09:31 PM
I believe you, though I think if someone has any comment to make on a particular thread then they generally make it, I hope. Not much point getting 20 replies if none of them are going to help with a specific problem. Although posting a question and getting zero replies can be a bit annoying(?), at least you've asked and you can now implement plan "B".

Dan

fxst
23rd September 2003, 10:14 PM
I have found that on this BB with a couple of exceptions unless they can help they keep out of it rather than waste ur time reading useless answers
Unlike some of the forums I visit:confused:confused:

Wood Borer
24th September 2003, 09:09 AM
What is counted as a view?

If a visitor looks at a thread, is that counted as a view?

- Wood Borer

craigb
24th September 2003, 10:23 AM
That would be my understanding.
I also think that there a lot of lurkers on this board. If you look at the number of visitors compared to users logged on, it's usually much higher.

But I agree that unless you can make a useful contribution to a thread it's better not to post.

Craig

DaveInOz
24th September 2003, 10:41 AM
If I have some idea I often still wait for an expert to answer rather than risk giving bad advice, there are a number of experts on this BB in various fields.
If after a while no one has given expert advise I will chip in with small ideas and big warnings

It is different when looking for a point of view rather than an answer.
Answers belong to the most expert, opinions, on the other hand, are like arses, everyone has one.

rufazguts
24th September 2003, 06:48 PM
Doorstop, what a load of dingo droppings! I happen to know that you are a member of your local fore wheel drive club and I also know that you are not exactly backward in coming forward when it comes to blathering a bit of the blarney and not only that but you are full of IT .

3Landerblue
24th September 2003, 06:52 PM
Hey Doorstop,
I'm a traditionalist that's why I drive the worlds best 4wd a Land Rover Defender.

:) cheers 3LB

Sturdee
24th September 2003, 07:48 PM
As I am reading this there are 9 replies and 170 views.

Normally I would not have replied and become another anonymous view as four others have already said what I would have said.

However to please you I passed on my two cents worth.

Regards,

Peter

macca2
24th September 2003, 10:50 PM
I don't care if it is an answer, a view, an opinion or just someones 2 cents worth. It is all interesting and either helpful or humorous.

You choose

Macca

Dod
24th September 2003, 10:57 PM
I have often wondered just what a "view" is anyway?

Regards
Dod

gatiep
25th September 2003, 01:04 AM
I think that a lot of people view a thread, have nothing to offer, or nothing that someone else has not offered already. Then in a day or two, the thread is at the top of the page due to a response from someone. Now if I look at it again to see what transpired, it counts me as another view. It doesn't only take 'new comers' to the thread as 'Views'.

Lets look at figures. A posts and B replies.........that would be at least two posts. A replies and B just reads it but doesn't offer a reply. That is 1 view. Now the thread goes on, every day one person posts a reply, yet all the ones that have already posted a reply, check on the thread daily without posting a new reply. Each of these are a View..........it just multiplies daily. A lot of guys may not offer a reply at all but follow the thread daily...I know I do that often........I may not have anything constructive to offer.....but I am interested in the replies because through them I acquire knowledge/info and that is really the purpose of a b/b like this.

BUT

Have fun................keep turning

ozwinner
25th September 2003, 05:40 PM
Just to get the rateing up......
Ha.......ha

:p :p :p

Johnno
25th September 2003, 06:15 PM
I've gotta get in on this one, just to swell the numbers (I get funny images there...)

I 'read' this BB daily, using the 'new posts' facility - very handy - so I guess I 'view' or lurk a lot. Every now and then I get an urge (siddown woman) and bung in a reply when I think I can add something useful or maybe funny to the conversation - that process used to be called 'social intercourse', but I think that has another meaning now!

BTW, I often drive my wife's Subaru Liberty wagon - now that's a real 4WD!

Johhno2

Iain
26th September 2003, 08:39 AM
Being the proud owner of a 80 series, real, reliable 4WD, I have no need of a 'help me' BB for parts or breakdowns :D

Eastie
26th September 2003, 10:32 AM
Iain, nice vehicle. Not that you ever would, but say you got caught out helping a poor old broken down sod in a land rover and god forbid the cruiser got bogged or threw a shoe you could give me a yell. No matter where in Australia I could strap my little 78 cruiser ute to my backside and within 40 hours give or take a couple of minutes be lending you a hand to get back on the road. So long as you provide the cuppa and a biscuit I’d be only to happy to help. I’d have to give you the speech about trying to help a land rover driver though – look at your owners manual! Never stop for a land rover driver, not even half way along the gibb river road. Just slow down, smile and offer a pleasantry like “nice day we’re having bloke – looks like you’ll be enjoying it here for a while” and keep you’re 80 rolling. Metaphorically speaking it would be like stopping to help a rabbit you’ve run over on the road. There may be some life left in it but really there is nothing you can do to help other than to give it a quick flick while holding onto it’s ears – exactly what you’d end up feeling like doing to the land rover driver (you could just smile and visualise it though :D ).

Is that how it goes in the 4wd fourms? Am I in a 4wd forum? Will I be able to drive my 4wd in heaven?

Was there a question? I hope this helps?
-------------------------
BTW: I wasn’t going to respond to this thread until I could add something totally meaningless and useless. I will now lurk in the background and raise the “views” rating.

fxst
26th September 2003, 10:12 PM
and I can help out as well with my 76 cruiser ute just to keep me occupied.:D
Yep you're in a 4wd forum. Its the 'Help the drivers of dinosaurs to stay out of trouble'
Landcruisers dont have problems its left to the others

3Landerblue
30th September 2003, 06:01 AM
Fumes from varnish,
Didn't you pair read that thread?;)

Eastie
1st October 2003, 12:00 PM
Mr 3,
And for all this time to think I've been sniffing pva, which to date has left my eyes and nose sore, red and itchy. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I'll take you're tip and start sniffing varnish instead, the glue sniffing really wasn't working for me.

Anyhow,
So far the tally is 19 (now 20) replies to around 540 views.
That makes it about 1:27 (replies : views)
I expect that each person who replies will most likely come back from time to time to see how the thread progresses, thus some people who reply might view it say 10-20 times.
Lets say that only people who posted into this thread actually bothered to open it (which is not the case as people have confessed). With the square root of 540 being about 23, it is a possibility (a somewhat ridiculous possibility - but a possibility all the same) the majority of the 19 who have replied have visited on numerous occasions creating the bulk of the “views”, whilst the other visitors/members are off choosing other offerings that tickle their fancy.

Just a thought.

colh
1st October 2003, 02:21 PM
Eastie, that's not a thought - that's a treatise. And just to add to the numbers, I've probably viewed this thread 8 to 10 times, but only posted to it this once.

Of course, ultimately the answer is 42.

Colin

fxst
2nd October 2003, 01:29 AM
but then only the white mice would know for sure:confused:

Iain
2nd October 2003, 07:55 AM
What was the question?

colh
2nd October 2003, 10:01 AM
that's what the mice were trying to find out.

perksyaus
2nd October 2003, 10:16 AM
I know in my case I am extremely new to the forum / and woodwork in general and don't have anything of value to add. In saying this I love this forum, and when I get enough moola I intend to expand my very small range of tools and start getting my hands dirty.....

JackoH
7th October 2003, 09:18 AM
:confused:

DaveInOz
8th October 2003, 11:18 AM
Doorstop, stop trying to think so much, indeed at all, you know it only confuses you.
Remember a scratched head gathers no folicles

JackoH
8th October 2003, 06:31 PM
You also get splinters under your fingernailshttp://www.ubeaut.biz/offwall.gif.
I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Ltd., and I love it. So There!http://www.ubeaut.biz/shout.gif

Woodgrub
10th October 2003, 12:46 AM
My View... :o

From Word Web http://wordweb.info/free/
A nifty little FREE Dictionary

Noun: view vyoo
1. A way of regarding situations or topics etc.
2. The visual percept of a region
3. The act of looking or seeing or observing
4. The range of the eye
5. A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty
6. A message expressing a belief about something
7. The phrase"with a view to" means"with the intention of"
8. Graphic art consisting of the graphic or photographic representation of a visual percept
9. The range of interest or activity that can be anticipated
10. Outward appearance

Verb: view vyoo
1. Consider or deem to be; regard
2. Look at carefully; study mentally
3. See or watch

:D :) :D

Corunetes
16th October 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 3Landerblue
Hey Doorstop,
I'm a traditionalist that's why I drive the worlds best 4wd a Land Rover Defender.

:) cheers 3LB

Defender is snail bait isn't it?

echnidna
30th November 2003, 06:23 PM
3Landerblue
Theres plenty of posts that are friendly discussion and these are great but the tech posts can become hard to glean info from if they turn into waffle. (and I get into waffle too)

As a retired pro woodworker I see a bit of tripe about technical matters from amateurs but some are so adamant that their way is the only way to skin a cat that I really couldnt be bothered getting into the thread.

So many of us just lurk unless we can make a worthwhile comment. Some of my other groups have so much social chat that they can be hardgoing at times.

Like all online groups you just have to spend the time to look through all of the archives and ask questions. We have a good bunch here and usually you will usually get an answer.

glenn k
30th November 2003, 08:57 PM
Gatiep you are right. Normally I wouldn't reply but it doen't matter if this one is full of dribble.

Iain
2nd December 2003, 07:08 PM
Heres another rsponse to bugger up you stats:D
and buying another BMW Z3 to take 20 years off my life, yes, midlife crisis, but who gives a stuff!

ozwinner
2nd December 2003, 07:52 PM
Come pick me up and giza drive.:D