PDA

View Full Version : Shed roofing - ridge capping

Vernonv
3rd September 2007, 11:31 AM
Hi All,
This may be a stupid question:rolleyes: , but I would just like to make sure that I do things "properly".

When securing roof sheeting, do you secure the sheet to all purlins, including the top one (the one under where the ridge capping will go) BEFORE putting the ridge capping on ...

OR

Do you only secure the roof sheet to all purlins EXCEPT the top one - it will be secured when the ridge capping goes on???

Any advice appreciated.

DJ’s Timber
3rd September 2007, 11:46 AM
Do you only secure the roof sheet to all purlins EXCEPT the top one - it will be secured when the ridge capping goes on???

Is the only way to do it, because if you secure the top row first then put the capping on the screws will lift the capping and will look funny not to mention ineffective

Jacksin
3rd September 2007, 11:49 AM
I have always used the latter method so the capping sits nice and tight to the roofing iron, and avoiding it being held up by the screw heads.

dennford
3rd September 2007, 12:48 PM
If you go to the bluescope (lysaght) site http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/building-products/roofing

you can go to whatever profile sheeting you wish and download a pdf giving full gixing details - it's a site I used when building my shed.

Denn

Vernonv
4th September 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find anywhere where it explicitly says the "proper" way to do it - even in Bluescope's roofing and walling manual (which I had already downloaded and looked at - still full of good info though and a must the read if you are doing any roofing or walling).

Thanks again everyone.

Yonnee
10th September 2007, 04:06 PM
Just a side note, if you want to secure the sheet before the ridge cap goes on, (depends on your time frame) you can put a screw in the valley of the overlap. It will be hidden and weather protected by the ridge cap.