PDA

View Full Version : Infloor Storage

antman
24th September 2003, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

As is always the case we have run out of space for storing things like blankets etc and I was trying to come up with a new method that didn't invlove my shed!

We have a house that is off the ground by a metre or so, so I thought I might be able to build a box into the floor of some cupboards. This could be accessed through a false floor or trapdoor and could house stuff that doesn't get much use.

Has anybody done anything like this before? Are there any things to look out for (apart from Red backs?)?

Ideas welcomed...
Anthony

q9
24th September 2003, 02:35 PM
The Japanese do this.

Might be one of those things that would have been easier to design in than retro fit. But if you do, it would certainly be an efficient use of otherwise wasted space.

Zed
24th September 2003, 02:35 PM
have you heard about those plastic bags that you put stuff in then suck the air out of with a vacuum cleaner ? evidently they reduce bulk to about 1/3 of the size. available from dj's or gb's etc... they seem to work ok.

otherwise just make sure your cabinet is airtight or sealed fro the elements and off the earth below I suppose, - make it from cedar so the bugs wont eat it ???

make it big enought to climb into.

put in a ladder.

install some shelves.

provide some power.

install some dust extraction.

install some WW gear

put in a lock so the missus cant get to it and fill it with stuff.

secret entrance via the garage with connecting vacuum beer delivery sytem direct from fridge,

install a microwave, tv and loo.

perfect wood shop!

craigb
24th September 2003, 03:16 PM
Hey Zed,
You forgot the calendar :D

antman
24th September 2003, 06:29 PM
Now Zed, you are just being silly. :D Why put a vacuum beer deliverer from the fridge when you could just have it on tap??

So, 1 Keg lifter to add to the list...

Cheers
Anthony

Zed
25th September 2003, 09:22 AM
any home renovator worth his salt already has a step climbing trolley for moving SWMBO's frigging plants. therefore a keg trolley is redundant and therefore not required.

although a keg has merits - so scrap the keg trolley and add an ice machine for the beer pipes and a sink for cleaning the glasses.:p

I suppose a few chairs for the mates who will no doubt drop in..

I think I may start a new thread on the "perfect workshop" in the "silly section" of this forum

rufazguts
25th September 2003, 09:51 AM
The 'silly' section of this forum happens to be whichever bit I'm in .... so get on with it!

What about the telly? According to a forumite here , who would normally remain nameless(Whiskers!), recently upgraded his workshop telly:rolleyes:

A remote security camera focused on the front door of the house so one could remain in hiding should the rellies arrive???

Iain
26th September 2003, 09:00 AM
Telly, bloody Telly be buggered, a 150cm plasma with 5.1 surround, shake the spiders out of the rafters;)

Fantapantz
5th October 2003, 02:01 AM
Pool table and a dart-board.

Fantapantz
6th October 2003, 08:53 AM
On a serious note........Check the position of the joists and bearers before you make any huge plans.....they might be under your cupboards making the space hard to get to................Personally I would staple some sarking around them when finished..........

cx3
14th October 2003, 03:39 PM
Ant

hope this info is useful

this design is getting very popular around my area in Singapore

the depth of 1m will be a bit too deep to maintain the cleanliness and small items maybe hard to retrieve later.

we normally do a 1.5' or 2' depth raised platform that cover half a room. the partitions for each compartment will actuaclly be the supporting skeletal framework of the platform. the cover for each compartment is hinged and normally made of plywood (for the considerable amount of weight acting on it.