PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Mk2

Woodlee
4th September 2007, 07:54 PM
Just recieved my Veritas Mk2 Honing Jig today .Hope to give it a workout on the weekend .
I have quite a few chisels and plane irons to get up to scratch .

Bought it from Carbatec Brisbane , included in the airbag was the latest cattledog ,my wallet has been sweating all day.

Kev

fletty
4th September 2007, 08:53 PM
Enjoy it Kev, it's a great little tool!
Fletty

Woodlee
4th September 2007, 09:47 PM
Enjoy it Kev, it's a great little tool!
Fletty

Certainly a big improvement on my elcheapo copy of the old Stanley one $16.00.
Not having used it but just reading the booklet that comes with it ,it looks to be well thought out ,and engineered allowing many different angles to be used on planes and chisels .
I think I will be getting the curved roller for it at a later date.
Initially I called Carbatec to buy a flush cut saw to cut the protruding dovetails from my bench face boards ,but they didnt have any in stock , I thought I had to buy some thing so the next item on the want list was the honing guide.I have the saw on back order so just have to wait for that.

Kev

sundancewfs
5th September 2007, 08:10 AM
I use mine on a granite plate with wet-n-dry and it works great! I like the ease of setting angles.

Woodlee
5th September 2007, 10:36 PM
I use mine on a granite plate with wet-n-dry and it works great! I like the ease of setting angles.

Ive been pestering the local glazier for some 10mm plate glass off cuts ,I havent been back to see if he has come good .Failing that Ill be visiting a place in Darwin next time Im up there that cuts granite bench tops for an off cut or broken piece or two.

rsser
6th September 2007, 01:12 PM
Woodlee, with a little practice you can round off the corners of jack plane irons with the std roller; saves a few bucks.

kman-oz
7th September 2007, 11:57 AM
Woodlee, with a little practice you can round off the corners of jack plane irons with the std roller; saves a few bucks.

Indeed. I've found that reshaping with sandpaper on glass to round the edge is very easy with a layer or two of 80g paper under one edge of the roller, then the other. Once you have the basic shape just varying the position of pressure when honing on sandpaper or stones isn't hard at all.

You don't need a huge thick sheet of glass either. I've glued a 12" x 15" sheet of 6mm glass to an MDF base with great results. Used this for flattening the soles of small planes too.

rsser
7th September 2007, 01:22 PM
Freehand works fine too; doesn't take much to roll the unit slightly onto the roller edge.

kman-oz
7th September 2007, 01:49 PM
Once I've got the blade shaped properly I do all the actually sharpening by shifting the pressure, like you say. Initially I had quite a few second hand plane irons to re-shape and I found that I could more consistantly get the shape right with some paper under the roller. After which time it was really simple to see if I'd made the micro-bevels the correct depth also.

Horses for courses I think.

rsser
7th September 2007, 03:06 PM
Yep.

Equine flu excepted ;-}

Woodlee
7th September 2007, 07:38 PM
Yep.

Equine flu excepted ;-}

hahahahahaha too funny Ern

Thanks for the tips guys.

Kev