PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Jig Purchase

Carry Pine
4th September 2007, 09:51 PM
It is approaching 3 months since I ordered and paid for a Leigh D4R jig at the Sydney WWW Show and, quite frankly I believe I am being given the run around.
Before I do anything else I would like to get my facts straight.
Would you please PM me if:
* You purchased a D4R jig at the Sydney WWW Show from a 3-letter company and have had it delivered, or
* You purchased a D4R jig at the Adelaide WWW Show from a 3-letter company and have had it delivered, or
* You have purchased a D4R jig since 15 June 2007 and have had it delivered.

On the other hand, if you are in my position and have paid in advance and have waited almost 3 months, please PM me also.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Carry Pine

Carry Pine
4th September 2007, 10:18 PM
PS The 3-letter company refered to is NOT VEK!

Carry Pine

I_wanna_Shed
4th September 2007, 10:39 PM
Carry,

A quarter of a year wait for something you have paid for is pathetic - especially when you consider (from what I can gather from other posts) you have had minimal feedback from the supplier in regards to why the delay is occurring, and most importantly, when it can be resolved!

So you can order a customised Honda/Ford/Toyota vehicle and have it in 8 weeks, but M** can't have a piece of equipment to you in anywhere near that time?

I know that the discount you got at the time looked great, but I'm sure you perhaps would have preferred to have the jig in your hands by now!

This weekend I'm off to the Canberra show - mainly to see the Leigh and Gifkins jigs in action. This is swaying my purchasing decision...

I'm hoping you receive the jig soon with no more stuffing around.

3 months - no company should give a run around like that without a decent excuse. Even I know that, and I work for a Wesfarmers division (gee, and hasn't that company been mentioned on here recently!)!.

Cheers,
Nathan.

EDIT: Its not the B******* division!

Big Shed
4th September 2007, 10:43 PM
Have you considered asking for your money back? Or was the price you paid so good that isn't an option.

If they can't supply, then what is their excuse?

Have they offered a refund?

I would have thought that M*K was a reputable company, I certainly have never had a problem with them.

lesmeyer
4th September 2007, 11:05 PM
It is approaching 3 months since I ordered and paid for a Leigh D4R jig at the Sydney WWW Show and, quite frankly I believe I am being given the run around.
Before I do anything else I would like to get my facts straight.
Would you please PM me if:
* You purchased a D4R jig at the Sydney WWW Show from a 3-letter company and have had it delivered, or
* You purchased a D4R jig at the Adelaide WWW Show from a 3-letter company and have had it delivered, or
* You have purchased a D4R jig since 15 June 2007 and have had it delivered.

On the other hand, if you are in my position and have paid in advance and have waited almost 3 months, please PM me also.

Carry Pine
Graham,
read the PM sent.
Les

johnc
4th September 2007, 11:13 PM
Around three years ago I bought the Leigh D4R from the same company and delivery was slow taking over three months. They did keep in contact and threw in a couple of free bits to compensate for the delay. When the jig arrived a couple of bolts had gone AWOL and a phone call saw the missing bits arrive next mail. Except for slow delivery I have no complaints.
Not quite the answer you are seeking and I hope the jig arrives soon.
John.

lesmeyer
4th September 2007, 11:53 PM
Around three years ago I bought the Leigh D4R from the same company and delivery was slow taking over three months. They did keep in contact and threw in a couple of free bits to compensate for the delay. When the jig arrived a couple of bolts had gone AWOL and a phone call saw the missing bits arrive next mail. Except for slow delivery I have no complaints.
Not quite the answer you are seeking and I hope the jig arrives soon.
John.
John,
good to see you got it in time for your birthday.
Happy birthday for today.:2tsup:
Les

Carry Pine
5th September 2007, 08:54 PM
[quote=I_wanna_Shed;580961]

This weekend I'm off to the Canberra show - mainly to see the Leigh and Gifkins jigs in action. This is swaying my purchasing decision...

My guess is you will see the jig demonstrated but if you decide to buy one.... 'Sorry, we just sold the last one. But you can pay full price for one and we will deliver it within a month.'

Nathan, if there is a pile of them feel free to accept mine and save the company the postage.

Carry Pine

I_wanna_Shed
5th September 2007, 09:21 PM
Nathan, if there is a pile of them feel free to accept mine and save the company the postage.

Carry Pine

Hehe.... I'll do my best!

lesmeyer
10th September 2007, 10:36 PM
Guys,
The D4R is now selling for only $553 at a well known WW store in SA.
Get yours now while the going is good and while stocks last. :D
Les

mat
11th September 2007, 09:47 AM
But do they actually have stock or just take your money and you wait and wait.

lesmeyer
11th September 2007, 06:30 PM
But do they actually have stock or just take your money and you wait and wait.
You would have to phone them and ask. I am sure you will get an honest reply.
Les

dohboy
13th September 2007, 05:21 PM
Shop around........there is stock available at other suppliers.

If you dont like the service your are getting....let your money do the talking.

If you have paid 100% up front for a normally stocked item....something is wrong. No reputable operator would ask you to do that (at worst, maybe a small deposit to hold stock at a special price).

Demand your money back...

Jump on the phone / internet and order elsewhere (for immediate delivery - I would imagine)

Carry Pine
17th September 2007, 02:45 PM
The eagle has landed!!!!!

The Leigh D4 is in my hot little hands.

No really hoping for anything extra: quote 'They did keep in contact and threw in a couple of free bits to compensate for the delay.' johnc

But I do hope the adapter for the Makita is in the box!!

Carry Pine

lesmeyer
17th September 2007, 06:39 PM
Mr Pine, congratulations. I hope that you will put it to good use now that you have the baby.
Regards
Les

John Saxton
17th September 2007, 11:06 PM

Carry Pine

Glad to hear that you have finally laid hands on your Leigh jig but I'm surprised that they on sell it without a delivery date!!

Personally if I can't lay hands on at the show then....no sale if there's some serious $$$ involved.

Bought my Leigh way back off of Ross Gobby even before he became Timbecom & when he was startin' to hit his straps...never regretted it for moment!

Good luck with the adventure,

Cheers:)

Bakes
18th September 2007, 06:32 PM
Carry Pine,

I know where you are coming from. I am experiencing exactly the same thing. i paid a deposit for an FMT jig 9 weeks ago and was told it would be available in 4 weeks. i then discover the rest of the payment had been taken from my CC 2 weeks later without informing me or gaining permission. i was advised after chasing about extra payment they had arrived in the countryand would be sent the next day. 6 weeks ago paid in full and still no jig. I have since noticed on the reciept that the supposed due date is the 1oth OCT, someone is spinning a good yarn here.i have dealt with said company before with no problems, i believe i have been more than accomodating but my patience has run out.

the latest installment is that it was sent on thursday. if it doesn't arrive by friday i will ask for a refund in full, if that is not recieved i will talk to the fair trading people about what options are available to get my money back.

this was an expensive purchase and to have paid in full 6 weeks ago with nothing to show for it really gives me the SH(TS. i thought that maybe it was just one of those things but the post from Carry Pine makes me think that some things fed to me were incorrect.
Bakes

Hoppoz
24th September 2007, 11:31 AM
Carry Pine

You were not alone, I have just got my D4R, after paying for it at the Syd WWS.

I'm now going out to buy some timber to make a box to keep it all in as well a bing my first project.

Good Luck

Hoppoz

Carry Pine
24th September 2007, 06:33 PM
Well done Hoppoz. But where were you when I was tearing my heart out thinking I was the only one who paid up 3 months ago and got zero. If the company went bottom up I would have no chance of retrieving the cash and I thought that's what had happened.
Well, what are we going to see? A blanket box or a chest of drawers?
Look forward to your next post after setting up the D4 and giving it a go.

Carry Pine

lesmeyer
24th September 2007, 10:16 PM
To those who had to wait a long time, I hope the wait was worth it for you. I did not have the unfortunate experience of waiting. I have cut some test joints and the results are fantastic. I cannot wait until my wrestling match with Ben Hur (the kitchen) is over so that I can make some chests and other furniture pieces with the aid of the D4R and the Domino of course. I will use the jig however to do some of the drawers for the kitchen.
Happy dovetailing to all who have one.
Regards
Les

woodcutta
24th September 2007, 11:50 PM
Carry Pine

When you follow the manual to make the plate to mount it on - look at the pictures and not the Text !!!!

woodcutta

mat
25th September 2007, 10:03 AM
For all those recent purchasers don't forget to look at the VRS accessory - it makes an enormous difference to workability.

martink
25th September 2007, 10:52 AM
For all those recent purchasers don't forget to look at the VRS accessory - it makes an enormous difference to workability.

I don't know that they are available here just yet, I checked on the mik site, I do know that leigh over in canada are only just now shipping them.

Ciao,

m.

mat
25th September 2007, 01:56 PM
Spoke to MIK. They will have stocks of VRS by the end of the week.

Carry Pine
25th September 2007, 03:27 PM
Carry Pine

When you follow the manual to make the plate to mount it on - look at the pictures and not the Text !!!!

woodcutta

I used both. But it still doesn't explain supplying a 20mm machine screw in a 3/4in board and getting 3/8in sticking out the end. No real problem if you countersink it half way through the board.

Mat: Thanks for the advice on the VRS. It was offered at the Sydney WWW Show too in a package with dovetail bits. I think I will be using a different supplier this time.

CP

Big Shed
25th September 2007, 07:26 PM
Spoke to MIK. They will have stocks of VRS by the end of the week.

Ah, but did they specify WHICH week?:(

LGS
25th September 2007, 07:54 PM
Have a look at Carbatec Melbourne, they may have them now. They bring things in from Leigh direct these days.

Regards,

Rob

Hoppoz
25th September 2007, 08:47 PM
Well done Hoppoz. But where were you when I was tearing my heart out thinking I was the only one who paid up 3 months ago and got zero. If the company went bottom up I would have no chance of retrieving the cash and I thought that's what had happened.
Well, what are we going to see? A blanket box or a chest of drawers?
Look forward to your next post after setting up the D4 and giving it a go.

Carry Pine

Carry

I apologise fro leaving you hanging. I also had a Festool CMS TS55 1400 Router and CT33, that was purchased at the same time.

Because work had me otherwise occupied, I hadn't got excited. If I'd found your posting earlier the story may have been different.

Mind you the order is not yet all delivered.

Hoppoz

Carry Pine
25th September 2007, 09:45 PM
[quote=Hoppoz;593717]Carry

I apologise for leaving you hanging.

All is forgiven, Hoppoz...............well almost. Very disappointed with an otherwise high reputation supplier. I won't be caught again.

Carry Pine

lesmeyer
25th September 2007, 10:42 PM
Have a look at Carbatec Melbourne, they may have them now. They bring things in from Leigh direct these days.

Regards,

Rob
If you look at the Leigh web site you will note that Carba-Tec is now also an Australian distributor for Leigh jigs. Previously it was only MIK. It is good to have more than 1 distributor.:U
Regards
Les

old_picker
25th September 2007, 10:54 PM
someone should keep a website with these outfits listed who do this sort off stuff.....
so when someone wants to buy they can check to see who's on the blacklist

bet you'd soon see some changes

customers are getting a raw deal right now dunno why

eg i went to carbatec melbourne today to buy a liegh jig
it took me an hour to get the attention of a sales rep long enough to explain some of the finer points and i turned round to pull out my wallett and the litle b#gger was talking on the phone so i walked out.....i seen 3 salesmen lined up all talking flat out out on the phone and what was I ? cold toast? stale milk?

look i know it gets busy sometimes but i felt like all i was doing was interupting their important work.....and it aint the first time...i think they need a bit of attitude adjustment or some more floor staff

companies giving less than perfect service deserve to get a bit of a ragging in here from time to time
if i treated my customers like that i would out of business
rant rant rant

Carry Pine
26th September 2007, 10:31 AM
Old picker.... On another thread here some of the guys are arranging to buy circular sanding pads from OS knowing that they are saving heaps.
I would love to support local people but it is really tempting to buy OS knowing that it will take a certain amount of time to get here. Somewhere down the track i will purchase the set of leigh dovetail cutters that go with the dust extractor as a package. This package was offered to me on 16.6.07 and I believe that the package is not available yet from either Australian supplier.

Carry Pine

mat
26th September 2007, 01:48 PM
Carry

Be careful not to buy the old model vacuum attachment model RVA something which has traditionally been sold with the bit sets. It attaches directly to the router.
Comparison with the new VRS is chalk and cheese.

Northwoods in QLD now sell some Leigh sized bits (Infinity brand) as does Lee Valley in Canada. LV get theirs from the same factory in Taiwan that produces the genuine Leigh bits. LV also sell some well priced spiral upcuts. I use a spiral upcut instead of the straight bit to give cleaner cuts with less tear out.

jaspr
27th September 2007, 10:38 AM
I finally received my FMT through MIK last week, having -paid for it at the Sydney Show. Sorry Carry Pine, I only just noticed this thread.

Apparently (I have copies of the emails from Leigh to MIK) the problems were all at the Leigh end.

It's a long time to wait - and the price dropped in the meantime - but I kept in touch with MIK - and was happy they were doing all they could do.

And full points to MIK - they've looked after and I'm still a happy customer.