PDA

View Full Version : good end to a bad day.

weisyboy
5th September 2007, 06:16 PM
this is the first thing i turned since i built my new lathe stand.

i finished the miniplater and was parting off when i hit a hidden nail with the parting chizzel and stufed 5mm of my parting chissel. :o

so i stoped the lathe and thaught i would cut it off with my tennon saw but when i picked it up and realised it had been borowed by a little visitor to and used to bang sompthing hard it had aout 3cm of teath mising :~

so i got my handsaw and proceded to cut the platter off i was nearly threw when the saw jamed and twisted breaking the peice of the lathe
and sending it falling towards the ground. :((

this would not have been so bad if i hadent just swept the floor.:doh:

it hit the concreat floor and split in half.:C

after a lot of foul language i picked the peices up and had a look. and decided i could glue them back together. :wink:

when i got my glue i found the lid had been left open and it had set hard as a rock.:C

but after some seching i found a tube of supa glue and joined it back together it seams ok now. :yippee:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54900&stc=1&d=1188976495

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54901&stc=1&d=1188976495

i am pleased with the finished peice if a little frustrated.

oh yer. the stand worked a treat a little flexing in the legs so they will have to be braced. but all up ok.

ss_11000
5th September 2007, 06:21 PM
LOL. nice recovery mate:2tsup:

scooter
5th September 2007, 06:55 PM
Nice job, weisy, at least you ended up with something for your troubles :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2007, 07:30 PM
My commiserations, mate... I know all too well what days like that are like.

As a matter of fact, on the rare occasion when things turn out without any problems like that, I'm tempted to whack things with a big hammer just so's I have something to fix and make the job feel "complete." :D

TTIT
6th September 2007, 12:29 AM
Yup - sometimes Murphy just doesn't know when he's worn out his welcome :~ -----but when it all comes together on another day, it's easy to forget him :2tsup:

Sebastiaan56
6th September 2007, 07:05 AM
I remember a post not so long ago about isnt it wonderful when it all comes together. I have that experience a couple of times now. Usually they are more like yours Weisyboy. This one sounds like a doozy.

Nice platter, timber, dimensions?

weisyboy
6th September 2007, 09:35 AM
it is a mini platter/cake stand made from camphor laurel and mesures 160mm accross.

wheelinround
6th September 2007, 09:39 AM
I am so glad I am not alone in the Murphy's Law Days

after seting up router to make a couple of boxes for my sharpening stones, turned on the power and switch:no: nothing :(( not a checked cable checked power switch ON.:~

Dismantle and turn router tabel over to check router switch ON:((:C:~ all ON.

Set to pulled apart switch to find dust had invaded, cleaned tried turing on still nothing checked wires attached tap tap tap switch, opened case brushed little dust out clean as.
Tried turning on again:2tsup: fired up. put back together reset everything.

Routered first box:2tsup: still have to finish yet.

Start on secodn box after changing settings guides etc looking good :doh: no idea why but router bit came adrift an straight through the base of the box:C busted the end stuffed it.

Lousy weather since cant finish it till it stops raining.

munruben
6th September 2007, 09:52 AM
Terrific, looks great :2tsup:

weisyboy
6th September 2007, 11:53 AM
yer i ahd arealy bad day yesterday i set up ythe spray on the quad bike and when i had finished the bike would not start.:rolleyes:

i deduced it was a power problem so i took the batery out and charged it put it back in and nothing.:oo:

so i started pulling the bike to bits to find the fault. :?

got all the covers of after an hour of pinched fingers and foul language but still could not find the problem. :((

i had a nother look at the bartery and started. nothing:((

then took the plug out of the solonoid and found there was a third fuse in there that had blown.:-

got it going thow.:D but no spraying can be done today because of the delightful weather i am confined to my work shop.

wheelinround
6th September 2007, 12:38 PM
confined to work shop???
computer must be woking over time :p

weisyboy
6th September 2007, 04:23 PM
have to have a break after each peice lotsa tea keeps me warm

scooter
6th September 2007, 06:26 PM
lotsa tea keeps me warm

One of 's mates :D

Buzza
30th July 2008, 11:08 PM
I will be a PITA here. A similar piece to what you have made was accidently cracked, and it was a family heirloom, made by a deceased member of that family. Two of us made a perfectly seamless re-join, and used superglue. After five years, it has opened up as the glue has now failed. :-

weisyboy
31st July 2008, 08:19 AM
well i gues in 5 years ill have a nice peice opf fire wood then:U

bowl-basher
31st July 2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Wiesey:D
Any word from your man in america ????? re the ambrosia maple
I know I just hijacked the thread and appolagise to all
Bowl Basher:cool::cool:

Sawdust Maker
31st July 2008, 08:35 PM
didn't they go broke - Weisy post a while ago

weisyboy
31st July 2008, 08:38 PM
they sure did. didnt get any of our money atleast.

bowl-basher
1st August 2008, 09:22 AM
:?:?:?:?:?
Shows that I should read the posts a bit closer:doh::doh::doh: