PDA

View Full Version : Work bench - fonrt edge strip?

RobTro
6th September 2007, 01:17 AM
Hi all,

Finally got around to getting the wood for my bench and have glued up the top. That is the spruce part of it. This is now 525mm deep, 2000mm long and 105mm thick (at present - will have to lose a bit in flattening it)

I want to put a hardwood edge strip (made of the same wood I'll be using for the jaws for veritas twin screw) along the front edge beside the rear jaw for the vice. This is to keep a nice line with the rear jaw and the bench. Also it will give me stronger, more wearing front edge to the bench. This will be 50mm thick by 105mm. The wood is called "sarenganbatsu" in Japanese. This a "Yellow Belau" wood (from my internet searching). Hard tropical. What I have planed so far is not too bad to plane as the grain (so far) is very straight, but is VERY heavy. Anyway...

I was thinking of gluing this hardwood to the spruce, but thought I should get some feedback as too whether this would be a good idea or not. Or would it be better to lag bolt it to the top. The rear jaw of the vise will be bolted to the bench as per the instructions and for future maintenance of the jaws (if needed). It will be 900mm long. So the front edge strip will be 1100mm long.

Will glueing a hard wood and a softwood be OK?

OH just remembered... in case it helps...the top is made by laminating 5 105mmx105mm laminated posts. so essentially the top is laminated from 17.5mm (3/4") laminations. So I am thinking that it should be reasonably stable.

Rob

Dan
6th September 2007, 02:05 PM
I screwed mine on because I was thinking it might be good to be able to remove it later on if it gets too dinged up. The one thing I would recommend is to use big dowels (unglued) for alignment so you can remove it and put it back on and it will end up in exactly the same spot. The dowels will also reduce any possibility of the strip moving (no matter how tight it's screwed) if it gets a big impact somehow.

RobTro
7th September 2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks Dan for the reply.
I think I will bolt it on now.
If I went the lag bolt way what length and size bolts should I use. and what spacing is suggested. And with the bolt what size hole should I drill? I haven't used lag bolts before so no experience with them.

Or if I went the bolt and barrel nut way (like the vertas ones) what spacing would you suggest?

Rob

Dan
8th September 2007, 03:31 PM
I've not had a lot of experience with them myself. I used 5 (3/8 x 4") bolts/screws at 12" spacing. I drilled the strip in the drill press first with counterbores for the washers and bolt heads, then clamped it on and drilled the edge of the bench. I made up some washers at work that are about 1" x 1/8" so they won't sink into the timber like the thin washers you get from the hardware shop.

There's a pic of my bench back here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47950)where you will notice I have buggered the edge strip by drilling the holes in the wrong spot, might plug them one day.:-