PDA

View Full Version : the perfect workshop will consist of the following ingredients :

Zed
25th September 2003, 09:26 AM
One dust extraction system,

One finishing room,

one beer keg,

one power tool storage sheving system,

one NOVA DVR3000 lathe,

DaveInOz
25th September 2003, 10:14 AM
One out of date girlie calander with a greasy thumb print on it.
A couple of 'contemplation' stools (crates, etc), a can rest is a bonus.

colh
25th September 2003, 10:37 AM
bandsaw, drill press, grinder, plenty of light and power .....

far enough away from the neighbours that you can make noise at night, but close enough to the house that you can just slip in and have a little play, or just a contemplate, on the way to or from some other "approved" activity (like putting the bin out).

Colin

Sir Stinkalot
25th September 2003, 11:21 AM
..... an old 486 desktop for MP3 tunes.

Zed
25th September 2003, 11:56 AM
a wood rack (drying and storage for the use of.

a huge frigging lock on the front door with only 2 keys - mine and the spare where i'm not gunna tell you where it is unless i lose mine first.

craigb
25th September 2003, 12:34 PM
A complete set of Lie Nielson bench planes.

Everything from Colen Clenton

A Delta cabinet saw

Sir Stinkalot
25th September 2003, 12:42 PM
.... A cleaner

Dean
25th September 2003, 01:30 PM
No ankle biters getting into your tool cupboards!

Wayne Davy
25th September 2003, 02:00 PM
Drum Sander (bigger the better)

and an autographed picture like below (this will get me flamed for sure :D )

Dean
25th September 2003, 02:07 PM
All Hail the Great Norm!
:)

The one thing you might need is to live close to someone who does have a drum sander... Hint Hint Wayne... Expect some visitors when you get one :)

craigb
25th September 2003, 02:13 PM
A picture of another bloke in your workshop??

I don't think so.

I'll stick to the out of date cheesecake calander :D

Craig

Wayne Davy
25th September 2003, 02:15 PM
Craig,

Norms pic is in ADDITION to the Calendar and serves a different purpose. One is to distract you while cutting and the other is to inspire. (I just don't know which is which) :D

Zed
25th September 2003, 02:25 PM
a set of damascan steel chisels and knives..

who's norm ? ( he's ugly!)

craigb
25th September 2003, 02:28 PM
Stiil no sale Wayne.

A bearded bloke staring at me all day would give me the creeps.

I'll bet his eyes follow you round the room too !:D

Craig

craigb
25th September 2003, 02:31 PM
Zed,

Saint Norm, aka His Normness is the host of a cable show called New Yankee workshop - which is a woodworking show where we watch Norm make different stuff every week.

And come to think of it - Norm probably has the perfect workshop. (who knows, he may even have a picture of himself on the wall :p )

Craig

ndru
25th September 2003, 04:31 PM
Can't wait 'til he releases his own workshop calendar!

Just imagine - each month a new picture of Norm holding his tool(s) in an alluring pose... http://www.my-smileys.de/eek7.gif

Dean
25th September 2003, 04:36 PM
ok ok, I want to keep my lunch down please :D

Wayne Davy
25th September 2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by craigb
(who knows, he may even have a picture of himself on the wall :p ) HE DOES - Well, a silhouette at least :p

http://www.newyankee.com/new_yankee_tour/nwestcornersmall.jpg

btw: Now that is a Sander!!

Norms Shop Tour (http://www.newyankee.com/tour2.shtml)

ndru
25th September 2003, 06:03 PM
Now that is a Sander!!

You know what they say - "big sander, big cyclone!"

Wayne Davy
25th September 2003, 06:08 PM
Well that means I have to get a BIG Sander now - what a shame. I wonder how SWMBO will take it??? :confused:

Dean
25th September 2003, 06:10 PM
Wayne,

Just say you need a really big sander to give her the best finish when she paints the projects white :D :p :rolleyes:

ndru
25th September 2003, 06:12 PM
Just say you need a really big sander to give her the best finish when she paints the projects white

...or just tell her its a really big emery board (nail file). Talk about win-win!

Dan
25th September 2003, 09:43 PM
How about a mezzanine floor with shower, toilet, bed and a desk for Stinkies computer, though I would probably upgrade said 'puter to a slightly newer model and include broad band access.

craigb
30th September 2003, 11:40 AM
Of course the perfect workshop couldn't be without a copy of The Polisher's Handbook (grovel, grovel) :p

DaveInOz
30th September 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by craigb
Of course the perfect workshop couldn't be without a copy of The Polisher's Handbook (grovel, grovel) :p

You do know you can buy purpose made table leg levelers now, right?;)

Woodgrub
21st November 2003, 01:44 AM
A TANK OF WHITE ANTS FOR YA MISTAKES!!!

:D :D

JaD
28th March 2004, 05:31 PM
Areally good fridge without freezer so u can fit more cans in and another 'lady' calender on the door.
And hopefully it is tall enough to cover up Norm.

If its not then the shed should also have some pallets to raise the fridge:D :D :D

HappyHammer
6th July 2004, 10:56 AM
A fridge like Costa Tzu's with a keg inside and a beer tap on the outside of the door so you only open it when the keg needs replacing.

I reckon a TV & video (As a novice watching instruction videos close to the tools would be nice) in the mezzanine level office. Also if I have to look after the kids they can watch videos while I work.

Thought about a telephone but then the "Sorry I couldn't hear the phone I was in the shed" excuse is a gonna!
HH

jackiew
9th July 2004, 04:48 PM
I'm not having girlie calendars in my perfect workshop ..... :eek:

there will be my original british firefighters calendar, and my swedish firefighters and cats calendar ( ... it was a present ... i'm not that keen on cats ) ... and my men for all seasons calendar ... and my collection of Alastair Lynch piccy's ..... hmm ... maybe not ... wouldn't get any work done :o .

.... and definately no possums .... a very fat one squeezed into my garage somehow yesterday and scared the life out of me when I opened the door ....

Kev Y.
10th July 2004, 01:38 AM
What about a bed.. that way you can keep all the "BIG BOYS TOYS" (sorry jackiew - GIRLS TOYS) company on those long cold winter nights.. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Kev

John Saxton
19th July 2004, 07:02 PM
Lotsa Clamps, & room for large projects and more tools!

Cheers :)

ribot
20th December 2004, 06:38 PM
Gotta have cd player/radio.