PDA

View Full Version : Recording security camera

Gingermick
7th September 2007, 01:47 PM
I want to store a few days worth of video footage onto a device of some sort, (4 cameras hooked up to a quad processor) but dvd recorders are a bit exxy and my computer dont have the memory (and as its running windows, the propensity to crash)
I have heard the product media streamer mentioned but know not of it.
Anyone have any ideas?

DavidG
7th September 2007, 03:22 PM
I run a camera direct to the computer with motion detection by the video software.
It also records continously at 2 frames per second from dusk to dawn.

Not much load on the computer and only records fully (25 frame) when there is movement.

5 days gives 1.1gb of data which I should clean up daily but am lazy.

The video card can handle 4 cameras.
The software can handle 16 cameras.

All on Ebay.

Gingermick
7th September 2007, 03:55 PM
So just a video capture card?

Gingermick
10th September 2007, 07:38 PM
I bought this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YS-400-SECURITY-COLOUR-QUAD-PROCESSOR-SYSTEM-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ330163494365QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20589QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and just got an email from the seller saying that I couldn't record to dvd recorder HDD with it?
Anyone know why or how to record, the seller takes a while to respond

DavidG
10th September 2007, 08:00 PM
This (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-Ch-CCTV-DVR-VIDEO-Security-Camera-PCI-Card-BNC-RCA-G_W0QQitemZ290158491757QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48637QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)is an example of the card required in a PC.
Supports 4 cameras per card.
Max camera limit is 16 but that depends on how many free slots you have in the pc.

Brown Dog
10th September 2007, 08:18 PM
I would be interested to know why he says you cant record to a DVD. :?

Not having used one of these particular kind of processors before....maybe there is an issue with playing back the multiplexed signal ie. viewing cameras seperately etc.

however ....According to the specs it is standard PAL or NTSC video....so any device capable of recording TV should be cabable of recording it as well :shrug: .....but maybe you would have to use the monitor output instead of the video output if there is an issue....this would mean you would be recording a picture with all four cameras on screen at once, in other words you would loose the ability of being able to select one camera individually.

Like I said I never used one of these proccessors....but I have installled many CCTV systems connected to a MUX then to a 24hr VCR and I cant see why a DVD recorder should be any different.

hope this helps

cheers
BD:2tsup:

DavidG
10th September 2007, 11:49 PM
Don't think I would like to watch 24 hours of video per day even at high speed.
Much better to have motion detecting software.

Gingermick
11th September 2007, 07:38 AM
to a 24hr VCR

24hr VCR? I could only find a 5hr tape for 10 on LP, where can I get larger tapes from?

Thanks David for your input,

Gingermick
11th September 2007, 07:41 AM

Finances are tight, was thinking of renting dvd recorder from radio rentals, but if I can find long (12hr) VCR tapes then they would do fine.

Brown Dog
11th September 2007, 04:35 PM
24hr VCR ?

5hr tapes are the largest I have seen
24hr VCR's are a special security VCR, they use ordinary 3hr tapes to record 24hrs.

I have one of these at home that I have been thinking about putting on ebay....but Im still thinkin I may have a use for it one day myself....so at the moment I cant help you out :-

I think trying out the DVD recorder is a good idea...I cant see why it wouldnt work, it should be the same as a VCR :?

You shouldnt need to watch the tape everyday....you only watch it if something happens. The idea behind the 24 hour recording....is that you should know approximately what time the offence occured. Either by the offence being witnessed (day time) or the time recorded by an alarm system(night time) via some sort of motion sensor, some video processors also have an alarm input or motion sensing built in, that can be used to index or flag the tape when an incident occurs....it is then very easy to key the tape up to the time of the incident.

In the smaller installations(ie a few cameras, one monitor and 1 VCR) Ive worked on, the system was set up to use seven tapes, one for each day of the week and one spare. The idea was to swap the tape each day....and use the spare if one tape had evidence needed to prosecute an offender.

Motion detecting software is OK....but not 100% reliable (especially outdoors) unless you have fairly expensive equipment...even then it takes a fair bit to set up properly. I guess it is alright for home security....but it doesnt help you much if it doesnt record at full rate at the moment you need it and misses some detail that identifies the naughty ones.

cheers

Gingermick
11th September 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks
Well I got over ruled on the dvd recorder by gingerchick. She wants me to put up a gate. Now I have a quad processor and nothing to use it for/on /with

Brown Dog
11th September 2007, 07:43 PM
oh well....gotta do what the boss says :rolleyes:

Unfortunately if you wanna record more than 10hr continuously(ie. LP on normal VCR) you will have to get something like David mentioned,fork out for a DVD recorder or keep an eye on ebay for one of these going cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-TIME-LAPSE-VIDEO-RECORDER-VCR-SECURITY-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ250158586792QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers

DavidG
11th September 2007, 09:19 PM
Duh.
My whole setup:
Wireless camera, Receiver and pc card with sw, cost me about $50
It runs on a old AMD 1.7ghz which I use as a print server.
It captures at 25 fps on motion detect.

Main use to date is those door knocking kids.
The ones who knock and run.

They did it twice one day. Came back for a third go and there was a pix of them on the door with a note "Please smile for the camera".:;

Never a kid problems since but I do get sick of cats, dogs, birds and the bl...dy spider that built a wed across the camera lens.

scanfor
12th September 2007, 05:12 PM
Oatley Electronics has some nice gear, not sure if it is exactly what you're after...

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=c29333b759a4fd8bd9a1f226a2e4ed57

Regards
Scott