PDA

View Full Version : New or Second Hand Notebook !

351shaker
8th September 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi All back again,
Don't know a thing about notebooks but am seriously thinking of change over from desktop ( main reason so I can cancel main phone hookup and revert to next G mobile use when sorted out ). Old story, for least amount of $ possible (new or second-hand)!
These are approximate only & basically require : Intel Pent. 4, 100-200gb H.D., NO DELL BRAND, Broadband hookup, CDRW burner, 1gb ram, XP Home (have the original OS on disc).
Any help or advice would be much appreciated,
Regards,
351shaker.:? :? :?

Barry_White
8th September 2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Shaker

I have been using notebook for the last 4 years. To make it easier to use because I hate the notebook keyboard I have plugged a standard keyboard into it and I use a Logitech wireless mouse.

joe greiner
8th September 2007, 01:35 PM
When considering the cost of second hand, I'd suggest adding the cost of a new battery, which it probably needs or soon will. Unless you expect to use it always connected through the charger, i.e. not really a notebook.

Joe

Barry_White
8th September 2007, 03:16 PM
Shaker

I didn't really answer the question new or second hand. With this I am probably with Joe. My brother gave me his old notebook which was three years old and the battery was clagged but like Joe say if you are only going to use it like a desktop it wouldn't matter but as you are talking about wireless Broadband you probably will want to move around with it.

I think the price of new notebooks now is so low I would be thinking new.

You should make a trip to Tamworth, plenty to choose from and probably a lot more competative.

wheelinround
8th September 2007, 04:41 PM
Shaker

I didn't really answer the question new or second hand. With this I am probably with Joe. My brother gave me his old notebook which was three years old and the battery was clagged but like Joe say if you are only going to use it like a desktop it wouldn't matter but as you are talking about wireless Broadband you probably will want to move around with it.

I think the price of new notebooks now is so low I would be thinking new.

You should make a trip to Tamworth, plenty to choose from and probably a lot more competative.

I agree with Barry call in and see CPS computers if they are still there but now with HN and others maybe they like many have retired gone bush.

Big Shed
8th September 2007, 04:52 PM
A few months ago my Clevo D400S notebook had a fit and the screen went very dim. Everything else worked fine. Cost of repair, don't, can't get the part (we live in a throw-away society right!?). So start looking for new notebook, forgetaboutit, all new notebooks have these idiotic very glossy screens. Not into watching windows light and fluoros.

Have a look on Ebay, found Acer Travelmate 660, 1.9Pentium M mobile, 512Ram, 80Gb HDD, 15" screen (matte),CDRW wireless etc. Cost me $420 Buy ItNow, picked it up, checked it out, very happy. Only downside, as mentioned, battery clagged, do I care? No, sits beside my chair and is connected to the desktop via ethernet connection installed when building the house. Don't normally use the wireless connection, but have done so and it works. If I wanted a new battery I could buy one on Ebay for $65, so it would still be a sub $500 notebook.

All the sub $1000 new notebooks are Celerons, won't have one of those.

Bonus of the Pentium M is that they run cool as, fan hardly ever comes on, and the notebook is switched onfrom early morning to late at night.

Worth considering secondhand.

wheelinround
8th September 2007, 04:58 PM
you could always try these guys they have been around now for many years.
http://www.pcrecyclers.net/epages/immersive.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/acr

echnidna
9th September 2007, 04:00 PM
isn't nextg internet real expensive?

the nextg phone service is not worth p***ing on

Barry_White
9th September 2007, 05:42 PM
isn't nextg internet real expensive?

the nextg phone service is not worth p***ing on

Our local independant federal member Tony Windsor last week did about 2000 klms with the local Telstra guru on the next G network testing the system because he is fighting the government trying to get Telstra not to close down the CDMA network in January because of the problems.

What he found was that the Transmission of Next G is as good as the CDMA network but it's all the crappy phones that Telstra has sold all their customers that are no good. There is apparantly only a couple of phones that are up to the task. He found that where the Next G wouldn't work either would the CDMA network.

Cliff Rogers
9th September 2007, 07:11 PM
Sorry, didn't read all the other posts so I hope I'm not repeating something, if I am, consider it a confirmation.

What do you want the Notebook for?

If it is to be your main computer, get a new one.

If it is to be just for traveling, get a 2nd hand one.

David L
10th September 2007, 05:38 PM
BS, I hope you didn't throw it out I came across this info some time ago.:2tsup:

"Laptop screens use a mini fluorescent lamp to backlight the display on your computer. In many cases, this light goes out and that is why the screen goes dark so quickly. This can be caused by any number of things: dropping your case or even by extended use.
The lamp can be replaced without you having to take it to a professional. The area where the lamp goes can be found on the front of your screen. It's just a little hole that opens up for the bulb.
You may be able to get a replacement lamp for under $20 depending on your laptop type. You'll want to refer to your laptop manual to try and find the type of lamp you'll need. If you can't find it there, you may want to contact the manufacturer, because you need a reliable source for the type of lamp your laptop needs. You don't want to insert the wrong one and cause even more problems. You can also try searching for your type online. Go to Google (or whatever your favorite search engine is) and type in something like "LCD Backlighting" or "Miniature Fluorescent Lamps." You can probably just order a new lamp from the Internet if you can find the type you need."
This may help some one.

munruben
10th September 2007, 06:33 PM
All the sub $1000 new notebooks are Celerons, won't have one of those
I have built many computers over the years with the Celeron processor and have found them to be a reliable component. They are excellent value for money and I would have no hesitation in buying a second hand computer with the Celeron chip.
Of all the components in a computer, the processor is the most unlikely one to fail.
Depends what you expect from a computer and your budget. The Celeron processor is one of the top selling processors in the world and cheap to replace. It will handle most peoples demands of a home based computer.

Big Shed
10th September 2007, 06:40 PM
I have built many computers over the years with the Celeron processor and have found them to be a reliable component. They are excellent value for money and I would have no hesitation in buying a second hand computer with the Celeron chip.
Of all the components in a computer, the processor is the most unlikely one to fail.
Depends what you expect from a computer and your budget. The Celeron processor is one of the top selling processors in the world and cheap to replace. It will handle most peoples demands of a home based computer.

Well I'm glad you think so, and I don't disagree that it is reliable. However when it comes to handling maths intensive tasks such as graphics and compiling VB and C++, it is just not up to the task.
However if you're happy with it, good on you:2tsup:. I've had one once, and never again, just my opinion and experience.

Big Shed
10th September 2007, 06:51 PM
BS, I hope you didn't throw it out I came across this info some time ago.:2tsup:

"Laptop screens use a mini fluorescent lamp to backlight the display on your computer. In many cases, this light goes out and that is why the screen goes dark so quickly. This can be caused by any number of things: dropping your case or even by extended use.
The lamp can be replaced without you having to take it to a professional. The area where the lamp goes can be found on the front of your screen. It's just a little hole that opens up for the bulb.
You may be able to get a replacement lamp for under $20 depending on your laptop type. You'll want to refer to your laptop manual to try and find the type of lamp you'll need. If you can't find it there, you may want to contact the manufacturer, because you need a reliable source for the type of lamp your laptop needs. You don't want to insert the wrong one and cause even more problems. You can also try searching for your type online. Go to Google (or whatever your favorite search engine is) and type in something like "LCD Backlighting" or "Miniature Fluorescent Lamps." You can probably just order a new lamp from the Internet if you can find the type you need."
This may help some one.

David, I knew it involved "backlighting", but as I am basically a "software" man and not a "hardware" man, I didn't know the ins and outs.
Your explanation sounds very plausible and I'll have a look at it. Yes I do still have it, it was a good machine, has a P4 2.8G processor, so it flies, but at a price, it runs quite "warm":oo:, not really meant for a notebook.

davo453
10th September 2007, 07:10 PM
laptops are very cheap now, in fact so cheap that they give them away with 2 years broadband connection here in the UK.

I was until a year or two ago a freelance insurance assessor, mainly dealing with computer claims. Of those claims 80% where laptops. Based on that experience my opinion is, go for a PC unless absolutely necessary .

The risks associated with laptops are numerous.

If you spill your coffee on a PC keyboard your looking at a new keyboard. with a laptop it's often a new machine.
Heat is a major problem with laptops, they put the fans on the side and they are easy to block up accidentally with a book or something, result one cooked laptop.
You can easily drop them.
They get left on the roofs of cars and fall on the road, get dropped under buses, lost.
They are the first thing to be stolen in a burglary.
If you go for anything other than a main brand manufacturer (Toshiba are arguably the best for parts) you nearly always find that 2 years after it was made parts are unavailable.I haven't looked at laptop insurance for a year or two but there was talk in the industry of not insuring them at all, due to excessive claims.

They are hard to upgrade your stuck with the processor and screen etc, you can upgrade the drives and to a limited extent the memory.

All that said I have a laptop (bought new) and recently traveled the world with it in tow. I wouldn't have been without it on the trip but they just aren't the best option as a desktop replacement.

Cheers

Dave

351shaker
10th September 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks to all forum members for their suggestions and advice.
Just a short reply to Cliff R. the notebook will replace my desktop so looks like new is the way to go.
Next G is the only available service in my area but as you suggested 'echnidna' this service is not up to scratch at the moment but according to our local member, is improving ( if you can believe any politician ). At the moment we are serviced by CDMA which is closing late Jan. 08. Don't believe it !
I will wait until the Next G or whatever is sorted out.
Still :?

Big Shed
10th September 2007, 11:16 PM
I don't know what sort of spec you are after in a notebook, but Office First National here is advertising with an Acer 5020 with 15.4" wide screen, Celeron 1.7, 512 RAM, DVD burner and all the usual goodies, wireless network, modem etc for $599 after $150 cash back from Acer.
If you are happy with a Celeron processor, and most people are, than that is a very good deal, finishes 31/10/07.
Don't know whether they have Office First National in your neck of the woods.

Barry_White
10th September 2007, 11:24 PM
Shaker

Why not look at 2 way satellite. Cheaper than next G and free installation with the Broadband Connect subsidy.

Have a look here. www.bluemaxx.com.au (http://www.bluemaxx.com.au)

ian
11th September 2007, 12:17 AM
Hi All back again,
Don't know a thing about notebooks but am seriously thinking of change over from desktop ( main reason so I can cancel main phone hookup and revert to next G mobile use when sorted out ). Old story, for least amount of $ possible (new or second-hand)!
These are approximate only & basically require : Intel Pent. 4, 100-200gb H.D., NO DELL BRAND, Broadband hookup, CDRW burner, 1gb ram, XP Home (have the original OS on disc).
Any help or advice would be much appreciated,
Regards,
351shaker.:? :? :?looking at your proposed spec I've got to ask what do you want to do with it?

A Pent 4 is way too much grunt if all you're doing is a bit of word processing, simple spreadsheets, email and internet. A Celeron will do fine.

1—200 Gb HD is in my opinion overkill, especially if you've got a DVD burner. If you need that amount of storage, it's much cheaper to get an 300Gb external USB HD which will also function as your back-up drive

now that Vista is here you may struggle to find a machine with XP

Lastly I'd buy new. These guys www.ht.com.au (http://www.ht.com.au) currently have
Acer Extensa Celeron M440 1.8GHz, 512Mb RAM, 14.1" screen, 80Gb HD, DVD, wireless LAN, Windows Vista, 12 months warranty for $649 (after the $100 cash back from Acer)
or a HP Celeron M540 1.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, 15.4" screen, 80Gb HD, DVD, wireless LAN, Windows Vista, 12 months warranty for $899

The basis for my recommendations ?
• the machine at work is a Pent 4 3.3GHz, 2Gb RAM, 128Mb Invidia graphics card, runs Windows 2000 — it struggles a bit when I open a 1.2 GB (yes giga byte) TIFF or send a 200 page Ventura doc to the printer, but otherwise has too much grunt for regular day to day work.
• At home the desktop is a Pent 4 3.0GHz, 1Gb RAM, Matrox G550 graphics card, Windows XP Pro — more than enough grunt to edit 30Mb photos and for SWMBO to edit her digital video
• my personal laptop is a HP Celeron with 768Mb RAM, a 15.4" wide screen, shared graphics memory and XP Home. It's fast enough for word processing, spreadsheets and basic photo editing.

ian

MurrayD99
11th September 2007, 07:52 AM
What Bazza and Cliff and others said re new. But I see you don't want a Dell.... Pretty much industry standard and with an extended warranty (3 years), what's the problem? My last Compaq Armada fell over just out of 12 months warranty needing $2,000 for a motherboard. The Dells seem to go and go....

PenTurner
14th September 2007, 04:46 PM
I think that the repair/replacement advice for Laptop backlights is not quite correct, while sometimes it is a back light, more often than not it is the inverter that drives the backlight, and both are not easy to get to and replace, nowadays they make them harder to replace or almost nigh impossible to do so, it is a major job to dissassemble and replace ,reassemble and only to find it does not work. Amos:)