PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Between 2 Way Satellite & Isdn

echnidna
9th September 2007, 09:42 PM
Just wondering if 2 way satellite works better than isdn

q9
9th September 2007, 09:51 PM
From what I hear from our clients, satellite gets around 256k and isdn is 64k. But satellite degrades with atmospheric conditions, like clouds.

Krazee
9th September 2007, 10:05 PM
I have used ISDN for some time but cannot comment on satellite. ISDN can be used in two ways, either as a normal telephone dial up connection by using one of the phone ports and normal modem or by using the data port on the modem (USB connection). I have found this a lot quicker to connect and a bit faster than using the dial up option. I also believe that via the data port it is possible to use both channels to get 128K. You would need to look carefully at charging though as the data charging is different (time based). This suited my environment when I wanted to connect many times during the day but would not stay on line for long.

Barry_White
9th September 2007, 11:03 PM
I have used ISDN for some time but cannot comment on satellite. ISDN can be used in two ways, either as a normal telephone dial up connection by using one of the phone ports and normal modem or by using the data port on the modem (USB connection). I have found this a lot quicker to connect and a bit faster than using the dial up option. I also believe that via the data port it is possible to use both channels to get 128K. You would need to look carefully at charging though as the data charging is different (time based). This suited my environment when I wanted to connect many times during the day but would not stay on line for long.

Since I have had ISDN and currently have two way satellite I think I am qualified to answer this Bob.

When I had ISDN through Telstra (who by the way are the only ones who will supply ISDN. All that I had was a dialup Plan that cost at the $29.95 which ran at 64k as I didn't want to pay the extra for the 128k Plan.I have had 14 ISDN modems blown up by lightening and Telstra suggested that I apply for the HBiS Subsidy which I did.

Now when I started with the Two Way Satellite which was with Bigpond the Plan I was on was 256/64k download/upload with 500meg limit for $69.95 per month with 13.5cents per meg when I went over the 500meg which can be expensive.

About 12 months ago Bigpond did away with the 256/64 plan and changed it to 512/128 still with 500meg limit for $68.50 per month and still 13.5cents per meg when you went over the 500meg.

Now it is garbage that the connection slows down with cloud. The only thing that stops the the connection is a violent thunder storm and we all know how many of these we have had recently.

Last month because I have an ABN number I was able to get another Broadband Connect Subsidy and changed my ISP to Clearnetworks and the plan I am on is 512/256 with 1gig download limit for $49.95 capped which slows down once I hit 1gig.

The only thing wrong with satellite is the upload latency but as far as the download is concerned it streaks compared to dialup or ISDN and once you have the speed you just can't go back.

BTW I have a Bigpond satellite dish and modem for sale along with the software. The trouble is that Bigpond uses a different system and satellite to all the other Satellite providors which uses the Ipstar system.

watson
9th September 2007, 11:33 PM
G'day All.
I have 2 way satellite net via Broadnet.com.au.
The installation and equipment cost zilch.
I pay $39 a month for whatever 2 old farts can download.......dunno the megabytes.
Happy as.......'cos telstra couldn't be bothered to fix our phone line.
I must have been good in my past lives

Barry_White
9th September 2007, 11:52 PM
Bob

These people are still offering Broadband Connect Subsidy.

http://www.bluemaxx.com.au/

echnidna
10th September 2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks Bazza and Noel.

I was looking for info from the horses mouth

Krazee
10th September 2007, 11:45 PM
Brave move with Equine Influenza about!:D