PDA

View Full Version : .....aaahhhhhh...THAT'S what it means...

fanlee
10th September 2007, 01:57 PM
If You've ever read Hitchhikers' Guide... & remember the discription of SPACE..it's big I mean really big, it's so mind-boggingly big etc etc..

well last week I learned what people mean by thin as in padding on THIN coats of shellac. I mean it's really thin. It's so mindboggingly thin I couldn't belive any went on at all, but it did..very VERY thinly.

Then there's the LIGHTLY wet sand...my God, I sanded so lightly it was hard to believe that the Lightly actually applied to sanding.

I was using hard shellac on two Warmoth guitar necks - birdseye maple.

If you can read between the lines, it went very well especially compared to my last efforts where I must've brushed on many mls of lacquer only to scrape & sand most of it off again & get the odd rub through into the bargain.

There was no drama a beautiful result & I probably used less than a quarter as much as my last fumbling effort.

I LOVE LEARNING THINGS!! albeit the hard way.

I don't have pics as my daughter can't find the download cable for the digital pics.

Thanks to the forum for this.

silentC
10th September 2007, 02:13 PM
I've been amazed at what you can do with shellac over the last few weeks. It really is an amazing finish.

How's the weather over in Merimbula today?

fanlee
10th September 2007, 03:31 PM
I've been amazed at what you can do with shellac over the last few weeks. It really is an amazing finish.

How's the weather over in Merimbula today?

People who leave the workplace for lunch may never return.:D

silentC
10th September 2007, 03:41 PM
I know the feeling. We sometimes go down to the Lions Park at Pambula Beach for a sandwich and find it hard to drag ourselves back to work.

Back to the shellac - I've used it on a cupboard I'm making (with Banksia I got from a couple of trees behind the Tura Beach shopping centre). I've used a pad to apply it - many coats, I never count them, just keep going until it looks right or I've had enough. Then I let it go off for 24 hours and then wet sand it. Then I use 000 steel wool to burnish it. Then apply some traditional wax. It gives off a nice golden glow.

I'd never really considered using it, thinking it was too hard and that there were better modern finishes around, but comparing it to polyurethane and oils, which are the other finishes I have used, it wins hands down in my opinion.

munruben
10th September 2007, 07:49 PM
how about some pics Silent:)?

silentC
11th September 2007, 09:18 AM
Here's a thread I prepared earlier: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=523646#post523646

Or were you after pics of the Lions Park? :)