PDA

View Full Version : Veritas burnisher advice

pnienaber
11th September 2007, 12:43 AM
Hi, I have 2 Veritas burnishers (both the tungsten carbide rod in a wood holder type and also the standard tri-burnisher) and am not having much luck in pulling a hook on my Sandvik scrapers with either one.
I ensure that the scraper is neatly filed and then honed on a stone before trying to pull a hook at 5 degrees.
1) I have just about every book (including Rob Lee's sharpening book) or article on scraper sharpening available.
2) The fancy carbide rod one does not seem to pull a useable hook.
3) The tri-burnisher gets scratched by the scraper!!! It would seem that the burnisher may not be hard enough??? I have had a very experienced furniture maker help me in trying to pull the hook, without succes, until we made a home-made burnisher.
When i use a burnisher made from a solid tungsten carbide router bit I get a great hook every time and can scrape wood very well (great shavings).

So, is the tri-burnisher faulty (not hard enough) or is it my technique? I have spent quite a lot on burnishers and would love to get a good result.
Thanks, Pieter.

contrebasse
11th September 2007, 06:41 PM
Tri burnisher works for me. Use the pointiest edge. I don't worry too much about 5 degrees, just clamp the scraper in the vice and pull the burnisher across and down using a hand at both ends. I do it several times and both directions.

rsser
11th September 2007, 09:54 PM
Not my patch but yeah, your Sandviks may well be too hard.

Pick up a set of Crown or Veritas scrapers from Carba-tec or the like and see how they go.