PDA

View Full Version : Japanese V Western method of turning

hughie
10th September 2007, 10:28 PM
An interesting comparison between western wood turning and Japanese

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=29164

RETIRED
11th September 2007, 08:29 AM
Interesting article but it really doesn't go into detail much.

powderpost
12th September 2007, 10:37 PM
I had the pleasure of watching a Japanese turner in action. His lathe was essentially a headstock with a face plate attached. The lathe had no "bed" as such, but had a table instead. The tool rest was free standing with a sloping top . His tools were hand made from steel rod and were mostly variations of the "shepherds" hook. All his work was face plate work. The lathe he used would not handle spindles.
Jim

NeilS
18th September 2007, 10:59 PM
I had the pleasure of watching a Japanese turner in action. His lathe was essentially a headstock with a face plate attached. The lathe had no "bed" as such, but had a table instead. The tool rest was free standing with a sloping top . His tools were hand made from steel rod and were mostly variations of the "shepherds" hook. All his work was face plate work. The lathe he used would not handle spindles.
Jim

If you would like to see a brief video clip of the Japanese woodturning technique and setup, have a look at the first couple of minutes of this video on YouTube.com awgb seminar part 1

As with many Japanese woodworking tools (like their saws) they cut on the 'pull'..... and, I just love that quick flick across the waterstone to put an edge back on the tool :).

Neil