PDA

View Full Version : Storage - When is enough, enough?

Stuart
11th September 2007, 05:16 PM
Just added up all my current harddrive storage capacities (ignoring DVDs, CDs etc)

Came to 5680GB, so knock that down to a roundabout figure of 5TB :2tsup:

Wonder when the entire digital storage capacity in the world was 5TB? :oo::rolleyes:

wheelinround
11th September 2007, 05:32 PM
I recall asking for my PI to have a 540meg HDD put in it the computer shop guys said nah you'll never need that you'll never use it no no way.

whats a tera bite

what ever they can get their teeth into

Stuart
11th September 2007, 05:35 PM
If you gave me a 540meg drive now, I'd say that I'd never use it........WAY too small :D

I throw 4GB (even 20GB) drives into the bin - I have individual files that are twice that size.

cflake
11th September 2007, 05:38 PM
That's a LOT of p0rn Stu...

Kaiser Soze
11th September 2007, 06:01 PM
A mate of mine used to boot his computer up by inserting a floppy disk with all the RAM on it ...500Ks, half a Meg :doh:

wheelinround
11th September 2007, 06:10 PM
A mate of mine used to boot his computer up by inserting a floppy disk with all the RAM on it ...500Ks, half a Meg :doh:

In a thread Echnidna started some time back we discussed this
I still have my 5 1/4 floppy and disks to use in it as well in storage packed away a 20meg HDD as well as betweenthat and the 540meg.
I had same reaction when I went and paid $360 for a further 4meg of ram from same shop for same machine weeks after buying it.

MajorPanic
11th September 2007, 08:15 PM
Stu, basta*d!,

Beat me by a mere 800GB, I thought 4.2TB would be a decent figure but I was out done AGAIN! :B :doh: There's only 6 X 100GB drives that don't have anything on them......at the moment! :U

Harry72
11th September 2007, 10:22 PM
Why do you need 5Tb+?
Do you have an entire video shop on there or some thing?

Doughboy
11th September 2007, 10:38 PM
Enough is only enough until it is full.

5 TB or 10 TB one day we will be talking beyond these numbers easily.

lpg_falcon
11th September 2007, 10:39 PM
How do you guys backup this size in a reasonable amount of time?
What happens if you loose a whole disk?

I can only manage to backup 1Gb per minute per Tape drive.

Surely some of your 5Tb is redundant data?

Doughboy
11th September 2007, 10:44 PM
Just spoke to my neighbour and he said he has 33 TB at work but only 12 TB at home! So I guess he wins.... lmao

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th September 2007, 10:55 PM
Let's face it... HDD storage is exactly the same as wood racks in yer shed.

No matter how big you make them, they will fill quickly enough that for the next "must do, have no choice" job you will lose a day or two simply rearranging things to make room.

Simple fact of life :shrug:

Amb
12th September 2007, 12:19 AM
Let's face it... HDD storage is exactly the same as wood racks in yer shed.

No matter how big you make them, they will fill quickly enough

Except its much easier to once in a while chuck all your old stuff out on the computer, the stuff in your shed no way, you may need that one day, it doesn't age, unlike pc stuff.

bigAl
12th September 2007, 03:50 PM
I work from Home presently and I'm doing jobs for a few companies with large databases. Including both NAS and (believe it or not) the SAN there's a little over 400tb in here at present. Plenty of room for the MP3 collection although I'm a little concerned about radiation from the spare bedroom and cleaning up sawdust in the garage has become a little more pressing...:2tsup:

bsrlee
13th September 2007, 11:47 PM
These days most people I know just backup ALL their storage unto USB hard drives - it is extreeeeemely unlikely that both drives will go at the same time, and you can always unplug the USB drive & run in event of natural disaster - zip seal plastic bags are your friend :U

Stuart
15th September 2007, 02:30 AM
Why do you need 5Tb+?
Do you have an entire video shop on there or some thing?
Mainly video editing, and backup.

I have one main working drive that holds pretty much all my work, historical files, photo collection (I shoot raw these days (no...not "in the raw") and that's 8MB each push of the button), etc etc. That's 750GB, with a second 750GB as backup. My current computer is 100GB, and I have a 200GB drive backing that up (archives deleted files, which I don't want to have to purge continuously, so the extra space is useful there).. So where's that to....1.8TB

I've just added a 1.5TB Maxtor external which is holding work in progress, and temp files etc - it has 900GB spare space on it (I didn't say my storage was full, jut that it exists!)

So that's now 3.3TB. Another 1.5TB spread over 6 drives - I'm thinking of setting them all up as RAID0, so they can be backup for the 1.5TB Maxtor, so now that's 4.8TB. And finally, the last 800GB is smaller drives here and there.

I can easily shoot 30GB of footage from a single video session (2 cameras, 1 hour each). This quickly grows to 80-100GB when editing (temp files, rendered sequences etc). The final may only be 4GB (ie single DVD), but the uncompressed footage takes SPACE.

At the moment, I have 1 Stu's Shed video (30 mins x 2 cameras), 2 marketing videos (for the Faculty) (20 mins + 15 mins), 1 Faculty of Arts Public Lecture (90 mins x 2 cameras) all in the various stages of editing, and all that takes a lot of (temporary) storage. :cool:

Harry72
15th September 2007, 01:46 PM
Yup I thought it must be something to do with video editing, there's not much else that needs that much space on a single machine.
I guess at work we have about 400 HP PC's with 120gb drives so as a network we have around 48Tb not including the main servers or the other sites owned by our company(Nyrstar, formally Zinifex)