PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof shelf in shower - laminex?

Giesse
11th September 2007, 07:11 PM
I am doing a bathroom reno on the cheap. I don't want to spend the money on a fancy roll-top bench for the vanity, so I'm going to use laminex (should look fine).

The shower recess is 900 x 1500mm, with a 900 x 1200mm shower base at one end. At the other end, the wall comes up from the shower base until it reaches the height of the vanity, at which point there is a shelf which takes up the extra 300mm. See below:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q154/giesse/Bathroom.jpg

The vanity will be located beside the shower recess. It is 300mm deep and will basically continue the lines of the shelf in the shower. My intention is to use a nice black marble-like laminex for the vanity top and I was planning to use this on the shelf in the shower as well, so that it looks like one long bench which continues into the shower. The shower door is clear so it will be completely visible as you enter the bathroom.

My issue is this....

Although I have completely waterproofed the area under the shelf, I believe that laminex will not stand up to being used in this way. Apparently the top surface will be fine, but if the backing of the laminex were to get wet it would probably swell and be ruined.

I was thinking that maybe I could spray a good coating of some polyurethane over the laminex to waterproof it and protect it.

Has anyone tried this before? Or... does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use? Remember, I need to do this on the cheap, so black marble isn't an option.... :no:

I could just use some black tiles, maybe even with a similar marble pattern, but I'd like it to match the vanity top if I can do it cheaply.

woodbe
11th September 2007, 07:32 PM
I know you said 'on the cheap' but one of the solid benchtop materials like Corian or even Glass would be better in this application than Laminex.

I guess the other thing to do would be to apply the Laminex to something waterproof for the shower side. The waterproof chipboard is good, but it won't hold up to that sort of treatment. Cement sheet?

Anyway, good that you are thinking of this before the job is finished... :)

woodbe.

Sybarite
11th September 2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with woodbe,

A laminated surface is not the best material for this job.

As you suggested, it is not the laminate that is the problem but the substrate - which needs to be 100% water proof, not just water resistant...and then you still have the potential that water seepage will break down the glue you have used to bond the laminate onto the sheet with.

And polyuretahne probably won't stick to your laminate very well, so might not be the answer in this case

But the poly concept did give me an idea - how about somthing like formply (nice black surface) with a few hits of polyurethane?

Cheers,

Giesse
12th September 2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been reading about Corian, and it sounds like it might be good. I'd have to use the thinnest variety (1/4"), but that would be fine. It seems to be waterproof, so that would do the job. I don't need much of it, so I'd probably have to find someone that had the colour I want and could sell me some offcuts. I have no idea where I'd start looking for it, though.

As to what's underneath, I have a cement sheet shelf which is very well waterproofed both above and below the cement sheet, so I have no problem with the foundation. My only concern is that whatever material I use for the top surface doesn't get water-damaged. If I could waterproof the laminex I'd be fine, but there has to be at least one exposed surface at the front edge and that may be the killer.

I'm not sure how much the corian will cost. I think glass will be too expensive - that's where I thought laminex might be the go.

I don't think water would get to the glue, but it may seep into the edge of the laminex. That's where some soft of plastic sheeting would be good (like corian)

Maybe I should start hunting down some corian offcuts :U

Dirty Doogie
12th September 2007, 03:25 PM
Lamipanel and laminex could simply be glued straight over the substrate of the shelf if it is smooth. Dont worry about putting the laminex on any sort of board or backing.

You would need to ensure that the glue you use to bed the laminex down is compatible with the waterproofing you used on the shelf. You may be able to use the water proofing agent as glue.

When you put the laminex veneer down allow an overhang to cover tile edges on the wall coming up to the shelf and tile the back wall after the laminex shelf is down.

Giesse
12th September 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

Ultimately, we finished up buying some very nice black tiles, 316mm square, which we'll use to do both the ensuite AND the vanity top (no laminex at all).

They were cheaper than laminex and much more ritzy :) And with the semi-recessed basin in the vanity (and black grout), you'll hardly even see the small joins at the back between the tiles.

All up, $18 for all the tiles - can't complain about that!