PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast or Carba-Tec MC1100

Daniel
27th September 2003, 11:45 PM
I have been looking at lathes for a little while now and accasionally use a Woodfast lathe.

Now I was wondering if I was better off buying.

(1) A disused 20 year old plus woodfast that has not done a lot of work, but will still needs the 3 phase motor change over.

(2) Or buying one of those new chinese Mc1100 lathes from Cara-Tech.

The woodfast may be a bit cheaper converted but not by much, the going price for the Mc 1100 is $599.

Daniel :)

gatiep
28th September 2003, 12:05 AM
I really believe you are the only person that can answer that. I can only give you my view but ultimately you have to weigh up the pros and cons and spend your bucks.

I hava a Carbatec MC900 and I have worked often on a MC1100 which I find quite adequate. It has a M30 x 3,5 MT2 Spindle which is in keeping with the modern trend. It has a 1 hp motor with variable speed from 500 to 2000 without having to change belts etc. It has a warranty.

On the older lathe you'll have to replace the motor and probably have to modify the mountings and switching and on top of it you'll have to change belts all the time to change the speeds.

These are just my thoughts on it.

Have fun..........................keep turning

Jim Carroll
28th September 2003, 06:31 PM
You have only one option as I can see it . The woodfast lathe is a far superior built machine that will outlast your lifetime and spending a few dollars converting it to single phase will give you a lathe that will out perform any chinese lathe. If you decide to go the chinese way you may regret your decision down the track. If you have read posts for these lathes you will find quite a few short comings. Buy the lathe spend another $1050 on a new set up that gives you variable electronic variable speed and have a lathe that you can pass onto your children.
Come to the Melbourne Wood show next weekend and I can show you the VS unit.And have a look at what else is available to get a better overview.
This is my humble opinion :)

Baz
28th September 2003, 08:22 PM
Gotta agree with Jim.
Cheers
Barry

Rustic
29th September 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
I have been looking at lathes for a little while now and accasionally use a Woodfast lathe.

(1) A disused 20 year old plus woodfast that has not done a lot of work, but will still needs the 3 phase motor change over.

The woodfast may be a bit cheaper converted but not by much, the going price for the Mc 1100 is $599.

Rustic
29th September 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Daniel

Daniel, I have an old Woodfast lathe and also a Carba Tech MC900. The Woodfast Lathe is by far the best piece of machinery and will last forever. The Carba Tech on the other hand has a multi directional head stock for outboard turning but I must say I use the Woodfast 99.9% of the time, it is rigid and accurate. It may be cheaper to have three phase put in your box rather than buy another motor, which is what I did. Kind Regards Sid

Rebus
29th September 2003, 07:52 PM
Greetings,

I have a Woodfast which I find to be an excellent machine. I bought it second hand (it was made in about 1980) and I have no doubt that it will outlast me and will still be worth a reasonable sum even then. The cheaper lathes are all built to a price, not to a level of quality.

Just one thing which seems to have been overlooked: If you go for a variable speed control (which can be purchased from a number of suppliers - prices seem to range from $300 or $400 up to $700/$800) you will need a 3 phase motor. All of the variable speed controls that I have seen take single phase input (your normal 3 pin plug) and produce a 3 phase output.

With a variable speed control you can use the current motor and get the best of both worlds.

Regards