PDA

View Full Version : how to spot a gum?

brynk
13th September 2007, 10:31 AM
gday all

i was wondering if people could please point me to info & photos on how to tell the different species of gum & other aussie hardwoods apart?
(that is, while they're still standing :wink:) - what is your favourite website on this topic? maybe a book you find indispensable?

i found wikipedia a good start (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus)

thanks
(by the way, pardon the atrocious pun, but it was there for the beggin... :U)

Big Shed
13th September 2007, 10:35 AM
gday all

i was wondering if people could please point me to info & photos on how to tell the different species of gum & other aussie hardwoods apart?
(that is, while they're still standing :wink:) - what is your favourite website on this topic? maybe a book you find indispensable?

i found wikipedia a good start (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus)

thanks
(by the way, pardon the atrocious pun, but it was there for the beggin... :U)

OK, I'll play the game

Some gums spot themselves:U

Gags_17
13th September 2007, 11:08 AM
lol not sure if im playing the same game here but is the snwer "spotted gum"

flynnsart
13th September 2007, 03:38 PM
There is a csiro published book called Forest trees of australia which isquitegood...oopsdroppedmycoffeeonmykeypadandspacebarhasstoppedworking:p

Bleedin Thumb
13th September 2007, 06:20 PM
I've got a feeling Forest trees of Australia may be out of print, someone should know.

Brooker & Kleing's Field guide to Eucalypts Vol 1 -3 is good but I don't know if its been updated since all the changes in nomenclature.

brynk
14th September 2007, 09:21 AM
thanks for the tips so far.

i found this website last night which has a few more photos for the various species... http://www.forestryimages.org/treesplants.cfm

Tonyz
18th September 2007, 01:52 PM
"I see you, I see you." there I just spotted one.

brynk
27th September 2007, 05:16 PM
i found another resource in my old man's book-cupboard, squirrelled away up the back, next to the stack of national geo's from the 70's... Eucalypts Volume 1, by Stan Kelly. This book is great because it shows detailed pictures of the flowers of some 250 eucalypts, and a brief description of the trees & timber colour. unfortunately it has no pictures of the barks. Stan also makes a reference to Volume 2 in the blurb on the cover, however dad was saying that he thought he had it & that it was lost by mum, then mum said no, you've never had it. (during the ensuing blue i found the information i was specifically looking for, the tree out the front is a red-ironbark). the end result was that dad never did have volume 2 & that they could not find it. anyway, i still search for a reference which allows you to determine eucalypt & other hardwoods by their barks... i eagerly await your corny dog jokes :U

echnidna
27th September 2007, 05:33 PM
bark, leaves, flowers, gumnuts etc etc are all used for identification.

rsser
29th September 2007, 11:40 AM
Forest Trees of Australia can be found in 2nd hand bookshops inc. web shops.