PDA

View Full Version : brass sheet/bar for fittings

TK1
13th September 2007, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I want to make a rudder and mounting brackets for my kayak from brass...putting a plastic one on a wood kayak just doesn't seem right.

So, does anyone know where I can get thin (1 - 3mm thick) brass sheet or bar to make fittings and the rudde from? I know I can get small sheets from hobby stores, but not sure if this is the same grade as for marine use.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren

jmk89
13th September 2007, 05:08 PM
Try this guy on eBay (http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&frpp=25&from=R10&satitle=brass&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=2000&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=offcuts.galore&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=) - I have bought stuff from him and he is pretty good.

DJ’s Timber
13th September 2007, 05:11 PM
Darren give George White & Co (http://www.georgewhite.com.au) a go

bitingmidge
13th September 2007, 06:14 PM
George Weston and sons in Brisbane too.

cheers,

P
:D

TK1
13th September 2007, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies..I should be able to find what I need from these three suppliers.

Regards,
Darren

arose62
9th October 2007, 07:33 AM
my local Bunnings has reduced most of their brass stock to well under half price. Seems no-one is buying it, so they want to get rid of it.

I grabbed some 3 (or 4)mm x 60 x 1.2m for $8. I'm sure I'll find a use for it in the future...

They also had various angle stock.

Cheers,
Andrew

Boatmik
9th October 2007, 09:40 AM
Howdy,

Be careful with this - brass is not reliable in a salt water environment. Bronze is what is used. There is also Naval Brass - which is a special blend used for bells and bright bits.

The problem is that brass is an alloy of zinc and copper which are miles apart on the electrolytic scale - so it forms a battery with itself and the zinc gets eaten up leaving behind a weak copper matrix.

Looks the same - but no strength - so it will fail with no warning. Possible tolerable on a kayak that goes on the odd paddle, but if doing anything more serious I would avoid the brass.

Brass is OK as an anti chafe strip or as protection for the bottom of the boat - the copper can do that job fine.

Best wishes
MIK

TK1
16th October 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Thanks Mik...hadn't thought of that :doh:

The kayak will be mainly in fresh water, and washed down after use, but perhaps to be safe I'll go with bronze if I can get it in bars and sheets. I know a couple of companies do boat fittings out here in bronze so may try them.

So, to revise my question...if you or anyone knows a supplier of bronze sheet and bar stock, I'd be interested.

Would a kayak rudder made of bronze be sturdy enough? i.e. does a flat sheet of bronze, maybe 3-5mm thick and 300 x 10mm l x w have rigidity similar to brass?

Thanks,
Darren

Ashore
16th October 2007, 11:21 AM
Try ( take a cut lunch ) Blackwoods their web site will tell you if they have it or not :cool:

Eli
17th October 2007, 10:48 PM
Darren-
You don't like the carbon fiber rudders at all? What plan are you going to build your stripper from? I like Nick Schade's Guillemot for my first.

I wouldn't make the entire rudder of bronze. The lateral stress would definitely be enough to bend it/crack something in the thickness you're talking about. Probably would be way too heavy to raise and lower when you were on the water as well.

Unless you're sailing or loading it up with camping gear, I haven't used any kayaks that couldn't be managed with just a paddle. I didn't like the one I had with a rudder. Just another thing to go wrong if you ask me.

(which to be fair, you really didn't ask me):;

If you want a rudder that isn't plastic or fiber, why not make it from wood and glass it like the rest of the boat. You can make the pintles/gudgeons from glassed wood and use stainless rod and corresponding tube for the bearing surfaces. Look for the wooden surfboard fins guys have done, they are beautiful.

or, try this:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/canoe/index.htm

TK1
18th October 2007, 10:08 AM
Hi Eli,

Hope you had fun at the Wood show - great to mee toyu briefly. I had to go home before I ran out of money :-

I don't mind the carbon fibre and alumnium rudders, I was just looking at other options and as I like clasic speedboats too, I got thinking that a brass/bronze rudder would look great on a wood kayak. But i hadn't spent much time on anything but athsetics :rolleyes: so having been reminded about weight and strength, I think carbon fibre or maybe a wood one will be the way to go. And I like to make my own components, so it had that appeal.

I may make one as an experiment for a fresh-water race kayak, but one I can swap for something else if need be.

Wil let you know how I go (when I get up to the rudder bit...)

Regards,
Darren