PDA

View Full Version : Timber milling in Perth?

Knight_of_Ni
13th September 2007, 05:40 PM
I have a couple of standing trees, one cape lilac and one pine (radiata I think), on a block that is to be cleared.

The pine tree in particular looks worth milling. It is around 70cm diameter at it base, and is reasonably thick for at least 15-20m. It is around 40 years old.

The lilac is not tall, but has some very think limbs and trunk - not sure how solid it would be inside?

I was wodering if there is anyone in Perth who would want to mill this timber - in return for part of the finished product.

Is it worth anyones while?

Alternatively, if I cut the tress down myself, is there a mill I could take them to?

Thanks in advance (long time lurker - 1st question - love this forum...)

BobL
13th September 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi K-o-N, welcome aboard.

Is it worth anyones while?

The hard truth is, probably not, but someone more local may pick this up.

BTW, I was born in Pemby, my dad was a hard core axeman in the 1950's. I get back there a couple of times a year usually to visit local vineyards.

Cheers

Burnsy
13th September 2007, 10:20 PM
I noticed a mill (maybe Lucas) set up with a makeshift lean to and yard on the left on the way into Pemby a few weeks ago. Looked like it was a permanent fixture based on the amount of sawdust surrounding it, can't remember what road it was on or if it was near a house, just caught a glimpse as the school camp bus wizzed past. I may have a contact of a guy who has a mill there, heard a whisper that he had one but never asked as I was a little pre-occupied. I will drop him an email tomorrow and find out.

Cheers,
Mike

West OZ Mark
13th September 2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Night of Ni,

Not sure if you are interested but I do portable milling in Bridgtown and surounding areas so being a neibour if you were interested I could give you a price on milling the logs and a bit of an idea of quantitys of timber you would get in return.

I dont have much call for pine or Lilac so trade is not a option for me.

Otherwise you could give Noel at Greenacres Mill in Yournup or Middelsex mill in Manjimup a call and they could help you out.

....Mark

Knight_of_Ni
15th September 2007, 12:48 AM
I am in Pemberton (part of the time) but the block in question is in Perth.

Hence the title of the thread...

Would there be more options up in the big smoke?

Cheers,

West OZ Mark
15th September 2007, 02:37 AM
Ah got you now. My mistake:doh:

Dont know anyone in Perth that does portable milling but you could give Lucas Mills http://lucasmill.com/ a call as they have a list of contractors and they could put you onto someone in the Perth area.

I sold a mill to a Perth bloke 12 months ago but Im sure he has sold it on since. Will ask

....Mark

zbigniew
17th September 2007, 12:13 AM
I have a lucus mill and can do logs on a share of the timber basis for anyone in Perth. PM me if you want contact details.

jocelynp
7th September 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi I saw an old entry of yours from 2005. We have 5 acres in Bedfordale that the building envelope is soon to be cleared. I am trying to investigate the option of having the Jarrah's milled suitanle for floorboards? Is that a possibility.

Burnsy
7th September 2009, 11:30 PM
I am interested jocelynp, PM sent with contact details.

Cheers,
Mike

Danielle
8th September 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone

My partner and I have just purchased some acres in Chidlow. The building envelope has a few smaller trees and one large one (Wandoo?? - not alive, marked by a previous bushfire) which we would love to recycle.

We're hoping that someone would be interested in milling these for us for part share in the product (or cash if you are not interested in product).

If you are interested, could you please send me a PM so we could tee it up?

Thanks everyone.

Burnsy
9th September 2009, 11:46 AM
PM sent Danielle, will be out your way this weekend and can drop by to have a look at it.

Mike

Sigidi
11th September 2009, 09:11 AM
Go Mike, you're a machine:2tsup:

bertk
24th August 2010, 04:36 PM
Hi
I saw your thread while doing an internet search for portable saw mills. I have around 6 large logs from an area 30 minutes from Perth that has been cleared by developers. I'm searching for someone with a portable mill that is interested in helping me slab them for a fee or share of the timber. More details can be supplied if anyone out there is keen. Send me a line or email and I'll get back to you

Cheers
Bert

nifty
24th August 2010, 06:43 PM
PM Milwise, thats his forum name, hes up that way and could probably help you out, im too far away. Welcome aboard by the way

mudley
24th August 2010, 07:05 PM
Hi all name this way is chris i have a mill it will slab 900 wide and also have a lucas that will do 1500 wide not portable and based in pinjarra i do have a small truck i can move things with and i also have a kiln for drying and four sided moulder for flooring or any thing else you need. PM me if you want a chat
thanks
cnris

bertk
25th August 2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you for the info Nifty and I will try and contact Milwise.
bertk

bertk
25th August 2010, 12:09 AM
Hello Chris
Could you please give me a call on 0402 847 697. I would like to chat.
Regards
Bert

milwise
25th August 2010, 12:13 AM
PM sent Bert
Cheers

Marri1
23rd March 2016, 02:09 PM
I have a lucus mill and can do logs on a share of the timber basis for anyone in Perth. PM me if you want contact details.

Hi,

Would you be interested in milling some slabs for me with the remainder of the wood being used for payment. It was an old Marri tree that has been cut into 10-20 slabs. I don't need much of the wood.
Some are 6m long and others are 3m. The narrowest 1m and widest 1.2m. The depths are 80-90mm. I would like to make 3 bench seat tops (460mm x 960mm x 30mm for one and then two 450mm x 1300mm x 30mm), table top (775mm x 1300mm x 30 or 40mm), study table slab (3.1ms x 600mm x 30mm).

Thanks, Tessa