PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Requirements !

351shaker
14th September 2007, 02:59 PM
Hi,
I recently posted a thread re : New or Second hand laptop ! Thanks to all for their advice, this is a continuation of that thread !
I currently have Broadband access with 'Internode' on my Desktop PC which is a great ISP, No problems. My modem is an external ADSL 'Speed stream' unit.
I would like to know what is required to hookup & access a Broadband account with a laptop so access is possible at home and on the road. Are there special cards or aerial that don't normally come with a laptop, or are these items required separately ? It will basically be used for home use surfing the net, general downloads (not movies) the odd music track and auction outlets (ebay, graysonline) etc. If these items are not generally included what approximate costs are involved ?
Any advice would be appreciated !
Dennis.

Ianab
14th September 2007, 05:16 PM
I dont know what the ADSL box you have is.. but if it connects to your PC via the Ethernet Cat5 port then it's PROBABLY a router that will support multiple PCs. In that case you just need a small network switch and a couple of extra patch leads. Both PCs will be able to access the router via the switch and be onlne at the same time.

If the ADSL box connects via the USB port only... swap it out for one with Cat 5 connections. You can buy one that has a 4 port network switch built in.

If your laptop has wireless networking built in then you can add a wireless access point to your network, so you should be able to connect anywhere in your house. A wired connection is cheaper, easier and more reliable though

To connect when you are away from home you probably need to go with a Cellular card that plugs into the laptop. Not sure what your options are in Aussie, but Vodaphone sell them here in NZ. A more expensive connection than ADSL, but works anyplace you have cellphone coverage.

Cheers

Ian

PenTurner
14th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Dennis, what Ian said, around the house you can connect in, but on the road you will need to talk to your Service provider and buy that type of provision. Amos

Groggy
14th September 2007, 09:16 PM
Dennis, I hit the road a fair bit and use a variety of connections. My home account is Internode and it comes with 10 hours of free dial up per month included.

Hotel connections are sometimes free but if they charge it can be lethal. Also, I have recently been trialling 3G and I am VERY impressed with the speed (7.5 Mb/s) but it varies down to dialup speeds depending on location. The drawback of course is the cost ($39) and limited download allowance per month at the entry level (1GB). I expect 3G to slow down as the network gets congested.