PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne www's 2007 entry price

Sir Stinkalot
14th September 2007, 11:06 PM
It seems somewhat odd that the huge write up in the latest issue of The Australian Woodworker (spanning 5 pages) didn't mention the entry price for this years show. The previous edition listed the prices for both Canberra and Adelaide.

It was mentioned last night at our club meeting that the price had increased from last year which was a concern for quite alot of members (most retired) ..... particularly given the increase in non-woodwork displays over the past few years. Most of the older members already have all their equipment so attending the show to get a good deal doesn't really appeal, and given most of the exhibitors have their sale before the show to capture the show dollars early it takes out the bargin aspect of the show.

To give credit to the wwws there seems to be an increase in seminars this year so perhaps an increase in price can be justified, time will tell. With any luck the pa system will be improved over previous years so the demonstrators to not have to compete with the super dooper over head roller painter seller.

Personally I am not really concerned over the increase in price. Annual increases seem to be an everyday occurance as costs rise. It is just an observation that it seems odd to have 5 full pages and not include a price .....

Tonyz
15th September 2007, 10:10 PM
[

With any luck the pa system will be improved over previous years so the demonstrators to not have to compete with the super dooper over head roller painter seller.

You mean super pooper dont you Sir Stinky :wink:

Big Shed
15th September 2007, 10:18 PM
So what did it go up to, $17, from $15 from memory?

A whole extra $2, can't even buy a bad cup of coffee for that!

As a self funded retiree obviously money is not as plentiful as it once was:(, but the $17 entry is only a small part of the cost of going to the WWWS.
Living in Bendigo, there is the cost of the car trip, about 400km round trip, the cost of parking. I won't count lunch as we bring that, not necessarily to save money, but at least I don't have to eat the unappetising cr*p that passes for food at these events.

So adding an extra $2 to that lot, or $4 as SWMBO enjoys the show as much as I do, is not going to be part of the decision making process.

Of much more concern is the increasing tendency for the major equipment suppliers not to be there, taking away one of the reasons for going, comparing equipment in one place very quickly.

Geoff Dean
17th September 2007, 08:56 AM
As this will be my first show, I can't compare to previous, but $17 sound like real good value to me.

I have decide to come down by train, $56 1st class return from Wodonga. I cant run the car down and park it for that, plus I can have a few beers and not have to worry about driving home.:D

I will be using the show to compare different table saws, jointers, Dust Collectors and Bandsaws, as next year I will be purchasing all of these items.

The opportunity to be able to compare all brands that I am looking at, at the one venue, rather than spending 2 days in Melb running from shop to shop is well worth the expense to me. And a whole lot cheaper.:2tsup:

Sounds like I had better bring some sandwiches down, haven't heard a good word yet about the food.:(

Big Shed
18th September 2007, 04:11 PM
Just came back from the post office and among the mail is the latest RACV mag, page 18 "Save at Timber Show"

RACV members $10, concession/pensioners $8, children under 14 free

So, quite a saving on the normal $17 entry:2tsup:

Thank you RACV and organisers.

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2007, 08:40 PM
Don't forget that you can also get an discount thru the forums as well, ubeaut usually lets us know when and how. From memory last year was $9, so if there is a price rise, that would be pretty much the same as the RACV discount too

rsser
22nd September 2007, 09:46 PM
Just came back from the post office and among the mail is the latest RACV mag, page 18 "Save at Timber Show"

RACV members $10, concession/pensioners $8, children under 14 free

So, quite a saving on the normal $17 entry:2tsup:

Thank you RACV and organisers.

Missed that Fred.

Do you recall whether it's actually show and save or call to pre-purchase as the WWW website indicates?

Sir Stinkalot
22nd September 2007, 09:55 PM
Pre-purchase .... perhaps check the RACV site ..... I have thrown out my copy of the Royal Auto.

Big Shed
22nd September 2007, 09:57 PM
Missed that Fred.

Do you recall whether it's actually show and save or call to pre-purchase as the WWW website indicates?

RACV mag says you can pre-purchase tickets by ringing 8420 5404 or www.workingwithwood.com, but it doesn't say that you have to pre-purchase.

I presented my RACV card at the show last year and got the discount, but they would only give me one discount per RACV card, this year it says there is no limit to the number of tickets purchased per RACV membership.

Maybe a phone call would be best Ern.

Shame I'm not a pensioner, they get in for $8!

rsser
23rd September 2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks Fred and SS.

Sturdee
23rd September 2007, 11:04 AM
I was told that it is a prepaid service only and not available on the day.

Peter.

Red_B'
15th October 2007, 04:45 PM
I went on the Friday. Paid for two people and received an RACV discount for one of them (paid $10) and a pensioner rate of $13. If I'd taken my dear old mum who I care for I would have got in for nothing and she would have paid $10.
So it pays to look around your environment and do the best you can for yourself coz nobody else will. Don't exclude uncharted avenues because YOU think they will be fruitless. What's that phrase....Seek and ye shall find.....?