PDA

View Full Version : Help !

cockatoodreamer
30th September 2001, 06:09 PM
Hi there -

I'm in the process of restoring my 1930's antique victotian ash daybed. (Some people tell me vic ash is also known as tassi oak and others tell me its messmate - is it?)
I don't know much about working with wood yet - it's just another facet of my craft as an artist that I am exploring.
Anyway, I've got it all strippped back and sanded until its smooth and silky and I've remade the bed with a lift out slat base. Now comes my dilemma - I want to use it as a couch on my front verandah - exposed to the sun and rain.
What sort of finish do I use? Do I have to stain it first? (I really dont want to - the white timber is stunning) Should I use a marine clear? ????
I also didnt realize that wood dust is such a problem and have been blithely sanding away with nothing but a much folded silk scarf over my nose and mouth. Yeah......I know.....I'm an idiot. What should I use?
I also paint a lot of table tops and could use some tips on finishes....

Iain
30th September 2001, 06:24 PM
Dust, use a well fitting respirator, the green rubbery things with one or two cartridges on them or suffer the consequences which are anything but pleasant.
Available at most good hardware outlets.
I'll let someone else help you with the finish.
PLEASE.............Don't breath in any more dust, even use one of those paper masks as a last resort but a proper respirator is the better option.

Shane Watson
30th September 2001, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by cockatoodreamer:

I'm in the process of restoring my 1930's antique victotian ash daybed.

Its not an antique until its over 100yrs old. If you intend to use it outdoors & it will be exposed to the sun & rain, then there ain't much you can do to protect it. It will eventually deteriorate. Outdoor furniture is designed for outdoor use, therfore the construction, timber & materials used will last the punishment from mothernature for a wee while & without proper regular maintance outdoor furniture will also deteriorate. IMHO I wouldn't recommend what your planning.

Cheers!

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

ubeaut
1st October 2001, 12:55 AM
G'day Cock(I too lazy to type the rest so Cock'll have ta do)

Have to agree wholeheartedly with with Iain & Shane. If you really MUST have it outside try and put it in a place that gives as much protection from the elements as possible. Coat with any, good, outdoor clear finish following the instructions to the letter (Sickins have a real good one but pretty expensive). The joints will probably come apart before too long if too much moisture is allowed to get to them.

As for the dust CLICK HERE (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm)

This about Tas Oak (Vic Ash) is from an earlier post in the General Woodwork Forum:

By the way the only trueism in the name of the timber Tasmanian Oak is that some of it comes from Tasmania. It comes from 3 species of tree: Eucalyptus delegatensis, Eucalyptus obliqua, and Eucalyptus regnas.

It is also known by the following common names: Alpine Ash, Australian Oak, Blue Leaf, Brown-top, Brown-top Stringybark, Gum-topped Stringybark, Messmate, Messmate Stringybark, Mountain Ash, Mountain White Gum, Stringybark, Narrow-leaved Stringybark, White-top, White-top Stringybark, Stringy Gum, Swamp Gum, Victorian Ash, White Mountain Ash and Woolybutt.

Work that one out.

Personally, I really like the last name and think it should all be called that. Can you imagine this. "Can I help you madame?" "Yes. What timber is that table made with?" "Woolybutt" "EXCUSE ME?!!!" "Woolybutt." "Listen young man there's no need to get personal. Just because I have a little hormonal hair doesn't mean........." http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif This is about the spot that Shane wood put in a (Mwaaahahahah)

Sorry - got a bit carried away there.

The above info is from a pretty rare book called Checklist of Australian Trees by the late Peter J Robson.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS 1930's (old furniture) - pre 1901 Antique...... unless you live in England then it's just old furniture pre 1601 Antique. Or something like that.

cockatoodreamer
1st October 2001, 12:34 PM
Thank you all for your advice !
Marg