PDA

View Full Version : Curved-front cabinet

Rocker
1st October 2003, 05:51 PM
This design is from Fine Woodworking #163. The timbers are Cherry and Jarrah, with ebony pulls. I made it to get some practice in coopering a door panel, and it makes a nice bedside cabinet in our guestroom.

Dan
1st October 2003, 09:35 PM
G'day Rocker,

Nice effect on the draw fronts from the combination of flat sawn boards and the curve.

Dan

ryanarcher
4th June 2005, 02:35 AM
Beutiful work Rocker! I just thought I'd reply to bring this thread up to the front again. It's so nice that everyone deserves to see it!

do you still have it? any chance of some close ups- say of the door, drawers, and joinery?

-Ryan

Rocker
4th June 2005, 07:27 AM
Ryan,

I will see what I can do. But I am afraid Major will get after me for the poor quality of my photographic efforts, and the fact that it is finished in polyurethane rather than nitro-cellulose lacquer :rolleyes:

Rocker

matt1245
4th June 2005, 07:59 AM
Fantastic looking piece Rocker, puts my table to shame.

Matt.

BobR
4th June 2005, 09:18 AM
Nice work Rocker. I too would like some more photos.

Rocker
4th June 2005, 09:35 AM
Here are some close-up pictures. I am afraid they show up a few flaws on close examination.

Rocker

ryanarcher
4th June 2005, 09:40 AM
Sure looks great to me! nice place you live too! :)

Bob Willson
4th June 2005, 10:02 AM
Sure looks great to me! nice place you live too!

What? In a driveway? :)

ryanarcher
4th June 2005, 01:11 PM
What? In a driveway? :)

No silly, In a cabinet! Duh! :rolleyes:

adrian
4th June 2005, 04:09 PM
Here are some close-up pictures. I am afraid they show up a few flaws on close examination.

Rocker
They are not called flaws.....................it's called character.
Nice job.

MajorPanic
4th June 2005, 06:25 PM
Great work Rocker!! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

How long do ya think it took ya? (excluding the finishing :p)

Your photographic efforts are well on the way to being a pro Rocker! ;) :D :D :D

Al B
4th June 2005, 07:43 PM
Really nice piece Rocker, Excellent work.

JackG
4th June 2005, 09:14 PM
Looks very good, As Dan mentioned, the effect of the backsawn timber on the drawers is spectacular.

Is the front panel curved ? how did you do it ?

Not that I am in a position to give you many tips but unless it is an effect of the photo, it seems that you have used some putty in the top right corner of the door. I have found out that if you use darker putty than the timber rather than lighter it is less apparent to the eye.

Cheers

Rocker
4th June 2005, 11:22 PM
Jack,

The 'putty' you refer to is one of the flaws I mentioned above. I failed to thoroughly clean away all the squeeze-out of yellow glue on that joint, and varnishing with polyurethane made the glue stain stand out like the proverbial canine genitalia.

The door panel is curved by coopering several 50 mm wide staves together. Its top and bottom edges have a curved tongue fitting into curved grooves in the top and bottom rails.

Rocker

Soren
4th June 2005, 11:23 PM
.... I made it to get some practice in coopering a door panel, and it makes a nice bedside cabinet in our guestroom.

Rocker

I think it looks really good, and if you want more practice, I'll send you some timber, then when you have finished practicing, you can send the finished articles back :D :rolleyes: :D

DPB
5th June 2005, 10:16 AM

Rocker
Rocker, actually, these close-ups inspire me.

I was beginning to think that it was only me that made projects with minor flaws.:p I see you, too, occasionally have to use a little filler where joints aren't quite right. And I admire your honesty, Rocker. You could have fixed those minor blemishes photographically.;)

Lovely project, by the way!:)

PS: I will try your fix for my rocking chair when I return from my OS trip.

Bob Willson
5th June 2005, 10:30 AM
I was beginning to think that it was only me that made projects with minor flaws.:p

You obviously failed to read my sig then. :(

Rocker
5th June 2005, 11:44 AM
Don,

The joint itself was fine; it was just that I didn't clean up the glue properly before applying the finish.

Major,

I am afraid I can't remember how long it took to make the cabinet - it was 18 months ago. And, anyway, when you are retired, time does not really matter too much :)

Rocker

Different
5th June 2005, 11:18 PM
Good job I was going to ask about the door construction but the 2nd lot of pics made it clear that the top and bottom rails were cut curved from a solid and the panel coopered. Well Done!!

Ross

MajorPanic
5th June 2005, 11:41 PM
I am afraid I can't remember how long it took.....And, anyway, when you are retired, time does not really matter too much :)

Grumble, mutter, grumble...... Lucky Bugger!!......... mutter, grumble, mutter. :p

DPB
6th June 2005, 09:29 AM
Don,

And, anyway, when you are retired, time does not really matter too much :)

RockerI like your attitude, Rocker. It's different from mine. I put it this way, "Now that I'm retired, I better make the most of my time, it's a diminishing resource!":D