PDA

View Full Version : sandalwood

aaron.aafjes
16th September 2007, 08:24 PM
sandalwood investment in western australia? the fees and the yeild / return seem very low and risky for such a long term investment. i could probably buy a block of land out west and plant my own saplings and maintain for a whole lot larger profit over that time...... suggestions, comments and explanations invited......

Polyploid
8th July 2009, 10:48 AM
There was a study commissioned by WA forestry that found most MIS sandlewood under performing.

MAPLEMAN
9th July 2009, 05:38 PM
sandalwood investment in western australia? the fees and the yeild / return seem very low and risky for such a long term investment. i could probably buy a block of land out west and plant my own saplings and maintain for a whole lot larger profit over that time...... suggestions, comments and explanations invited......
Why not consider African Mahogany{Khaya species] as the host for the sandalwood?Maybe Chukrasia species would be suitable in tropical W.A as well !:2tsup:Mapleman

fpcwa
2nd November 2009, 01:58 AM

If you're looking at opportunities in Sandalwood, or other integrated tree plantings - then give your local FPC office a call for information on our Strategic Tree Farming offerings (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/tree_farming/Default.aspx).

The available tree farming packages and species planted will vary from area to area, and depend on factors including location and soil condition. Sandalwood is one of the many tree species we plant, and the process we go through with interested landholders will determine if this is a viable species for your chosen property.

There was a study commissioned by WA forestry that found most MIS sandlewood under performing.

I'm not aware of that study Polyploid. Do you know the title of the study or some further information on it, and I'll get back to you on this.

A full industry development plan for sandalwood (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/industry_plans/plans.aspx) (IDP) in WA was launched in 2008 with the full participation and cooperation of industry groups and stakeholders.

The IDP notes that prices for more valuable sandalwood species with higher oil content have escalated rapidly in the last 15 years in response to a steady decline in supply, which owes to a series of cultural and geographic influences in their countries of origin. While synthetics have entered the market for lower-value end uses, there is a strong cultural attachment to and preference for natural products in the main overseas market outlets.

kimtree
17th November 2009, 11:43 PM
Why not consider African Mahogany{Khaya species] as the host for the sandalwood?Maybe Chukrasia species would be suitable in tropical W.A as well !:2tsup:MaplemanAfrican mahogany has been tried as a host in kununurra unfortunatly it did too well,and one of the timber growing mobs then ellected to grow african mahogany instead of sandalwood!
Sesbania (sp) is the host of choice now