PDA

View Full Version : Leda power output--SKEW?

lubbing5cherubs
16th September 2007, 10:26 PM
HI Can you please tell me what is the leda power output? We do a lot of camping as a family and hubby is wondering what sort of inverter size would we be looking at to run a mini wood lathe. Does anyone know? Have you done this can you share what you have learnt?
thanks Toni

chrisb691
16th September 2007, 10:57 PM
Hi Toni.

Let me get this straight......you want to take the Leda on camping holidays with you???

Girl. I believe your addiction may have crossed some sort of line. :D

RETIRED
16th September 2007, 11:11 PM
HI Can you please tell me what is the leda power output? We do a lot of camping as a family and hubby is wondering what sort of inverter size would we be looking at to run a mini wood lathe.At least 1500Watts. Does anyone know? Have you done this can you share what you have learnt?
thanks ToniA 1500 Watt inverter running a 700 Watt motor is drawing approximately 70 Amps from your battery. It would flatten the average car battery in about 3/4 Hr,

To supply this amount of power you would have to leave the kids at home and fill the back floor with batteries.:D

A small generator (about 1KW) is a better way to go if you want to do this but I thought going on holidays was to get away from it all, not take it with you.:wink::D

thefixer
16th September 2007, 11:19 PM
:whs:

lubbing5cherubs
16th September 2007, 11:54 PM
haha no it different this was hubbies idea ...not mine but I not going to say no to him. He knows that I love it. The kids like fishing so this way we can both be happy. You see we go camping most weekends to one place or another. This is our family time
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2007, 01:10 AM
What said. :yes: The Leda's rated at 750W running, but can easily double that on startup.

Also as said, a small generator would be the go. :2tsup:

rsser
17th September 2007, 07:05 AM
(As a sometime camper who does go out there to get it away from it all, can I add in the nicest possible way that generators are an abomination, a pox and a curse? Apologies for OT post.)

hughie
17th September 2007, 07:22 AM
As a sometime camper who does go out there to get it away from it all, can I add in the nicest possible way that generators are an abomination, a pox and a curse?

I second that, how about powered site

Tankstand
17th September 2007, 07:38 AM
Or a lot of solar panels?

rsser
17th September 2007, 08:59 AM
A bicycle powered generator ;-} Lose weight, reduce CO2 emissions and get to have a heap of chats.

lubbing5cherubs
17th September 2007, 09:02 AM
We were not looking at a generator. We go fishing most time so a powered site is out the question. There no power beside the creeks. Just sandflies. ask my arms this morning..LOL
That why hubby was talking inverters but solar panels may be an option.
bye Toni

DavidG
17th September 2007, 09:13 AM
Forget the solar panels.
Would cost a fortune. ($7500) to power a lathe.
Require a large space.

Check out the Honda generators that are super silent.
You can hardly hear them.

RETIRED
17th September 2007, 09:36 AM
Agree with David. I also hate generators but can tolerate the new silent ones.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2007, 02:36 PM
Time to look at getting one of these? :D

lubbing5cherubs
17th September 2007, 02:45 PM
what that Skew an offer to make me one??? :D

Gil Jones
17th September 2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Toni,
Here is a site that lets you download free plans for a nice low power consumption treadle lathe. http://www.manytracks.com/lathe/lathe.pdf
Not noise, no air pollution, and good exercise while you turn. Plus, you could turn a ton of wooden flowers from the free branches of bushes along the river. I can hardly wait to see the pics....:2tsup::)

OGYT
17th September 2007, 03:17 PM
(Gil, you're nuts. :D )

Hi Toni. You go, Girl!! I vote for the little quiet generator. Take some other turnings with you (just to have on hand) - draw a crowd (it will) - sell a few (seein' you turn something will sell it.)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2007, 03:19 PM
Nice link, Gil. I can think of several small improvements (learned by building spinning wheels) but that's a pretty good starting plan.

I guess I could build you one, Toni... but the freight would be a killer. Pity, that! :innocent:

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2007, 06:51 PM
This gave me an idea please do not laugh but would a 12 speed gears of a bike work to make it go?? I got that...LOL I have not told hubby what I am talking about now he would shoot me
LOL
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2007, 07:28 PM
I can't see why not.

You'd have to take light cuts, but for pen turning that's not a problem, eh? :)

It'd be better if you could rig a fly-wheel (a heavy wheel, like in a treadle lathe) because that "smooths out" the power delivery and helps to ensure that it spins at a constant RPM.

Blast you, Toni! Now you've got me wondering... :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2007, 07:30 PM
haha LOL join the club

TOni

chrisb691
18th September 2007, 07:45 PM
How about jacking up the rear of the car, and running a belt drive off a rear tyre. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2007, 08:30 PM
I've seen that done!

From memory, there's also some footage on... YouTube, I think... that shows a similar setup for turning drum shells in just a few minutes.

Edit: Yup... just found it:

YouTube - Big Bore

Big Shed
18th September 2007, 09:20 PM
Man, that would make one HELL of a pen lathe:2tsup:

ss_11000
18th September 2007, 09:39 PM
coooool....

thanx for the vid skew.

cheers