PDA

View Full Version : Veritas #5 1/4 12" Bench Plane

Rocker
2nd October 2003, 09:12 AM
I have recently acquired one of these from Lee Valley Tools in Canada (www.leevalley.com). It replaces the Record 14" jack plane that I have had for 35 years. I am very happy with the high quality of the manufacture, and the excellent results I get from it. It is well worthwhile to order direct from Lee Valley. Their price is Can $ 259 (AU$281). Carbatec sells the smaller Veritas #4 1/2 smoothing plane for $739, whereas Lee Valley charges only
Can $249 (AU$270). You will have to pay Lee Valley about $50 for postage and packing, but it is still a good deal. I was not charged any duty.

Ivan in Oz
2nd October 2003, 11:36 AM
G'Day Rocker,
I understand with the Import Duty is that if you bring it in by Post
AND
It's value is under $500.oo you do not pay The Duty.

I've bought some MotoGuzzi parts from USA
and some items from Euorpe.
Neither required any Duty to be paid.:)

Ivan in Oz

chris_hewett
2nd October 2003, 04:29 PM
Just to clarify,

I believe that you will pay nothing if the total amount to be collected is less than $50.00 . Don't forget that some items attract GST of 10% AND DUTY, so the $500 limit stated is not always applicable. Ring customs and ask what the total duty + GST amount is for the items you are importing.

Cheers,

Chris

Dan
2nd October 2003, 09:11 PM
It is well worthwhile to order direct from Lee Valley. Their price is Can $ 259 (AU$281). Carbatec sells the smaller Veritas #4 1/2 smoothing plane for $739, whereas Lee Valley charges only
Can $249 (AU$270). You will have to pay Lee Valley about $50 for postage and packing, but it is still a good deal.

Bit of an understatement I think David. Even if duty and gst are/are not applicable, you're still miles ahead.