PDA

View Full Version : firefox bookmarks gone

Lignum
17th September 2007, 09:29 PM
Just logged on to the net, and i noticed i have 2 new entries up in the tool bar. "Getting started" and "latest headlines" and ALL my bookmarks have dissappeared:(

I have looked and looked, but they are gone.

Has anyone had this with firefox today? and is there a way to retrieve them back

Wood Butcher
17th September 2007, 09:42 PM
Has your version of Firefox updated in the last couple of days. It did it to me once when I upgraded.

Lignum
17th September 2007, 09:45 PM
It must have updated today. I had no idea it happened:(

Wood Butcher
17th September 2007, 09:51 PM
They may be an option deep in Firefox somewhere that allows automatic updates but not sure where.

Do a search on your c: drive for a file 'bookmarks.*'. There is a chance that it is not gone but merely misplaced.

Big Shed
17th September 2007, 10:04 PM
I use Firefox (2.0.0.6) and nothing has happened to my bookmarks.

I usually backup my bookmarks file before I do a regular backup of the HDD, Bookmarks->Organise Bookmarks->File->Export. I've got so many bookmarks now that I would hate to lose them.

bsrlee
18th September 2007, 12:38 AM
Have a look in the Recycle bin for the bookmarks file - it will have one or more letters replaced with a garbage character.

If all the above fails (everybodies, not just mine):

You can also try Windows 'roll back' provisions. Either try to 'restore' to a restore point a few days ago, or try un-installing the Firefox upgrade from the uninstall software menu.

But either or both of these could totally fry your bookmarks

Fuzzie
18th September 2007, 07:52 AM
I don't know why your bookmark file would have been deleted, I let Firefox update automagically whenever it wants to and haven't seen that problem. Have you got uptodate anti virus software working? Perhaps you accidently started a new user profile?

There is a great little utility for backing up and migrating both firefox and thunderbird data, it is called MozBackup.

Mozbackup is a better way to backup because it captures all user data, not just the bookmarks file.

les88
18th September 2007, 08:12 AM
My bookmarks disappeared two weeks ago my first thoughts were a virus but the AVG found nothing and I didn't update Firefox . If I get the message new updates for Firefox available now I do it and nothing happens to the bookmarks.
les

Big Shed
18th September 2007, 09:39 AM
There is a great little utility for backing up and migrating both firefox and thunderbird data, it is called MozBackup.

Mozbackup is a better way to backup because it captures all user data, not just the bookmarks file.

Thanks for that tip Fuzzie, will download that asap.

munruben
18th September 2007, 02:44 PM
Just logged on to the net, and i noticed i have 2 new entries up in the tool bar. "Getting started" and "latest headlines" and ALL my bookmarks have dissappeared:(
I have those new tabs on my firefox but the bookmarks are still there. maybe you should do a restore.

Lignum
18th September 2007, 08:16 PM
maybe you should do a restore.

:? How do i do that :)

K_S
18th September 2007, 08:56 PM
:? How do i do that :)

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, follow the prompts - pick a date and OK. Will reboot. (Win XP Classic Look)

Lignum
18th September 2007, 08:58 PM
Im still on the old windows 2000:(

Wood Butcher
18th September 2007, 10:03 PM
Did you do a search Lignum? I found out last night that my firefox automatically creates back-ups of the bookmarks.htm file. Not sure if this is an automatic thing or if I might have turned it on ages ago.

Lignum
18th September 2007, 10:11 PM
where did you find that? I looked, and the only bookmark back up was the IE one and i dont care about that.
I tried to search firefox but had no idea

Dan
18th September 2007, 10:45 PM
I've just started to use Firefox (default in Ubuntu Linux) and a quick Google turned this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks) up.

Lignum
18th September 2007, 11:03 PM
I've just started to use Firefox (default in Ubuntu Linux) and a quick Google turned this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks) up.

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Fantastic, made my day thanks. Found:D

wheelinround
19th September 2007, 10:15 AM
There has been over the last few months spats of this going round not just for Firefox but other browsers also.

Firefox has an addon Foxmarks or there are others whic allow you to save bookmarks https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:22

Firefox did an update this morning 2.0.0.7

jisk
19th September 2007, 11:00 AM
Lignum, was it just firefox that screwed up or did you also lose some other application and desktop look & feel settings? Your windows user profile may have become corrupted, if so.

I use firefox and haven't had my bookmarks disappear... BUT there is something you can do to make sure it doesn't happen again, even if you don't get them back. Install the foxmarks firefox extension from here (http://www.foxmarks.com/). Foxmarks synchronises your bookmarks with their servers. I use it to synchronise bookmarks between firefox at work and home, and it will automatically load your bookmarks on new PCs, etc, when you install the foxmarks plugin.