PDA

View Full Version : Vista Business

John Saxton
17th September 2007, 09:44 PM
Just wondering has anyone used this and what are their views?

Have a new notebook on order with Vista Business loaded and would appreciate folks perspective on it.

TIA

Cheers:)

Fuzzie
17th September 2007, 10:29 PM
I got a new laptop with vista and have now downgraded to XP pro. A lot of my old software simply didn't work on Vista and I spent a lot of time also just answering 'yes allow' to questions which weren't immediately obvious for what was running. It may be security, but its also a bit like allowing the Chasers motorcade through....just in case....

Interestingly I notice that Lenovo/IBM is now offering to supply XP pro downgrade disks with all vista laptop systems now.

John Saxton
17th September 2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Fuzzie , thanks for that insight into Vista ...have heard that it's not all it's mean't to be.

Cheers:)

Stringy
17th September 2007, 10:37 PM
Have Vh on lt and xp on pc, Vh is slow pos! heaps of windows to close all the time, have to type in password for mail each time I log on etc. Thinking of installing xp:~.

lesmeyer
17th September 2007, 10:42 PM
When using Vista Home Premium (oxymoron) or Business do not even contemplate without at least 2GB memory.
Les
Still using XP. Dell PC purchased earlier this year was special ordered with XP pro.

Stringy
18th September 2007, 08:50 PM
It got 2gb memory!

batcat
19th September 2007, 01:09 AM
I had read all the 'horror stories'' about vista, but having the advantage of HD in removable caddies, decided to load vista on a spare knowing that I could swap back to XP in seconds.
All my hardware loaded without dramas, (I did d/load vista drivers from relevant manufactures sites for printer, scanner, camera).
I do have a relatively new computer (quad core/2g ram)

The software I use all loaded OK too.
So far, only problem I have had was IE7 hanging, a quick google fixed that, (disabled skype addin for IE7).

I didnt like the look/feel of aero glass so changed to vista basic 'appearance'.
I dont have the problem reported in other post in regard to having to 'type in password for mail each time I log on'.

'I spent a lot of time also just answering 'yes allow' to questions which weren't immediately obvious for what was running'
That can be turned off, however I dont find it overly intrusive or annoying, only time I seem to get it is when installing new software.

Certainly I have found that post processing large photos in photoshop vista seems to be faster than XP in _my_ experience anyway.

I remember (shudder I'm old) when windows 3.11 first came on the scene and the DOS diehards were 'outraged' and with each new version of windows (95/98/xp and now vista) all the negativity that each new version created.
I was expecting problems, but in reality they havent happened, just getting used to a different interface is all.
I have not wanted to spend the literally few seconds to pull out the caddie and go back to Xp so far.

With your new laptop, 'relatively' new software and an open mind it may not cause you too many headaches either.

Cliff Rogers
19th September 2007, 10:20 AM
...I remember (shudder I'm old) when windows 3.11 first came on the scene .....
I can remember one customer in Townsville who got a new computer with Windows 2.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2.0) & she would use the mouse upside down. :D

munruben
27th October 2007, 02:22 PM
I installed Vista on one of my computers but took it off after most of my hardware wasn't compatible with Vista. Running XP again at the moment but will probably go back to Vista when I upgrade or update my computer. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess.

Master Splinter
28th October 2007, 08:32 AM
Rather than beat them or join them, install Linux and avoid them.

A good rule of thumb for windows operating systems is never to buy them till the first service pack comes out. (Actually, an even better rule would be 'never buy them'.)

Why do you guys need all that firewall/anti-virus/spyware stuff anyway...oh, thats right, it's Windows.....