PDA

View Full Version : moreton lathe

neil mapherson
2nd October 2003, 04:08 PM
Could somebody advise to the suitability of a moreton lathe ,as against a woodfast ,as they are built of steel not cast iron

jamesy
9th October 2003, 09:58 PM
Mac

Moreton were a top lathe, but if you are looking at one with a steel bed ,it is probably an oldy made down a Hemmant and may have a shaft thread in imperial something like 11/8 " or 11/4" and difficult to match with current off the shelf accessories. The Woodfast- new or old is easier to find accessories for, I can't say anything about replacement bearings.

Both good tough lathes, just look at the potential add ons in the future, also have a look at the centre height.

Jim Carroll
10th October 2003, 08:48 AM
There are inserts available for the Morton Lathe 1 1/8" x 7tpi BSW Right hand. These will fit the nova & supernova chucks. The main bother you will have is if you need faceplates but as it is second hand it may well come with these. The other alternative is the faceplate ringss that you can now get to suit the chucks. Either lathe would be a good buy, it is up to you to have a close look at both and see which way you want to go. Check alingment of the spur drive and live centre as they should line up and any damage to the lathe bed that makes the tailstock hard to move and the cross slide should move freely. try and give it a run and listen for any unusual noises on low speed & high speed.

Bender73
13th June 2019, 06:27 AM
Can anybody help me? I inherited a moreton machine tools lathe with 3m bed. The lathe came with end plates only. Ive just been given a second hand chuck but need to find the correct adaptor. The thread on the moreton is approx 35mm. I'm not having much joy.

Kidbee
13th June 2019, 03:53 PM
Can anybody help me? I inherited a moreton machine tools lathe with 3m bed. The lathe came with end plates only. Ive just been given a second hand chuck but need to find the correct adaptor. The thread on the moreton is approx 35mm. I'm not having much joy.

I wonder if Enzo at Vermec, Kippa Ring QLD could make one up for you.