PDA

View Full Version : Sealing sandstone

BenFiggis
3rd October 2003, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I put up a sandstone front wall a year ago, and the top has gone mouldy and crumbly from the rain.

Can anyone recommend a product or formula for sealing sandstone?

I have seen a couple of possibilities in Bunnings but they come in small (2 litre) cans and would cost a fortune to apply to the whole wall.

Many thanks,

- Ben

re do 4 u
3rd October 2003, 08:19 PM
i have sandstone clad retaining walls in my front yard that have been there for 10 yrs and they haven't been treated with anything, they look as new. i also have s/stone around the pool that started to break down after only 18mths because of the salt, and it is the same stone. i have seen walls by the sea made from sandstone that wasn't worn or crumbling, so maybe it is in the quality of the stone.

it could be soft stone or something else that is the problem. is the stone always wet?? i would try to find out why the stone is breaking down b4 i coated it with anything.. and try to fix the problem.

i tried driveway sealer on the pool surround but it just peeled off after a few months and it looked worse than b4 the coating went on. now i just live with the stone wearing away knowing that i will have to replace it sometime in the future. i guess it will last another 10yrs.

good luck.

Theva
3rd October 2003, 08:29 PM
Ben,

Wattyl has a sealer which comes in 20 lit drums. Check with your local Wattyl pro paint shop; surface preperation is very important.

Regards,

Theva