PDA

View Full Version : Ida Lloyd sinks!

Wild Dingo
20th September 2007, 12:58 PM
And so yet another chapter in the story of the Broome Pearling Luggars has sunk when the Ida Lloyd apparently broke her moorings and sank

There are so few Pearl Luggars left afloat and in good order that its a damned national disgrace that the Australian national museum and others dont do something about their historical sygnificance to this country... to many are being left to rot and die.

Ida Lloyd wasnt one of them she was apparently well kept and well loved... but she like Redbill like Buccaeallech (sp?) like Trixen and like so so many others are gone

A sad day in our maritime history :C

Old Paul
20th September 2007, 01:23 PM
Thats unreal, the better half and I only did a sunset cruise on her about 4 weeks ago. What a loss.:(

Wild Dingo
20th September 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes sad indeed... I believe theres now only about 40 or so left in any sort of condition near seaworthy out of thousands built over the years... TonyH will hopefully kick in shortly and give some more info on her

trouble is our governments state and federal let alone local dont give a shyte... use them for tourist trade but do something about moorings? not a bloody chance... and so we will continue to loose ever more of our once rich maritime history :C

bsrlee
21st September 2007, 01:48 AM
The question is: is she salvageable or is she a write-off?

Wild Dingo
21st September 2007, 01:44 PM
I think the juries still out on that one bsrlee... last I heard they were sending a couple of divers down to see what can be done if anything

Tony Hunt
21st September 2007, 01:50 PM
The news I've heard is that they're trying but it's tricky - she's right in amongst the breakers so it's only a question of time before she disintegrates and then it's all over.

A very sad thing.

Wild Dingo
21st September 2007, 09:41 PM
Gidday there young fella! :2tsup: Hows things been over there in Sidelly? :;

So how did you get on with Viking? Did you get it all done? wanna flick a few scans over thisaway ol mate? :;

You keep me in the loop with her will you Tony?... youve got the contacts old mate she was a beautiful one wasnt she! such a shame if they cant... but we will focus our thoughts on believing they will

Good to see your name again Tony :2tsup:

Tony Hunt
23rd November 2007, 02:43 PM
Here's the latest on Ida Lloyd, not good news I'm afraid.

"As for IDA LLOYD, it is with great regret that I think we can say she is gone. All the insurance company is doing is paying someone to pick up the bits as they come ashore. She's lost the masts and all but the fore deck. The hull is probably still entirely intact, but without the deck, no longer salvageable. Still, her owner has saved a significant amount of material, like the complete rig - which ironically belonged to CORNELIUS, lost on the same beach...."